ADVERTISEMENT

TCU WBB Not Enough Players

conn53victor

All-Conference
Oct 15, 2014
TCU went from 10 players playing Saturday to not enough to play the game by Wednesday, so they are hosting tryouts for walk-ons.

The Horned Frogs, who started the season 14–0, had to forfeit upcoming games against No. 7 Kansas State and No. 24 Iowa State due to not having enough eligible players available.

Northern Iowa just added a volleyball player to their roster because of a depleted roster. Emily Holterhaus scored 11 points in her first game.

I couldn’t find a minimum player requirement in the NCAA rule book.

I believe that the Iowa women once had a mid season walk-on, or I made that up.

I guess women's teams don't have gray teams the way men's team does to fill roster spots when someone gets injured?

Women get 15 scholarships. Zero excuse for this to happen.
You'd think, but without information as to how they got down so many players I didn't want to speculate. Injuries could do it but I suppose it could be academics as well, which you can hold the team a bit more accountable for.

May I suggest...

OIP.7rp8dlsoNuZVVxSZeGYXkAHaHa

I guess women's teams don't have gray teams the way men's team does to fill roster spots when someone gets injured?
Iowa hasn't had a gray team in years. Not sure how others work. Anyone remember when Alford had to pull a couple guys off of the football team?

Reactions: BioHawk
Iowa hasn't had a gray team in years. Not sure how others work. Anyone remember when Alford had to pull a couple guys off of the football team?

I always thought the grey squad was the guys that played against the girls. I got asked to play on that but I was student teaching. I really wish I would have done it.

I found the similar situation for the Iowa women’s team. In the 2009-10 season, Coach Bluder added two walk-ons during the season. Megan Considine (sister of Iowa football player Sean Considine) and Danni Huss. Considine played two years before a preseason injury sidelined her for her senior year.

You'd think, but without information as to how they got down so many players I didn't want to speculate. Injuries could do it but I suppose it could be academics as well, which you can hold the team a bit more accountable for.

Supposedly they are trying to keep redshirts on some players.

Gray team was a Tom Davis thing, I still the remember the ad for try outs my freshman year there (which was Dr. Tom's final season). Alford always had some walk ons on the team like Jason Smith and John Carl Williams in the early years that carried over from Davis' teams But he did pick up Chris Warren and Greg Dollmeyer and even Jon Beutjer to help fill out the roster some of those years. I think Kurt Spurgeon walked on too after Alford had recruited him to his previous school. Jack Brownlee had a few good moments too. I remember Kyle Galloway's younger brother was also asked at one point but turned it down to focus on school (he might've actually earned some real time had he decided to play IMO).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT