ADVERTISEMENT

Take Trump at his word when he threatens to punish his enemies

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Donald Trump has vowed, repeatedly, to weaponize state power against his political enemies if granted a second term.
Voters should take him at his word, for two reasons: First, he tried to do this before, marshaling government might against individuals, demographic groups and specific businesses. He was constrained only by courts and uncooperative aides. Second, he’s assembling the infrastructure necessary to clear these obstacles next time.

Make sense of the news fast with Opinions' daily newsletter

In recent remarks, the former president has pledged to pulverize his opponents if he reenters the Oval Office. During an interview last week on Univision, for instance, he spoke of deploying the FBI and Justice Department against political rivals in retaliation for their alleged persecution of him.

“If I happen to be president, and I see somebody who’s doing well and beating me very badly, I say, ‘Go down and indict them,’” he said. “They’d be out of business. They’d be out of the election.”

A few days later, in a Veterans Day address, he vowed as president to “root out the communists, Marxists, fascist and the radical-left thugs that live like vermin within the confines of our country.” This was no heat-of-the-moment slip; he blasted out the same phrasing on social media, too.

This rhetoric would be horrifying even if one didn’t interpret it literally, given the history of authoritarian leaders who have compared disfavored groups to “vermin.” And it can be genuinely hard to know whether it’s useful to amplify such ugliness, since Trump thrives on attention.

But voters deserve to know what Trump intends to accomplish in a second term. These words are not idle threats or “locker-room talk.” They are campaign promises and should be treated as such.
How do we know? Look at the track record from the last time he was president.

Earlier this year, in a sworn statement, Trump’s former chief of staff John F. Kelly said his boss had discussed having the Internal Revenue Service and other federal agencies harass two of the FBI officials who had investigated ties between his 2016 campaign and Russia.
Separately, Kelly also told the New York Times that Trump wanted to have other perceived enemies audited or investigated as well, including former CIA director John Brennan, Hillary Clinton, and Amazon founder and Post owner Jeff Bezos. Kelly said he did not cooperate. (Trump has since told advisers of plans to sic the Justice Department upon Kelly himself, The Post recently reported.)

Trump also frequently deployed economic and regulatory powers against businesses deemed insufficiently loyal.
For example, his administration launched a bogus antitrust investigation into some of the auto companies when they did not support his rollback of fuel-efficiency standards. He likewise reportedly instructed his top economic aide to interfere with the merger of AT&T and Time Warner, as punishment for critical coverage from CNN, which was then owned by Time Warner.

Trump also openly mused about revoking the licenses of broadcast news outlets for, among other things, reporting that his secretary of state had called him a “moron.” Again, his underlings did not go along with him.

Elsewhere, he tried to use the government procurement process to damage Amazon. According to a memoir by a top aide to then-Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, Trump “called and directed Mattis to ‘screw Amazon’ by locking them out of a chance to bid” on a defense contract. (The contract was awarded to a competitor, challenged in court and ultimately canceled.)
Blaming judges and the “deep state” for thwarting him, Trump now takes comfort in the hundreds of judges he got confirmed. He has also begun amassing a government-in-waiting that will execute his ambitions more effectively next time.

Some of this is, again, unfinished business from his previous administration. In late 2020, Trump issued an executive order designed to strip tens of thousands of career government employees of their civil service protections. He ran out of time to execute his planned purge — and Biden subsequently rescinded the order altogether — but Trump has since openly plotted its revival. Uncooperative civil servants, after all, are some of the “vermin” Trump now speaks of exterminating.

Simultaneously, he and his allies have been vetting lists of lawyers and other loyalists who would replenish these newly vacated government ranks.
Project 2025, a group helmed by Trump aides and organized by a coalition of right-wing institutions, is prescreening the ideologies and loyalties of thousands of possible foot soldiers. The conservative establishment no longer maintains even the pretense of wanting “adults in the room” to restrain Trump and keep him to the narrow, boring business of tax cuts and deregulation. The whole point of this headhunting endeavor is to find personnel who will be less squeamish, perhaps even enthusiastic, about Trump’s authoritarian tendencies. Not guardrails, but wheel greasers.
This is the government voters will choose if they choose Trump next November.

Pure fantasy.

Who are his enemies? He literally fired every single person he hired and they all hate him now. The only person he promised to lock up was Hillary and she’s doing better than ever. He doesn’t have the ability to follow through on ANYTHING. You guys have him as some sort of Lex Luther criminal mastermind. He’s a blubbering idiot who wanted to nuke a hurricane. The military generals already said they’re not doing any of his crazy shit.

At the end of the day, he is alone with his madness. The only ones who will follow him into the abyss are those have no ability to help him. He couldn’t even get his VP or AG to do his bidding and THEY hate him now.

Last edited:
Pure fantasy.

Who are his enemies? He literally fired every single person he hired and they all hate him now. The only person he promised to lock up was Hillary and she’s doing better than ever. He doesn’t have the ability to follow through on ANYTHING. You guys have him as some sort of Lex Luther criminal mastermind. He’s a blubbering idiot who wanted to mule a hurricane. The military generals already said they’re not doing any of his crazy shit.

At the end of the day, he is alone with his madness. The only ones who will follow him into the abyss are those have no ability to help him. He couldn’t even get his VP or AG to do his bidding and THEY hate him now.

I'm sure the same was said about a certain person from 1920s Central Europe

I'm sure the same was said about a certain person from 1920s Central Europe
I’m sure that person had an entire country that was devastated by a war and a treaty that completely leveled it, leaving its entire country searching for a leader. Yeah. We are JUST like Germany after WW1. Good grief.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
Lmao.. .you are part of the fvcking problem
Yeah. Huge part. Can you believe I didn’t even think Mitt Romney was super dangerous like you and ciggy and the rest all did with his dogs in cages and binders full of women? I mean, you guys explained it so well and every day for a year that electing him would be the downfall of humanity. With his 47% and killing the lady’s husband and his 80’s geopolitics. It was just as scary then! Thank you for saving us all from him! And now, you continue God’s work.

Keep on keeping us all scared. It’s important work.

• Haha
Reactions: OhAdam and Kelsers
Earlier this year, in a sworn statement, Trump’s former chief of staff John F. Kelly said his boss had discussed having the Internal Revenue Service and other federal agencies harass two of the FBI officials who had investigated ties between his 2016 campaign and Russia.

That would never happen in the United States of America...

Saturday, December 24, 2022 was one of the most memorable, and most panicked, days of my life. I spent Christmas Eve last year alone, holed up in the Parc 55 hotel in San Francisco, frantically trying to put together what I thought was the most explosive of the Twitter Files reports, “Twitter and Other Government Agencies.” My wife and children were due to arrive for Christmas the next day, and I spent the morning checking and re-checking a story I knew might make people upset.

It was based on documents passed to Twitter by the FBI-led Foreign Influence Task Force. They showed the company was receiving content recommendations in bulk from an array of federal agencies through the FBI, about a range of topics — from domestic extremist groups in the U.S. to leftist activists in Venezuela to Ukraine, Joe Biden, and the energy company Burisma. Moreover, Twitter was joining Facebook, Microsoft, Verizon, Reddit, and perhaps two dozen other firms in attending regular FITF-led gatherings. At that “industry meeting,” companies often received an “OGA briefing,” usually about foreign policy matters. “OGA” is generally understood to be a euphemism for intelligence services in general, or the CIA in particular.

The FBI had just denounced the Twitter Files as the work of “conspiracy theorists” whose “sole purpose” was “discrediting the agency.” If earlier reports made the Bureau unhappy, what reaction would this story inspire?

Thanks to a just-published letter to IRS Commissioner Daniel Werfel by House Judiciary Chair Jim Jordan, we nformation sent to the House Subcommittee on the Weaponization of Government by the Treasury Department confirms that an IRS investigation of me opened that day, December 24, 2022.

Ostensibly the case was about my 2018 tax return, about which even the IRS doesn’t claim to have contacted me for three years before this new “assign date.” The opening of the investigation preceded a visit to my home by an IRS agent on March 9, when I testified in Congress about the Twitter Files and government censorship.

Even more unnerving are other details in Jordan’s letter:

On January 27, 2023, the IRS assigned an agent to Mr. Taibbi’s case to initiate face-to-face contact. The IRS documents reflect that the case agent performed an extensive investigation of Mr. Taibbi, using publicly available search engines and commercial investigative software such as Anywho, Consumer Affairs, LexisNexis Accruint, and Google. The IRS’s dossier about Mr. Taibbi included information such as Mr. Taibbi’s voter registration records, whether he possessed a hunting or fishing license, whether he had a concealed weapons permit, and his telephone numbers.
When the IRS checks to see if you have a carry permit and visits your home, at a time when they owe you money, it’s time to worry.

There have been multiple episodes in recent years suggesting the IRS is under heightened pressure from both Democratic and Republican administrations to conduct political investigations. There is also an increasing number of incidents of federal enforcement agencies targeting media leaks, from a record number of Espionage Act cases opened under Barack Obama to the Julian Assange case opened in the Trump years to the Bellingcat-aided “Pentagon leaker” case this year.

My case probably has to be added to that pile now. At first I thought it might be legitimate, as there was an unresolved issue involving my 2021 return, one I thought I might have let get out of hand across a winter of not checking mail while working a lot on the West Coast. The initial note the IRS left on my door instructed me not to call for four days, a tactic I later heard was sometimes used by field agents to rattle taxpayers, but usually in more serious cases.

It wasn’t until I finally spoke to the agent on my case, and was told that one of two issues was a claim that my 2018 electronic return had been rejected out of concern it “had characteristics indicating a possible identity theft,” that I got nervous. Not only did I not recall ever receiving a notice about 2018, but it seemed very unlikely. I’d been using the same reputable New York accounting firm for a decade, and when I asked them about this, they immediately produced documents showing the IRS electronically accepting that year’s return.

The Committee was good enough to send a letter to the IRS on March 27th asking what was going on, and answers that came back were not reassuring. The giveaway is the unexplained sudden concern with 2018. The IRS does not claim to have contacted me about that year’s return between October 2019 and last Christmas Eve, explaining the gap by saying that “during the pandemic IRS revenue officers were not making field visits.” As for the fact that neither I nor my accountants recall ever receiving letters about that year at all, Mr. Jordan wrote today, “The IRS also failed to produce these purported letters to the Committee.” Moreover:

The IRS’s production, however, lacks any indication of the IRS’s decision-making process to open a case against Mr. Taibbi, or to conduct a field visit at his home.
What possible legitimate explanation could there be for someone at the IRS logging on, on the afternoon of Christmas Eve, on a Saturday, to assign a case over a three-year-old matter, involving a taxpayer owed a substantial return? Was the state in a hurry to square its books with me? What supervisor was overcome with that itch on that particular day, and why?

Readers of this site know that when Michael Shellenberger and I testified to the House Weaponization of Government Subcommittee on March 9th, our presence for some reason inspired a convulsive response from its Democratic members. Racket subscribers also already know the Subcommittee’s ranking member, Stacey Plaskett, sent me a letter last month threatening me with a five-year prison sentence.

All this has already gotten plenty of attention. I hope this new news inspires some thinking about context. This kind of behavior only happens when someone with influence is anxious to deflect attention from the content of leaks and other sensitive reports.

In this case, the angering material is what Michael and I were fortunate enough to be asked to testify about. As Michael put it, the U.S. is funding organizations that engage in mass information control by “creating blacklists of disfavored people and then pressuring, cajoling, and demanding that social media platforms censor, deamplify, and even ban the people on these blacklists.” My testimony aligned with the Christmas Eve story:

We learned Twitter, Facebook, Google, and other companies developed a formal system for taking in moderation ‘requests’ from every corner of government: the FBI, DHS, HHS, DOD, the Global Engagement Center at State, even the CIA.
Ultimately, that’s probably what all this is about. There are people out there who don’t mind the public arguing partisan flare-ups. But no one wants people pondering images like this:

Thanks to Jim Jordan’s committee for help with this, and for the journalists who want to roll eyes, I’d ask: why is he the one defending reporters, while so many news organizations have stopped?

To me it isn't that this is what Trump wants to do, or what Trump will try to do, what matters is who is going to be the willing foot soldiers and the lawyers backing up the foot soldiers. To me it matters who is going to cheer along from the electorate. Who in the House, Senate, and SCOTUS will go along this time.

Please tell me you see the irony in the left saying Trump will go after his political enemies, while at the same time the left has brought 92 charges against Trump!

I’m sure that person had an entire country that was devastated by a war and a treaty that completely leveled it, leaving its entire country searching for a leader. Yeah. We are JUST like Germany after WW1. Good grief.
Actually, that's not far off from how Trump describes America today and all the usual suspects here on HROT parrot him constantly.

Donald Trump has vowed, repeatedly, to weaponize state power against his political enemies if granted a second term.
Voters should take him at his word, for two reasons: First, he tried to do this before, marshaling government might against individuals, demographic groups and specific businesses. He was constrained only by courts and uncooperative aides. Second, he’s assembling the infrastructure necessary to clear these obstacles next time.

Make sense of the news fast with Opinions' daily newsletter

In recent remarks, the former president has pledged to pulverize his opponents if he reenters the Oval Office. During an interview last week on Univision, for instance, he spoke of deploying the FBI and Justice Department against political rivals in retaliation for their alleged persecution of him.

“If I happen to be president, and I see somebody who’s doing well and beating me very badly, I say, ‘Go down and indict them,’” he said. “They’d be out of business. They’d be out of the election.”

A few days later, in a Veterans Day address, he vowed as president to “root out the communists, Marxists, fascist and the radical-left thugs that live like vermin within the confines of our country.” This was no heat-of-the-moment slip; he blasted out the same phrasing on social media, too.

This rhetoric would be horrifying even if one didn’t interpret it literally, given the history of authoritarian leaders who have compared disfavored groups to “vermin.” And it can be genuinely hard to know whether it’s useful to amplify such ugliness, since Trump thrives on attention.

But voters deserve to know what Trump intends to accomplish in a second term. These words are not idle threats or “locker-room talk.” They are campaign promises and should be treated as such.
How do we know? Look at the track record from the last time he was president.

Separately, Kelly also told the New York Times that Trump wanted to have other perceived enemies audited or investigated as well, including former CIA director John Brennan, Hillary Clinton, and Amazon founder and Post owner Jeff Bezos. Kelly said he did not cooperate. (Trump has since told advisers of plans to sic the Justice Department upon Kelly himself, The Post recently reported.)

Trump also frequently deployed economic and regulatory powers against businesses deemed insufficiently loyal.
For example, his administration launched a bogus antitrust investigation into some of the auto companies when they did not support his rollback of fuel-efficiency standards. He likewise reportedly instructed his top economic aide to interfere with the merger of AT&T and Time Warner, as punishment for critical coverage from CNN, which was then owned by Time Warner.

Trump also openly mused about revoking the licenses of broadcast news outlets for, among other things, reporting that his secretary of state had called him a “moron.” Again, his underlings did not go along with him.

Elsewhere, he tried to use the government procurement process to damage Amazon. According to a memoir by a top aide to then-Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, Trump “called and directed Mattis to ‘screw Amazon’ by locking them out of a chance to bid” on a defense contract. (The contract was awarded to a competitor, challenged in court and ultimately canceled.)
Blaming judges and the “deep state” for thwarting him, Trump now takes comfort in the hundreds of judges he got confirmed. He has also begun amassing a government-in-waiting that will execute his ambitions more effectively next time.

Some of this is, again, unfinished business from his previous administration. In late 2020, Trump issued an executive order designed to strip tens of thousands of career government employees of their civil service protections. He ran out of time to execute his planned purge — and Biden subsequently rescinded the order altogether — but Trump has since openly plotted its revival. Uncooperative civil servants, after all, are some of the “vermin” Trump now speaks of exterminating.

Simultaneously, he and his allies have been vetting lists of lawyers and other loyalists who would replenish these newly vacated government ranks.
Project 2025, a group helmed by Trump aides and organized by a coalition of right-wing institutions, is prescreening the ideologies and loyalties of thousands of possible foot soldiers. The conservative establishment no longer maintains even the pretense of wanting “adults in the room” to restrain Trump and keep him to the narrow, boring business of tax cuts and deregulation. The whole point of this headhunting endeavor is to find personnel who will be less squeamish, perhaps even enthusiastic, about Trump’s authoritarian tendencies. Not guardrails, but wheel greasers.
This is the government voters will choose if they choose Trump next November.
LMAO! The gall of libtards even talking about this considering what they've done to this man. You people are idiots.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: abby97 and OhAdam
Pure fantasy.

Who are his enemies? He literally fired every single person he hired and they all hate him now. The only person he promised to lock up was Hillary and she’s doing better than ever. He doesn’t have the ability to follow through on ANYTHING. You guys have him as some sort of Lex Luther criminal mastermind. He’s a blubbering idiot who wanted to nuke a hurricane. The military generals already said they’re not doing any of his crazy shit.

Not sure how you can say he's alone, when he's literally lapping the field for the GOP nomination currently.

You're right that no one with an ounce of sense will follow him...unfortunately, we've learned the past 7 years there are alot of people with no sense.

Not sure how you can say he's alone, when he's literally lapping the field for the GOP nomination currently.

You're right that no one with an ounce of sense will follow him...unfortunately, we've learned the past 7 years there are alot of people with no sense.
Oh. He will have tons of followers. They’re just all stupid shit kickers. Not actually people who can get shit done for him.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
Pure fantasy.

You better effing be right.

Yeah. Huge part. Can you believe I didn’t even think Mitt Romney was super dangerous like you and ciggy and the rest all did with his dogs in cages and binders full of women? I mean, you guys explained it so well and every day for a year that electing him would be the downfall of humanity. With his 47% and killing the lady’s husband and his 80’s geopolitics. It was just as scary then! Thank you for saving us all from him! And now, you continue God’s work.

Keep on keeping us all scared. It’s important work.
False equivalency king back at his stupidity.

Reactions: OhAdam
Please tell me you see the irony in the left saying Trump will go after his political enemies, while at the same time the left has brought 92 charges against Trump!
Good point. Better add all the investigators, lawyers, judges, clerks, bailiffs, and grand jury members who conspired against Trump on the enemies list. They will all need to be locked up.
Looks like we found one of Trump’s foot soldiers.

The left didn’t bring charges against Trump. Ridiculous. Let me guess, you think Dear Leader brought none of this on himself. Trump told you how stupid you were and you constantly prove him right.

False equivalency king back at his stupidity.
As opposed to you idiots continually screaming about “history repeating itself” while actually being the one repeating history every four years with stupid rants about Nazis and the end of democracy.

Although we were just blessed with a bonus one when Mike Johnson became Speaker and we were all doomed to become American Taliban for those three days. Remember how scary it was 16 days ago and how the world was gonna end? Weird how they went away.

But yeah…I’m sure after a civil war, two world wars and the Cold War that we are gonna be the ones to usher in the end of democracy because of an idiot in a red hat. Stay scared.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97 and OhAdam
Pure fantasy.

What a stupid take. BAU

Reactions: BrianNole777
As opposed to you idiots continually screaming about “history repeating itself” while actually being the one repeating history every four years with stupid rants about Nazis and the end of democracy.

Although we were just blessed with a bonus one when Mike Johnson became Speaker and we were all doomed to become American Taliban for those three days. Remember how scary it was 16 days ago and how the world was gonna end? Weird how they went away.

But yeah…I’m sure after a civil war, two world wars and the Cold War that we are gonna be the ones to usher in the end of democracy because of an idiot in a red hat. Stay scared.
You're making shit up as usual. Idiot. Yes, this board was flocked with posters claiming the end of democracy when Romney was running. I have said multiple times it didn't cross my mind until after the 2020 election and then 1/6.

You're making shit up as usual. Idiot. Yes, this board was flocked with posters claiming the end of democracy when Romney was running. I have said multiple times it didn't cross my mind until after the 2020 election and then 1/6.
It's funny. You honestly believe that if Trump is forced out of the race that the next day there won't be some article or tweet posted by ciggy or Chis talking about how with Nikki Haley "we are heading to WW3 and that at least with Trump our children wouldn't have died." That's cute you think that way.

It's funny. You honestly believe that if Trump is forced out of the race that the next day there won't be some article or tweet posted by ciggy or Chis talking about how with Nikki Haley "we are heading to WW3 and that at least with Trump our children wouldn't have died." That's cute you think that way.
You are as dense as a 2×4

Good, I hope he does it this time. The left has certainly earned some punching down on for the last 7 years

No I don’t think people will say things like that. There’s a difference between saying you don’t think candidate X would be bad for the country (everyone says this, in every campaign), and KNOWING that if candidate Y gets a second bite at the apple they will lead the country off a cliff.

Reactions: cigaretteman
"He ran out of time to execute his planned purge" - because he waited until day 1,459 of his 1,460-day reign of terror to try and do this the first time? Come on guys, you have to get tired of this at some point

Reactions: Scruddy
Pure fantasy.

He's not alone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT