ADVERTISEMENT

Supercharged flooding caused by climate change is threatening the region of the US that least believes in climate change . . .

I was today years old when I learned the laws of physics don’t apply to the catastrophic effects of man-made climate change:
• “The rapid burst of sea level rise has struck a region spanning from Brownsville, Tex., to Cape Hatteras, N.C.”

Imagine believing that the water levels aren’t exactly the same twenty miles south of Brownsville as they are twenty miles north of Cape Hatteras.

But if the Washington Post says it must be so then it must be so.
FUNFACT: Sea level rise isn't the exact same, everywhere.

Good point- also exacerbated by climate change.
R.ab2370c5c5fb83f2adbd0207a1928f60

Everyone should do their part.

I ditched one car and now ride my e-bike anytime it’s 35 degrees or warmer and I have less than 20 miles to travel.

We also stopped buying factory farmed meat and get all our meat and egg products from a local farm.

It’s not that hard to take relatively easy steps that do quite a bit to reduce your footprint. And if everyone did 2 or 3 things, it would have a tremendous multiplying effect.

Your presumption that no one puts their money where their mouth is and everyone is a hypocrite is deeply cynical and factually incorrect.
what? you're actually trying to conserve/wisely use resources and keep more money in the local, non-corporate economy?

what a loser!!! NERD!!!!

Reactions: torbee
Those that believe in man made climate change but own big homes, big cars, boats, and do a lot of travel should be praised ?

Joe Red neck that lives in the sticks has a far smaller carbon footprint then the ribbon wearing loser that loves to say they care but lives like they don’t.
You don't understand what those people want to do. Living in a way to minimize your carbon footprint doesn't mean you have to move into a tiny house in the woods that doesn't have plumbing or electricity. Besides, the end user is the least efficient way of dealing with it. The manufacturers and power producers are likely the only way to effectively address the problem.

Here is the truth. Bla bla bla. That’s what is being done. Nothing.

I just hope people keep screaming they care, while doing more harm than the redneck who thinks it’s all fake and so poor he can’t have a big home or travel or own a bunch of gas guzzling adult toys.

Carry on. Maybe if you care really hard and pound your chest it will magically get cold.

Or have a few more families move into your big home, never fly or travel again, and drive electric cars.
Oh, well when you logically lay out your argument like this you are super more credible.

Reactions: billanole
You don't understand what those people want to do. Living in a way to minimize your carbon footprint doesn't mean you have to move into a tiny house in the woods that doesn't have plumbing or electricity. Besides, the end user is the least efficient way of dealing with it. The manufacturers and power producers are likely the only way to effectively address the problem.
Have you ever considered owning a bridge? I know where you can get one at a real good price.

Sure. All those giant SUVs double king cab trucks multiple homes boats European vacations and 3000 square foot homes don’t hurt anything. It’s the utility company

God damn where is my “I care more than you Ribbon”? Because I sure as hell don’t want to compare reality.

Maybe we need a carbon footprint tax. We can look at home(s) vehicles and travel and come up with an environmental impact tax. I would give that tax revenue to those with a small impact. Regardless of politics.

Guessing your average upper crust traveling soccer mom liberal family in Waukee will pay a hell of a lot more that the piss poor trailer trash flying a trump flag while enjoying their weekend entertainment of a 12 pack of Busch Light on their shitty picnic table.

Environment impact is what matters not a persons mood, beliefs, or opinion is.

Last edited:
Sure. All those giant SUVs double king cab trucks multiple homes boats European vacations and 3000 square foot homes don’t hurt anything. It’s the utility company

God damn where is my “I care more than you Ribbon”? Because I sure as hell don’t want to compare reality.

Maybe we need a carbon footprint tax. We can look at home(s) vehicles and travel and come up with an environmental impact tax.

Guessing your average upper crust traveling soccer mom liberal family in Waukee will pay a hell of a lot more that the piss poor trailer trash flying a trump flag while enjoying their weekend entertainment of a 12 pack of Busch Light on their shitty picnic table.

Environment impact is what matters not a persons mood, beliefs, or opinion is.
I would fully support a carbon tax. Any economic incentive to decrease your carbon footprint is an effective one because ultimately, that's all people care about. But it's not liberals that are blocking a carbon tax policy from happening.

Also, if you live in an area that is powered by wind, solar, or nuclear and you have electric heating then you actually have a pretty small carbon footprint for powering and heating/cooling your home, even if your home itself is less efficient at doing those things. If the easiest vehicles to own and operate are electric, people will buy them. That's why it is far more effective to change the policies at the points of production rather than asking 300 million people to go out of their way to do things. Especially since you will never get more than half of them to do it, so whatever changes the other half make actually don't accomplish anything because the other half refuses to change.

I believe our climate is changing. I live on the water. There's nothing I can do about it. I'll stay here till either A) I die or B) I'm under water. It is what it is.

I would fully support a carbon tax. Any economic incentive to decrease your carbon footprint is an effective one because ultimately, that's all people care about. But it's not liberals that are blocking a carbon tax policy from happening.
1990's GOP actually supported (I think they were the ones who came up with) the "revenue-neutral carbon tax" idea.

That GOP doesn't exist, anymore...

You gotta love the irony.

These supercharged floods are one of the most pernicious impacts of an unexpected surge in sea levels across the U.S. Gulf and southeast coasts — with the ocean rising an average of 6 inches since 2010, one of the fastest such changes in the world, according to a Washington Post examination of how sea level rise is affecting the region.

The Post’s analysis found that sea levels at a tide gauge near the Fowl River rose four times faster in 2010 to 2023 than over the previous four decades.

The rapid burst of sea level rise has struck a region spanning from Brownsville, Tex., to Cape Hatteras, N.C., where coastal counties are home to 28 million people. Outdatedinfrastructure built to manage water, some of it over a century old, cannot keep up. As a result, the seas are swallowing coastal land, damaging property, submerging septic tanks and making key roads increasingly impassable.

“Our canary in the coal mine for sea level rise is storm water flooding,” said Renee Collini, director of the Community Resilience Center at the Water Institute. “Each inch up of sea level rise reduces the effectiveness of our storm water to drain and the only place left for it to go is into our roads, yards, homes and businesses.”

From his home on Dauphin Island, Rice said he’s seen the arrival of much higher tides.

“I really don’t think people think about it,” Rice said. “They see it on TV and think it’s some kind of liberal hoax. But it’s not. If you live on the water, you’re on the water, you can see that it’s actually justified.”

When you filter by county, things are more nuanced.

IMG-4147.png

The reality is there really isn't this huge difference between the states.

Deep red Florida is sitting at 73% (above the national average). Even Wyoming and West Virginia are well over 60%.

I think to make real progress globally we need a game changing technological advancement like cold fusion technology but it doesn't look like that's something that'll be usable any time soon.

Florida isn't "deep red."

Reactions: ericram
When American adults last month were given a list of issues and asked to judge their importance, “climate change” scored near the bottom, with only 45 percent considering it “very important”, alongside “issues of race and diversity” at 40 percent.

Compare that with the list-toppers: the economy (82 percent), inflation (79 percent), and crime (65 percent), according to the CBS News poll conducted last month by YouGov. When real problems arise, fake ones tend to fade.

Joes Place AKA Chicken Little

Just following the math, bro.

Sea level rise acceleration (observed, which DOES NOT include much for land-ice losses yet) indicates:

For 2100:
+2.5 ft
(nominal)
+3.1 ft (upper bound - which is more likely when Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets start losing mass into the sea)

For 2224 (200 years from now, which was what my post stated):
+13.3 ft (nominal)
+16.9 ft (upper bound)

Those numbers are based on the yearly increases and acceleration values observed currently by satellite.

Everyone should do their part.

I ditched one car and now ride my e-bike anytime it’s 35 degrees or warmer and I have less than 20 miles to travel.

We also stopped buying factory farmed meat and get all our meat and egg products from a local farm.

It’s not that hard to take relatively easy steps that do quite a bit to reduce your footprint. And if everyone did 2 or 3 things, it would have a tremendous multiplying effect.

Your presumption that no one puts their money where their mouth is and everyone is a hypocrite is deeply cynical and factually incorrect.
Congrats on being proactive. Have you sold your lake house and motor boat?

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
Just following the math, bro.

Sea level rise acceleration (observed, which DOES NOT include much for land-ice losses yet) indicates:

For 2100:
+2.5 ft
(nominal)
+3.1 ft (upper bound - which is more likely when Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets start losing mass into the sea)

For 2224 (200 years from now, which was what my post stated):
+13.3 ft (nominal)
+16.9 ft (upper bound)

Those numbers are based on the yearly increases and acceleration values observed currently by satellite.
LOL - I'm not abandoning my fossil fueled vehicles so in 200 years the temperature might drop 1 degree.

Instead of learning something from undoubtedly listening to the wrong people when it comes to Climate Change over the last 20-30 years (Al Gore was right on the money! Rush and Fox News et al not so much!), of course the reaction of these types of dudes is to treat the issue as just more culture war fodder. I guess it is easier to go through another round of trashing out the imaginary libturds in your head than putting a little thought into the actual issue itself.

We're so effed, maybe we were anyway.

Reactions: lucas80
We're so effed, maybe we were anyway
That’s where I am and have been for a while. It’s obvious we’re not going to act until long after it’s too late. “I told you so” just won’t have that satisfying feel, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT