ADVERTISEMENT

Supreme Court halts COVID-19 vaccine rule for US businesses

You might want to brush up on some of those old civics classes. Congress passed a law that gives OSHA the power to enact emergency standards when employees are exposed to toxic or harmful substances in the workplace.
I’m shocked the Biden administration did not retain your counsel in preparation for arguing the case. Shocked.

Similar to Obama saying that he was the president and not the king,.. Dems know the rules, they just don't want to abide by them.
Not constitutional. Overreach of presidential power. Sounds like grounds for impeachment to me.

Omicron numbers will plummet in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Count it as a W would be my advice
Hmmm. You may be right, although me getting the virus this week, despite being jabbed, doesn't help my opinion of Joe, and certainly doesn't give him a win in my eyes. By the time all those test kits are made and distributed, omicron will have already gotten over the curve.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Hmmm. You may be right, although me getting the virus this week, despite being jabbed, doesn't help my opinion of Joe, and certainly doesn't give him a win in my eyes. By the time all those test kits are made and distributed, omicron will have already gotten over the curve.
Take the W’s where you can create them at this point

Reactions: Finance85
The way I see it, if you own a business and you decide that you don't want to employ people who aren't vaccinated, that's your decision. But the government shouldn't have the authority to order businesses to fire everyone who's not vaccinated.
Good thing the federal government didn’t order businesses to fire everyone who’s not vaccinated.

Congress passed a law that gives OSHA the power to enact emergency standards when employees are exposed to toxic or harmful substances in the workplace.
You didn't answer my question from the previous page. Assuming the "toxic or harmful" substance in this situation is the virus, do vaccines protect you from exposure to the virus?

Reactions: LuciousBDragon
Good thing the federal government didn’t order businesses to fire everyone who’s not vaccinated.
Yeah, just the 80 million or so people who work for companies with 100+ employees.

And let's not forget that New York City ordered every private business to fire unvaccinated workers.

Not constitutional. Overreach of presidential power. Sounds like grounds for impeachment to me.
Well pretty sure just about every President except the dude who was only in office for a month should have been impeached then. But just to get this straight, you don't think obstruction of justice is grounds for impeachment, but losing a SCOTUS case is. Nice.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
You didn't answer my question from the previous page. Assuming the "toxic or harmful" substance in this situation is the virus, do vaccines protect you from exposure to the virus?
Only to a minimal extent. But the standard would not require that the vaccines protect employees from contracting the virus, only that it “protect employees from [the] danger.” The vaccines clearly protect employees from the virus because they dramatically reduce the risk of serious illness, hospitalization and death.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
They used a lot more words, sure, but that's the gist of what they said. Ultimately, that's the gist of any ruling SCOTUS rules against. Otherwise, they shouldn't be ruling against it.
No, when you paraphrased, you inserted your own meaning.

Only to a minimal extent. But the standard would not require that the vaccines protect employees from contracting the virus, only that it “protect employees from [the] danger.” The vaccines clearly protect employees from the virus because they dramatically reduce the risk of serious illness, hospitalization and death.
You brought up meat packing plants earlier in this thread. Let's say you're working in a processing plant and you're fully vaccinated and boosted. If the guy working next to you is unvaccinated, does his unvaccinated status make you any more likely to experience severe illness, hospitalization, or death?

It seems to me that at this point, Omicron spreads to whomever it wants to spread and it's up to each individual whether or not they want the extra protection for themselves.

Reactions: Finance85
No, when you paraphrased, you inserted your own meaning.
Well if it wasn't unconstitutional then I guess they just did it for politics. Not exactly the stance I would have expected you to take but here we are.

Well pretty sure just about every President except the dude who was only in office for a month should have been impeached then. But just to get this straight, you don't think obstruction of justice is grounds for impeachment, but losing a SCOTUS case is. Nice.
Dems established the precedent

You brought up meat packing plants earlier in this thread. Let's say you're working in a processing plant and you're fully vaccinated and boosted. If the guy working next to you is unvaccinated, does his unvaccinated status make you any more likely to experience severe illness, hospitalization, or death?

It seems to me that at this point, Omicron spreads to whomever it wants to spread and it's up to each individual whether or not they want the extra protection for themselves.
I understand what you are saying, but the text of the statute is such that the distinction does not matter. The statute requires that the standard be necessary to protect employees from the danger (i.e., COVID-19). The vaccine clearly accomplishes that.

I understand what you are saying, but the text of the statute is such that the distinction does not matter. The statute requires that the standard be necessary to protect employees from the danger (i.e., COVID-19). The vaccine clearly accomplishes that.

Unless you work for a small employer. Then you'll be okay with no mandate.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I need to read the opinion again, but under the reading by the three in the minority, wouldn’t OSHA be able to require flu shots?
No. Doubtful that any court would consider the flu a “grave danger” necessitating the implementation of an emergency standard.

Dems established the precedent
WTF are you talking about? Democrats impeach when the President commits crimes. GOP members impeach because they are jealous they didn't get the BJ too. Or something like that.

Unless you work for a small employer. Then you'll be okay with no mandate.
I agree, but it is also well-established practice to cut small employers slack when the burden of the action is deemed too onerous. Or at least that's the usual excuse. No doubt there are other reasons like compliance and enforcement.

Having the mandate apply just to businesses with 100+ employees is not a reason to infer that the action being taken isn't, in fact, aimed at safety in the workplace.

I agree but it is also well-established practice to cut small employers slack when the burden of the action is deemed too onerous. Or at least that's the usual excuse. No doubt there are other reasons like compliance and enforcement.

That's not a reason to infer that the action being taken isn't, in fact, aimed at safety in the workplace.

That would be great if the vaccine worked as advertised.

But it doesn't.

It does.

Reduces hospitalization risks by like 90%

The MAIN reason ICUs are full right now is UNvaccinated idiots.
It clearly reduces hospitalization risks. But we were promised somewhere in the neighborhood of 91% protection against breakthrough infection. And here we are a year later with 3x as many new infections as we ever had when the vaccines didn't even exist yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT