ADVERTISEMENT

Data on 2023-24 WBB Portal

hawkod

HR All-State
Apr 6, 2007
Since the end of last season the topic of adding a post to Iowa WBB via the portal has come up in various threads multiple times. Coach Bluder has addressed this by saying the staff felt there were only a handful of options that they felt could play at Iowa, and when contacted, said they weren't interested. This seems very possible to me, but there have been multiple posters who continually say there were many more post players in the portal that would represent a significant upgrade to our trio of O'Grady, Goodman, and Ediger. I wanted to see if I could find some hard facts that would support either point of view.

This website far and away has the most extensive data base with respect to the D1 portal:

I tried to find out what really was out there for possibilities. I randomly categorized a 'post' as a player that was 6'3" or taller, since that is what our posters are calling for. I'm not a statistician, but here's what I found out:

1) Of the 1124 players listed as in the portal, 111 of them were 6'3" and taller.

2) The 6 major D1 conferences (ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big 10, Pac 12, SEC) were the best source of better options.
45 of the 257 players in the portal from these schools were 'posts'.
Of those 45, 23 landed at another D1 school. 1 did not sign anywhere.

3) In the remaining 26 D1 conferences there were 867 portal players, but only 65 were 'posts'.
Of those 65, only 10 signed with another D1 school. 26 of them signed nowhere.
Seems to indicate that if you wanted a D1 level post, the main 6 conferences were the place to look.

4) The top 2 players from the 26 smaller conferences were Camilla Emsbo, who went from Yale to Duke, and Isnelle Natabou, who
landed at Iowa State from Sacramento State. Here's their numbers: Emsbo 4.6 ppg/2.9 rpg/15.7 minutes; Natabou 5.2/4.3/12.6.
Definitely not moving the needle at their new schools.

5) Top Power Conference options:
Lauren Betts (6'7") Our dream candidate; landed at UCLA. 15.3/8.4/25.2
Lauren Ware (6'5") Arizona to Texas A&M. 9.7/8.4/27.2
Sedona Prince (6'7") Oregon to TCU. 20.8/10.3/31.8. Has missed most of Jan and Feb with broken finger; back in the lineup.
Hannah Gusters (6'5") LSU to Okie St. 14.8/4.1/24.3. Also has missed significant time due to injury.

6) My methodology is somewhat flawed in that it brought up a 6'3" player with great stats this year, but she's actually a guard.
Therefore I exclude her from the above list. This is Destiny Adams; at Rutgers via North Carolina. 15.2/7.5/29.6.

7) Why only 4 players in #5? They were the only 4 that actually exceeded what we have now. Since our 3 bigs in question never
are on the floor together I compiled their stats to create a composite post player for us. What does this look like?
10.1 ppg/6 rpg/21.6 minutes. That's what our three-headed post is giving us currently. No other D1 post outside of the 4 listed
above have better stats.

There are all sorts of ways to poke holes in what I've listed, but it is based on factual data. I'd like to hear everyone's comments and criticisms; I would like to have reasons listed for any assertions.

My conclusion is that Coach Bluder was correct when she said there were very few options out there that would represent an upgrade to our current roster.

Go Hawks!

Since the end of last season the topic of adding a post to Iowa WBB via the portal has come up in various threads multiple times. Coach Bluder has addressed this by saying the staff felt there were only a handful of options that they felt could play at Iowa, and when contacted, said they weren't interested. This seems very possible to me, but there have been multiple posters who continually say there were many more post players in the portal that would represent a significant upgrade to our trio of O'Grady, Goodman, and Ediger. I wanted to see if I could find some hard facts that would support either point of view.

This website far and away has the most extensive data base with respect to the D1 portal:

I tried to find out what really was out there for possibilities. I randomly categorized a 'post' as a player that was 6'3" or taller, since that is what our posters are calling for. I'm not a statistician, but here's what I found out:

1) Of the 1124 players listed as in the portal, 111 of them were 6'3" and taller.

2) The 6 major D1 conferences (ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big 10, Pac 12, SEC) were the best source of better options.

3) In the remaining 26 D1 conferences there were 867 portal players, but only 65 were 'posts'.
Seems to indicate that if you wanted a D1 level post, the main 6 conferences were the place to look.

4) The top 2 players from the 26 smaller conferences were Camilla Emsbo, who went from Yale to Duke, and Isnelle Natabou, who
landed at Iowa State from Sacramento State. Here's their numbers: Emsbo 4.6 ppg/2.9 rpg/15.7 minutes; Natabou 5.2/4.3/12.6.

Sedona Prince (6'7") Oregon to TCU. 20.8/10.3/31.8. Has missed most of Jan and Feb with broken finger; back in the lineup.
Hannah Gusters (6'5") LSU to Okie St. 14.8/4.1/24.3. Also has missed significant time due to injury.

6) My methodology is somewhat flawed in that it brought up a 6'3" player with great stats this year, but she's actually a guard.
Therefore I exclude her from the above list. This is Destiny Adams; at Rutgers via North Carolina. 15.2/7.5/29.6.

7) Why only 4 players in #5? They were the only 4 that actually exceeded what we have now. Since our 3 bigs in question never
are on the floor together I compiled their stats to create a composite post player for us. What does this look like?
10.1 ppg/6 rpg/21.6 minutes. That's what our three-headed post is giving us currently. No other D1 post outside of the 4 listed
above have better stats.

There are all sorts of ways to poke holes in what I've listed, but it is based on factual data. I'd like to hear everyone's comments and criticisms; I would like to have reasons listed for any assertions.

My conclusion is that Coach Bluder was correct when she said there were very few options out there that would represent an upgrade to our current roster.

Go Hawks!

Here’s the thing, it would have been nice to have another 6-3 plus athlete in any regard but these guys eschew logical thinking and just assume the coaches didn’t do enough and then someone comes by with the old…tried and true, well nobody is infallible ruse, right @Bulldogs1974 which is a thinly veiled attempt at giving their “opinions“ some kind of weight!!

There are multiple reasons none of the “right” guys on this board could even know as to what goes into anyone’s rotation. Furthermore, it’s not like, just the smart Iowa fans know who should play, but in actuality every teams coach is routinely playing the wrong people….DOH!!

Just let that sink in for a moment, every coach, hall of fame or not, is regularly playing the wrong players, the wrong minutes and only the “smart” message board fans can seep it…,

Right @Bulldogs1974 ?

😳

Here’s the thing, it would have been nice to have another 6-3 plus athlete in any regard but these guys eschew logical thinking and just assume the coaches didn’t do enough and then someone comes by with the old…tried and true, well nobody is infallible ruse, right @Bulldogs1974 which is a thinly veiled attempt at giving their “opinions“ some kind of weight!!

There are multiple reasons none of the “right” guys on this board could even know as to what goes into anyone’s rotation. Furthermore, it’s not like, just the smart Iowa fans know who should play, but in actuality every teams coach is routinely playing the wrong people….DOH!!

Just let that sink in for a moment, every coach, hall of fame or not, is regularly playing the wrong players, the wrong minutes and only the “smart” message board fans can seep it…,

Right @Bulldogs1974 ?

😳
You aren't that bright and obviously have confidence issues.
You just go on being that keyboard savior. I'm sure lisa and fran will find you and reward your unquestioned faith in 100% of ever decision they make. :rolleyes:

Side note: work on your reading comprehension.

above have better stats.

Go Hawks!
Actually a solid effort to get some reasonable data, but like you said......it's far from perfect. Here are the biggest gaps that I see:

Out of all the posts entering the portal, comparing their stats to our composite seems logical.....but isn't really that great. For one, you can't just measure defense by rebounds/blocks.....can they handle most posts down low without constant doubles? Can they score on a regular basis when not doubled or kick out well when they are?

Another issue is that most player stats would likely be better in our system. Playing at fast pace with an elite scorer/passer who makes D's pay for doubles/weak switches makes a big difference. I've watched multiple games this season where even the back-up posts are better than ours.....& would likely have a big stat jump with more PT, plus CC drawing crazy attention.

Finally, you're only listing info on those that actually entered the portal......& that's not the complete scope of who would be available to a returning championship team with elite player, a top 10 NIL/ad pool, & the biggest crowds in Wbb. I have mostly guy's club/aau coaching contacts, but I know it's common for the girls as well to use former club teammates/coaches as go-betweens to gauge interest before actually entering the portal.

Actually a solid effort to get some reasonable data, but like you said......it's far from perfect. Here are the biggest gaps that I see:

Out of all the posts entering the portal, comparing their stats to our composite seems logical.....but isn't really that great. For one, you can't just measure defense by rebounds/blocks.....can they handle most posts down low without constant doubles? Can they score on a regular basis when not doubled or kick out well when they are?

Another issue is that most player stats would likely be better in our system. Playing at fast pace with an elite scorer/passer who makes D's pay for doubles/weak switches makes a big difference. I've watched multiple games this season where even the back-up posts are better than ours.....& would likely have a big stat jump with more PT, plus CC drawing crazy attention.

Finally, you're only listing info on those that actually entered the portal......& that's not the complete scope of who would be available to a returning championship team with elite player, a top 10 NIL/ad pool, & the biggest crowds in Wbb. I have mostly guy's club/aau coaching contacts, but I know it's common for the girls as well to use former club teammates/coaches as go-betweens to gauge interest before actually entering the portal.
Completely agree with each of your points, and there are more flaws to pick at. I tried to go off objective data vs things that are more difficult to measure like defensive prowess. If we could get a long big that clogged up the lane, could block shots yet averaged 7 ppg and 6 rpg I'd be happy. Plus, I'd already put in 4 hours of my life I won't get back. Thanks for your input.

It's looking like the biggest miss wasn't in the portal at all, but losing out to ISU for Audi Crooks.
Iowa needed an outlier, either really tall or pretty tall and girthy. Her weight/strength allows her to play much taller people.
I saw audi a few times in hs and wondered how she would fare in college, she's done very well.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Iowa needed an outlier, either really tall or pretty tall and girthy. Her weight/strength allows her to play much taller people.
I saw audi a few times in hs and wondered how she would fare in college, she's done very well.
I thought both Iowa and Crooks had concerns with her ability to run the floor because of the speed Iowa plays with. I remember hearing a rumor that Iowa had said they wantd to match her with someone to help with her diet, and she picked Iowa State.

Reactions: warriors dad
LOL. I was hoping they'd make more progress due to her coaching.
And there it is in a nutshell. I really believe that with the job coach Jan did with Megan and Monica, I think that Lisa was convinced that she would work her magic with AOG, Goodman, and AJ, ALL I believe were higher rated players the Monica. Unfortunately the magic just hasn't happened, at least not yet. I still think they need to roll with AOG as the regular post and try to build her up.

I thought both Iowa and Crooks had concerns with her ability to run the floor because of the speed Iowa plays with. I remember hearing a rumor that Iowa had said they wantd to match her with someone to help with her diet, and she picked Iowa State.
Yeah, we'd definitely have to become a half court team on offense to take advantage of her talents. She doesn't do much of anything on defense but sit in the middle. Great attitude and personality.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Totally exceeded all expectations most had for her.

Per usual his point is much simpler than that….and that is….the fans have zero clue what goes into it and what they did and how hard they tried. And it’s always the ones who think they know what they are talking about who butch the most 🤷‍♂️

Coach Bluder has addressed this by saying the staff felt there were only a handful of options that they felt could play at Iowa
Why? How hard did she sell the opportunity?

As I’ve said before, no other coach could present a an opportunity better than Iowa. Four seasoned vets returning from a high scoring team who played in the national championship game which features arguably the best passer in WBB history.

Just five minutes in the film room showing a few dozen clips of the hundreds of Clark to Czinano assists for easy baskets should have generated at least minimal interest.

I don’t buy the “handful of players” argument from a coach who was willing to start Sharon Goodman at the beginning of this season.

For example, Minnesota of all teams - a team that had fired their HC - landed 6ft5 C Shophie Hart from North Carolina State. Sophie Hart is averaging 10.5 points and 5.0 rebounds at approx 24 minutes per game. In her 24 minutes against Iowa this year she scored 13 points and recorded 6 rebounds. Did Bluder recruit her?

• Love
Reactions: shudaddy
Why? How hard did she sell the opportunity?

As I’ve said before, no other coach could present a an opportunity better than Iowa. Four seasoned vets returning from a high scoring team who played in the national championship game which features arguably the best passer in WBB history.

Just five minutes in the film room showing a few dozen clips of the hundreds of Clark to Czinano assists for easy baskets should have generated at least minimal interest.

I don’t buy the “handful of players” argument from a coach who was willing to start Sharon Goodman at the beginning of this season.

For example, Minnesota of all teams - a team that had fired their HC - landed 6ft5 C Shophie Hart from North Carolina State. Sophie Hart is averaging 10.5 points and 5.0 rebounds at approx 24 minutes per game. In her 24 minutes against Iowa this year she scored 13 points and recorded 6 rebounds. Did Bluder recruit her?

And how would know that ? And yet we should be upset about it?

Crazy in my mind, but if it helps people cope I guess…🤷‍♂️

And how would know that ? And yet we should be upset about it?

Crazy in my mind, but if it helps people cope I guess…🤷‍♂️
We don’t know but the OP’s explanation that “the staff felt that there were only a handful of options who could play at Iowa and when contacted, said they weren’t interested” is insufficient. That’s it? Thanks for the extra effort to address a clear need.

We don’t know but the OP’s explanation that “the staff felt that there were only a handful of options who could play at Iowa and when contacted, said they weren’t interested” is insufficient. That’s it? Thanks for the extra effort to address a clear need.

See I’m ok, I like their team, they are one of the 8 best teams in the nation. And chemistry is more important than just getting a post, to get a post.

And I’m not one to be immediately mad, and without ANY info assume, someone screwed up. You are one of those people, so…..🤷‍♂️

I mean “thanks for the effort”….I mean heck Lisa, I know this should be a bigger deal to you than me, but I KNOW what was best and you blew it for me…

So just for clarity if we had added 1 or 2 all stars or even just a decent player we’d have automatically been better right…?

I've asked the same questions, and could come up with many speculative answers. Would love to know all the specific details if anyone has the true lowdown.

Reactions: nu2u
See I’m ok, I like their team, they are one of the 8 best teams in the nation. And chemistry is more important than just getting a post, to get a post.

And I’m not one to be immediately mad, and without ANY info assume, someone screwed up. You are one of those people, so…..🤷‍♂️

I mean “thanks for the effort”….I mean heck Lisa, I know this should be a bigger deal to you than me, but I KNOW what was best and you blew it for me…

So just for clarity if we had added 1 or 2 all stars or even just a decent player we’d have automatically been better right…?
Your reply is typical gibberish.

Reactions: shudaddy

LOL…there are certain things you guys say in response that I can’t help but smile and laugh out loud on… the above is one of them….

I mean seriously what the hell else can you say….doh!

Last edited:

I mean hell you couldn’t even answer the basic question…would adding 1 or 2 more players automatically make us better?

If the answer isn’t a resounding yes, there is literally no way or reason to be critical…

So if you’re not going to answer even that basic question, then your response is the only way to go 🤷‍♂️

. . . For example, Minnesota of all teams - a team that had fired their HC - landed 6ft5 C Shophie Hart from North Carolina State. Sophie Hart is averaging 10.5 points and 5.0 rebounds at approx 24 minutes per game. In her 24 minutes against Iowa this year she scored 13 points and recorded 6 rebounds. Did Bluder recruit her?
Sophie Hart would have been a terrible fit for Iowa. She is unbelievably slow, and makes O’Grady and Goodman look like gazelles. Minnesota is the slowest paced team in the league, the opposite of how Iowa wants to play, largely because of Hart and Heyer. When Hart was at NC State, she couldn’t get off the bench because she struggled to keep up. Passing on Hart was the right call.

Reactions: LinusPF and hawkod
It's looking like the biggest miss wasn't in the portal at all, but losing out to ISU for Audi Crooks.

Her father died, she wanted to stay close to home. She also passed on joining AIA in favor of the inferior Cy-Select. She just wasn’t on a trajectory for Iowa.

As I’ve said before, no other coach could present a an opportunity better than Iowa. Four seasoned vets returning from a high scoring team who played in the national championship game which features arguably the best passer in WBB history….
People are really underestimating how unpopular a destination Iowa is to most recruits IMO. Theres a reason Morrow didn’t even return the phone call. Zero interest. She is not alone…not even mentioning the lack of titles / bland nature of Iowa as a destination…the insane coverage of Iowa (which many believed to be unwarranted) combined with the racist look really, really overshadowed the success to some. Most kids wanna beat Iowa, not join them, IMO.

Fortunately, it’s also my opinion that things might finally be changing when it comes to younger kids who have seen Iowa be a solid team for going on 6 years now — but I believe that’s the state of play for most current elite athletes. Theres just a lot of animosity toward Clark and Iowa.

Btw Sophie Hart left NC state after the fall semester and chose Minnesota in January, well before the portal season began. She is from Minnesota and clearly wanted to come home, as evidenced by the fact that she didn’t reopen her recruitment after Whalen got fired. Bluder REALLY wanted her when she was in HS so she may have reached out…but Shateah hadn’t transferred yet so there wasn’t a roster spot to offer.

Her father died, she wanted to stay close to home. She also passed on joining AIA in favor of the inferior Cy-Select. She just wasn’t on a trajectory for Iowa.

People are really underestimating how unpopular a destination Iowa is to most recruits IMO. Theres a reason Morrow didn’t even return the phone call. Zero interest. She is not alone…not even mentioning the lack of titles / bland nature of Iowa as a destination…the insane coverage of Iowa (which many believed to be unwarranted) combined with the racist look really, really overshadowed the success to some. Most kids wanna beat Iowa, not join them, IMO.

Fortunately, it’s also my opinion that things might finally be changing when it comes to younger kids who have seen Iowa be a solid team for going on 6 years now — but I believe that’s the state of play for most current elite athletes. Theres just a lot of animosity toward Clark and Iowa.

Btw Sophie Hart left NC state after the fall semester and chose Minnesota in January, well before the portal season began. She is from Minnesota and clearly wanted to come home, as evidenced by the fact that she didn’t reopen her recruitment after Whalen got fired. Bluder REALLY wanted her when she was in HS so she may have reached out…but Shateah hadn’t transferred yet so there wasn’t a roster spot to offer.
Thanks for once again adding some context. These discussions go on and on, and generally most have no idea at all what the coaches did or did not do, or any understanding that there ARE other issues in play.

. .

Bluder REALLY wanted her when she was in HS so she may have reached out…but Shateah hadn’t transferred yet so there wasn’t a roster spot to offer.
If my memory is right, Iowa accepted O’Grady’s commitment in the spring, and stopped recruiting Hart, who committed later in the summer to NC State.

Sophie Hart would have been a terrible fit for Iowa. She is unbelievably slow, and makes O’Grady and Goodman look like gazelles.
Ridiculous. Hart was a 5 star Top50/Top 5 rated and ranked Center. I’ve seen her play a few times, she runs the floor just fine. Iowa heavily recruited her out of high school. Slower than Goodman… please.

Iowa wasn't happening, but it is funny that she chose ISU for their world-reknown post play...................

That's one reason ISU fans are oooh-ing and awe-ing at her scoring inside.

Ridiculous. Hart was a 5 star Top50/Top 5 rated and ranked Center. I’ve seen her play a few times, she runs the floor just fine. Iowa heavily recruited her out of high school. Slower than Goodman… please.
I'm also a Gopher ticket holder. If you think she runs the floor just fine, you need to watch more Gopher games.

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u and LinusPF
I'm also a Gopher ticket holder. If you think she runs the floor just fine, you need to watch more Gopher games.
haha you said Hart made Sharon Goodman and O’Grady look like a gazelles. You clearly have some kind of bias against Hart. Sorry about your Gopher’s season.

haha you said Hart made Sharon Goodman and O’Grady look like a gazelles. You clearly have some kind of bias against Hart. Sorry about your Gopher’s season.
No bias against Hart. Just good eye sight and lots of games watched. There's a reason she played less than 6 minutes a game as a sophomore for NC State.

Also, said I was a Gopher ticket holder (I like Iowa & Big Ten sports), which is different than a Gopher fan. Been an Iowa fan since my first Iowa fb game against NC State in 1965. Sold Coca-Cola in Kinnick growing up; bat boyed a few times for the Hawk baseball team when they played by the Field House; had Fred Brown as a student teacher in my elementary school; my moniker is for Archie Mays, a nice guy Hawk MBB player who spanned the Schultz and Olson eras; caddied in the Big Ten golf tournament at Finkbine; played pickup ball with WBB players Beckwith, Haugejorde and a few others in the AIAW days. Been an Iowa WBB fan ever since, and many other things, but never, ever a Gopher fan.

Last edited:
No bias against Hart. Just good eye sight and lots of games watched. There's a reason she played less than 6 minutes a game as a sophomore for NC State.

Also, said I was a Gopher ticket holder (I like Iowa & Big Ten sports), which is different than a Gopher fan. Been an Iowa fan since my first Iowa fb game against NC State in 1965. Sold Coca-Cola in Kinnick growing up; bat boyed a few times for the Hawk baseball team when they played by the Field House; had Fred Brown as a student teacher in my elementary school; my moniker is for Archie Mays, a nice guy Hawk MBB player who spanned the Schultz and Olson eras; caddied in the Big Ten golf tournament at Finkbine; played pickup ball with WBB players Beckwith, Haugejorde and a few others in the AIAW days. Been an Iowa WBB fan ever since, and many other things, but never, ever a Gopher fan.
So why a season tix holder if not a Gopher fan? I couldnt stomach to watch any of there teams on TV let alone LIVE!

....ust the smart Iowa fans know who should play, but in actuality every teams coach is routinely playing the wrong people….DOH!!

Not every coach, just statistically 1/2 of them. Half of the coaches in any league should have more wins than losses and half should have less wins. I'd prefer a coach in the top half.

Reactions: cmhawks99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT