cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Listen
6 min

Comment14

Add to your saved stories
Save
A super PAC supporting Sen. Tim Scott’s White House bid told donors that it plans to cut fall ad buys, a sign of the stagnation in the 2024 GOP race as Donald Trump maintains a dominant lead less than 100 days before the Iowa caucuses.

Keeping up with politics is easy with The 5-Minute Fix Newsletter, in your inbox weekdays.

In a memo to donors, Rob Collins, co-chair of the Trust in the Mission PAC, wrote: “We aren’t going to waste our money when the electorate isn’t focused or ready for a Trump alternative. We have done the research. We have studied the focus groups. We have been following Tim on the trail. This electorate is locked up and money spent on mass media isn’t going to change minds until we get a lot closer to voting."

Collins added that the super PAC will continue to “fully fund our grassroots door knocking, conduit fundraising, event hosting, and earned media efforts."

The dramatic move to pull back on ad spending is an acknowledgment of the South Carolina Republican’s struggle to build a viable base of support in the race. Scott, the only Black Republican in the Senate, is running on a message of hope and optimism as well as his life story.
But despite his cash advantage over rivals to Trump — entering the race with $22 million from his Senate campaign — and the millions he has spent on ads, the senator has yet to break through.
For months, Trump has remained the dominant polling leader, with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis polling in a distant second. The memo acknowledged that while the super PAC prepared for the field to narrow, that dynamic has not materialized.

Earlier this summer, the super PAC announced that it would reserve $40 million in television and digital ads in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Scott, who officially launched his campaign in May after forming an exploratory committee, is registering at 3 percent in a Washington Post average of September and October polling. In May 2023, he was averaging at 2 percent. A mid-September CBS News/YouGov poll showed Scott polling at 6 percent in Iowa and 5 percent in New Hampshire, among likely GOP voters.
Scott’s campaign showed an astonishingly high burn rate in the third quarter — spending nearly three times as much as he raised over the past three months. His official campaign and the allied super PAC have been among the biggest spenders in the 2024 race on television ads.

A campaign aide defended the early spending on ads that far surpassed what the campaign was bringing in, as Scott was seeking to establish national name recognition.

Reactions: Torg
While I'm sure that most people here detest Scott , and from my perspective he was a pretty bad candidate in that his messaging sounded like that of a legislator rather than an executive, I will say that it was at least refreshing to have someone try, at least for a little while, to express positivity.

Scott seems like he would be a good leader.

His debate performances haven't gone well, largely because of the way the questioning went and the rules set up that allow for a response when another candidate invokes your name. It was almost as if they forgot about him and a few others on the debate stage.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
While I'm sure that most people here detest Scott , and from my perspective he was a pretty bad candidate in that his messaging sounded like that of a legislator rather than an executive, I will say that it was at least refreshing to have someone try, at least for a little while, to express positivity.
I’ve got the candidate for you, all about positivity.

actor-richard-simmons-poses-for-a-portrait-in-1992-in-los-news-photo-1661785912.jpg

Scott seems like he would be a good leader.

His debate performances haven't gone well, largely because of the way the questioning went. It was almost as if they forgot about him and a few others on the debate stage.
They especially forgot about Dre.

What was positive?

Reactions: This_Hawk_Abides
He seems kind of nice, but he refused to say why he was different than Trump, and refused to attack the guy who tried to overthrow the government while he was sitting in the Capitol with shock troops heading towards him. Which, probably wouldn't have helped since the majority of the GOP primary base is pro coup.

The ads galore for him I've been seeing on YT today (and Nikki Haley, plus some PAC touting the "anybody but Trump" angle) must have been bought prior - they've been fast and furious, but the same old same old all his ads are. Few words per sentence, short cliche type stuff "we will back the blue, we will stop the cartels, the story of MY life..." etc.

He very well may be a nice guy, honest, and means well - but these are the same ads I've been seeing for him since he announced. So, if they ain't gaining traction with voters, might be time to change the message in them.

My personal opinion is republican voters don't really want a Mr. Nice Guy given whom is occupying the top two spots currently. They want, for lack of a better way to state it - an asshole.

The dramatic move to pull back on ad spending is an acknowledgment of the South Carolina Republican’s struggle to build a viable base of support in the race. Scott, the only Black Republican in the Senate, is running on a message of hope and optimism as well as his life story.
But despite his cash advantage over rivals to Trump — entering the race with $22 million from his Senate campaign — and the millions he has spent on ads, the senator has yet to break through.
For months, Trump has remained the dominant polling leader, with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis polling in a distant second. The memo acknowledged that while the super PAC prepared for the field to narrow, that dynamic has not materialized.

Earlier this summer, the super PAC announced that it would reserve $40 million in television and digital ads in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.
So they're going to return the leftover money to the Billionaire donors, right ;)

What a boondoggle these SuperPacs are turning into. Lot's of dollars in reserve to shuffle to your allies, secret boyfriend/mistress in consulting fees. We live in the golden age of political graft.

So they're going to return the leftover money to the Billionaire donors, right ;)

What a boondoggle these SuperPacs are turning into. Lot's of dollars in reserve to shuffle to your allies, secret boyfriend/mistress in consulting fees. We live in the golden age of political graft.
And, it's legal now. Just gotta fill out the right forms, incorporate, turn in some bogus tax forms, and you're good.

I keep coming back to this thread. It's been discussed once or twice before about do you feel sorry for the sensible Republicans these days? No, no I don't. They had their chance to chart a different course. They could have a party built on guys like Tim Scott, but they chose to dangle power in front of the nuts. They decided that they could bring the crazies and the kooks into the GOP and control them. The brand loyal Republicans have only themselves to blame.

In a memo to donors, Rob Collins, co-chair of the Trust in the Mission PAC, wrote: “We aren’t going to waste our money when the electorate isn’t focused or ready for a Trump alternative. We have done the research. We have studied the focus groups.
A more sobering statement has likely never been written. Bad news for America, equally bad news for the world at large. America is truly the land of the dumbest MFers.

I keep coming back to this thread. It's been discussed once or twice before about do you feel sorry for the sensible Republicans these days? No, no I don't. They had their chance to chart a different course. They could have a party built on guys like Tim Scott, but they chose to dangle power in front of the nuts. They decided that they could bring the crazies and the kooks into the GOP and control them. The brand loyal Republicans have only themselves to blame.
The “sensible” Republicans are now trapped for the reason you stated. Fearful of publicly opposing Trump, how will they behave when Trump wins the nomination?

My US Senators (Thune and Rounds) have publicly endorsed no-chance Scott. But they will not directly criticize Trump.

They will inevitably face the question they have hoped would never happen: do you endorse Donald Trump for re-election to President? I expect more of what they have exhibited for 8 years now: shrinking weasels.

Reactions: Ree4 and auntie_fah
He's been running 3rd in Iowa correct? Would his endorsement help anyone.

Listen
6 min

Comment14

Add to your saved stories
Save
A super PAC supporting Sen. Tim Scott’s White House bid told donors that it plans to cut fall ad buys, a sign of the stagnation in the 2024 GOP race as Donald Trump maintains a dominant lead less than 100 days before the Iowa caucuses.

Keeping up with politics is easy with The 5-Minute Fix Newsletter, in your inbox weekdays.

In a memo to donors, Rob Collins, co-chair of the Trust in the Mission PAC, wrote: “We aren’t going to waste our money when the electorate isn’t focused or ready for a Trump alternative. We have done the research. We have studied the focus groups. We have been following Tim on the trail. This electorate is locked up and money spent on mass media isn’t going to change minds until we get a lot closer to voting."

Collins added that the super PAC will continue to “fully fund our grassroots door knocking, conduit fundraising, event hosting, and earned media efforts."

Scott, who officially launched his campaign in May after forming an exploratory committee, is registering at 3 percent in a Washington Post average of September and October polling. In May 2023, he was averaging at 2 percent. A mid-September CBS News/YouGov poll showed Scott polling at 6 percent in Iowa and 5 percent in New Hampshire, among likely GOP voters.
Scott’s campaign showed an astonishingly high burn rate in the third quarter — spending nearly three times as much as he raised over the past three months. His official campaign and the allied super PAC have been among the biggest spenders in the 2024 race on television ads.

A campaign aide defended the early spending on ads that far surpassed what the campaign was bringing in, as Scott was seeking to establish national name recognition.

They are nothing but BS lies anyway. Glad I don't have to see them anymore.

Reactions: cigaretteman
The ads galore for him I've been seeing on YT today (and Nikki Haley, plus some PAC touting the "anybody but Trump" angle) must have been bought prior - they've been fast and furious, but the same old same old all his ads are. Few words per sentence, short cliche type stuff "we will back the blue, we will stop the cartels, the story of MY life..." etc.

He very well may be a nice guy, honest, and means well - but these are the same ads I've been seeing for him since he announced. So, if they ain't gaining traction with voters, might be time to change the message in them.

My personal opinion is republican voters don't really want a Mr. Nice Guy given whom is occupying the top two spots currently. They want, for lack of a better way to state it - an asshole.
He's not honest. Far from it.

Reactions: cigaretteman
He’s down 50 points to a guy with 90+ indictments, a history or raping women, a history of fraud, a man who called Hezbollah smart, a functional illiterate… So, Scott hit the airwaves this week with a new transphobic ad.

Tim Scott's ads made him sound like a black Trump instead of orange..." I'll finish the wall "...

The “sensible” Republicans are now trapped for the reason you stated. Fearful of publicly opposing Trump, how will they behave when Trump wins the nomination?

My US Senators (Thune and Rounds) have publicly endorsed no-chance Scott. But they will not directly criticize Trump.

They will inevitably face the question they have hoped would never happen: do you endorse Donald Trump for re-election to President? I expect more of what they have exhibited for 8 years now: shrinking weasels.
Glad i'm living in Penna and don't have to put up with the crazy cons and their weird ideas and idiots they tried to push on us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT