ADVERTISEMENT

TC25 in St Louis

Nice defense. pretty much how Cook has played the last two years. Stud athlete who stands around and watches a lot on defense and jogs in transition. Hope new habits are being made in summer workouts. Sometime old habits are hard to change.

Reactions: johnnashhawk
Geez. You guys are rough. It's a pick up game with some of the top local STL players during the summer. Are you expecting them to hedge hard on pick-n-roll and bust it back to the paint to recover? Sophisticated help side defense schemes?

Cook's presence in these types pick up scrimmages is only good for recruiting in STL. He's a name kids down here know, and they know he went to iowa and has had some success.

Last edited:
Geez. You guys are rough. It's a pick up game with some of the top local STL players during the summer. Are you expecting them to hedge hard on pick-n-roll and but back to the pain to recover? Sophisticated help side defense schemes?

Cook's presence in these types pick up scrimmages is only good for recruiting in STL. He's a name kids down here know, and they know he went to iowa and has had some success.

This is why I think Fran should have had the player put on an organized scrimmage somewhere this summer. Missed opportunity to show Hawk fans what they have been working on. And to feed us fans some info...

As for the St Louis thing, that is all about show! Glad TC was there representing the UI. There is a lot of talent in STL. Let's bring in some more!

Tyler is certainly getting himself NBA ready. Just look at the competition he's "training" with! (sarcasm sort of)

This is why I think Fran should have had the player put on an organized scrimmage somewhere this summer. Missed opportunity to show Hawk fans what they have been working on. And to feed us fans some info...

As for the St Louis thing, that is all about show! Glad TC was there representing the UI. There is a lot of talent in STL. Let's bring in some more!
Bohannon said in an earlier interview that they weren't working much extra on defense.

Yeah, let's denigrate the Iowa players at every opportunity so when possible recruits, who might visit this site, can see how real Iowa fans really are.

Why don't we just be honest - the level of "basketball" in that video was on par with an NBA All Star game. Maybe even worse? Shame on me for not knowing as soon as I saw the title of the video that I didn't need to click on it!

So its my thinking that playing defense would increase the chance of injuries. Why would players or coaches want that to happen a pickup game? Makes no sense. I do think Fran needs to think outside the box and develop something for current players, fans and recruits over the summer. Maybe involve former players.
Some sort of event that highlights the players and can have fans in attendance and invite recruits. All within something allowed by the NCAA of course.

Times have obviously changed since I was young. We didn't have the skills to make highlight reel plays, but we played to win in pick up games. The winners usually played defense.

Reactions: perryhawk
Sounds like some message board fans believe in playing the same kind of D that our Hawks showed at times last year.

I too was always driven to win and if it was a pick up game or one on one it made no difference. I understood that D is always a part of it. I get that this was just a show and Tyler being there was cool, but for those that have D 1 potential maybe showing that Iowa is committed to playing at both ends may have sent a better message. If the game isn't worth the effort or the energy, sit it out.

A demonstration of intensity and a seriousness of purpose is always a good look IMO.

Nice defense. pretty much how Cook has played the last two years. Stud athlete who stands around and watches a lot on defense and jogs in transition. Hope new habits are being made in summer workouts. Sometime old habits are hard to change.

You realize this was a scrimmage right? I love all these posts that blame Cook for this and that with respect to last season's debacle. What about our head coach and his veteran staff? They are the ones getting paid to turn Iowa hoops into something other than a door mat. Makes perfect sense to be critical of the best player on the team-- the only guy that gives us a match up advantage athletically.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT