ADVERTISEMENT

Teasdale

Fluff - I always kid about that but seriously how is the 133 walking around this summer at 170? Back in the day I kind of get but with the cutting rules that is crazy. And sounds like he just wrestled 141. To no surprise zero points. That is bad monitoring period. If ADS who may UP in weight or Gavin was 170 I would not be thrilled. Something doesn’t make sense. But whatever like I said I worry about them like Rutgers football. The week of.

Austin won’t be redshirting and there was never much doubt that Gavin would be eligible right away. It will be worked out throughout the season as it always has been with Tom. Midlands will play a huge factor, but I expect to see many different lineups this year throughout all the weights and season and it will all be clear by the end of February. I expect a tournament line up that includes Gavin and Austin, but if it isn’t, it will be a wonderful sign for a guy like Murin. Everyone is expecting to be a starter and approaching practice that way... For those that are upset that there isn’t a “plan”, I’d recommend relaxing on that point. I mean picture a version Austin DeSanto that is on full feed without having to worry a bit about a any sort of weight cut. Austin is as strong or stronger right now than most any other ‘41 in the country. This isn’t anything prophetic or secret, it’s just facts. The consternation over it is strange to me. Is Tom supposed to tell Murin sorry in July because Austin is the new ‘41lber when they’re going nose to nose and bleeding and sweating during workouts with each other??

The best part about this “problem” is how close all these guys and their families are that grudges or bad blood won’t be an issue. Whoever is the odd man out will have just as much to do with this teams success as the guys who are scoring the team points. Let’s just let it play out. What’s best for the team will be on the mat when it counts... Simple as that.
But it's not as simple as that. If DeSanto ends up burning a redshirt needlessly, that's 20 lost NCAA points in 2022. That's the problem with "just letting it play out." What's the PLAN?

But it's not as simple as that. If DeSanto ends up burning a redshirt needlessly, that's 20 lost NCAA points in 2022. That's the problem with "just letting it play out." What's the PLAN?
I think Gobblin is a good poster, but this thread is not going to make his greatest hits list. I would hope the coaches have a different approach. Desanto is far too good to have a wasted year.

I think Gobblin is a good poster, but this thread is not going to make his greatest hits list. I would hope the coaches have a different approach. Desanto is far too good to have a wasted year.
Keep in mind that sometimes it's not up to the coaches. I know nothing of the situation, but it takes two to tango.

Keep in mind that sometimes it's not up to the coaches. I know nothing of the situation, but it takes two to tango.
Are you telling me that Austin Desanto would enter a tournament attached just to burn his redshirt? With a redshirt to work with, this is completely in the coaches control. There should be no scenario where Desanto loses a year of competition, outside of midseason injury.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Parker beat Gomez 4-0

Truth. But they might send him out there at 141 because he's a big move guy and they are going to need the points. This year isn't last year with Iowa's illnesses and injuries which lead to a close dual. They are giving up 10-12 points at just 125 and 133, will be heavy underdogs at 165 and HWT, and also dogs at 197. The rest of the matches are more arguable and even then it isn't likely they take them all. Gotta go big at 141 to have a shot, and good luck with that.

Reactions: Ihawkd9times
Are you telling me that Austin Desanto would enter a tournament attached just to burn his redshirt? With a redshirt to work with, this is completely in the coaches control. There should be no scenario where Desanto loses a year of competition, outside of midseason injury.
I'm not telling you anything, other than if an athlete doesn't want to redshirt they don't have to.

Reactions: wasdt21
I'm not telling you anything, other than if an athlete doesn't want to redshirt they don't have to.
I don't think a wrestler is allowed to enter attached without the approval of the team. Now, I guess he could forego his last year of eligibility on the back end, but that would be hard to believe.

Reactions: crablegs1
I don't think a wrestler is allowed to enter attached without the approval of the team. Now, I guess he could forego his last year of eligibility on the back end, but that would be hard to believe.
Moot point.

How exactly did I say it would be wasted?! Austin WILL be a starter THIS season at Iowa. Period. I fully expect Teasdale to be also. If you can’t do the rest of that math I can’t help ya. Good grief.

For those unfortunate to have not viewed practices I will post again some of the notes and thoughts.
Gavin is the real deal..I said it last year about AD and I'm saying it this year with GT. The only one I think Gavin has trouble with is Spencer. I believe he has the Kemdog/Nolf syndrome giving to much respect because of their history as stable mates. But anyone else he attacks and is quick finishing . By the time March comes( after 5 months of Iowas room) hes going to be competing for a title. And I believe it will be 133.
AD is bigger and quite honestly better than Max. He will have 4 months of full feed to get stronger and I expect it will happen. Max can win a wrestle off but he needs to win it out against opponents he doesnt work out with.
That leaves a few guys that need to step up because 149 is going to be a battle royal. Turk looks good and Jared also. Lugo will have to really battle.
157-174 has 3 guys who all should be top 4 . Maybe all 3 In finals if healthy.
Kem doesnt face Noth ... and Hall isn't anywhere near as talented as Nolf was so I expect Kem to take the battle to him...no shooting from 5 feet away.
That leaves Cash and by no means is it set...be cause his lack of attack is probably going to get him sacked (senior or not) would not surprise me if Brands isn't close to or competing for that spot.
Warner as Tom said needs to step it up.
Cass....big man will be ready and I expect alot of action...he is a winner and looking forward to his debut.

<<But it's not as simple as that. If DeSanto ends up burning a redshirt needlessly, that's 20 lost NCAA points in 2022. That's the problem with "just letting it play out." What's the PLAN?>>

There is definitely a plan-- it's just not always apparent to us-- I must say that all plans dont work-- but this staff continually talks about scenerios, what ifs, etc. I have been around and heard a small portion of it--

Heres hoping the plans they have in place this year work to perfection!

<<But it's not as simple as that. If DeSanto ends up burning a redshirt needlessly, that's 20 lost NCAA points in 2022. That's the problem with "just letting it play out." What's the PLAN?>>

There is definitely a plan-- it's just not always apparent to us-- I must say that all plans dont work-- but this staff continually talks about scenerios, what ifs, etc. I have been around and heard a small portion of it--

Heres hoping the plans they have in place this year work to perfection!

Thank you Randy!

I used to stick up for Crabby. Lost a ton of respect for he and Buff last year when that PsychoTwins moron on CF was saying he had “inside sources” that SL was 100 percent all year but hated the coaches and looking to transfer. I told Crab and Buff as wrestling fans and wrestling is a small fraternity to tell him on CF he is full of crap and never wrestled and never seen a mat. Never happened from Crab and Buff. Sad really as I would guess Psycho will have more rumors on our team and that KF is still a racist for football. At some point people should call a spade a spade. Including Crab and Buff. A person who has never wrestled ripping a kid and coaching staff without knowing crap about anything except Iowa hatred should shut up.

I used to stick up for Crabby. Lost a ton of respect for he and Buff last year when that PsychoTwins moron on CF was saying he had “inside sources” that SL was 100 percent all year but hated the coaches and looking to transfer. I told Crab and Buff as wrestling fans and wrestling is a small fraternity to tell him on CF he is full of crap and never wrestled and never seen a mat. Never happened from Crab and Buff. Sad really as I would guess Psycho will have more rumors on our team and that KF is still a racist for football. At some point people should call a spade a spade. Including Crab and Buff. A person who has never wrestled ripping a kid and coaching staff without knowing crap about anything except Iowa hatred should shut up.

I’m no lawyer, but it might be best to stay out of some of those online imbroglios, eh?

Moot point.
No it isn't if the argument is that it "takes two to tango." To burn a redshirt, you have to compete attached. If you can't compete attached without a coaches approval, you can't burn your own redshirt without coach approval.

I literally have no idea what you’re talking about.

I do not know why so many people think Gavin can't beat or isn't beating Desanto. It does not seem so far fetched to me. I know a lot of you guys love Desanto for his gas tank and fire, but ....

My problem is that Desanto has two college years experience, AA’d in a tough bracket, and beat the Natl Champ. Unless Gavin is just eating him up in the room I don’t know how you could give him the nod.

For those unfortunate to have not viewed practices I will post again some of the notes and thoughts.
Gavin is the real deal..I said it last year about AD and I'm saying it this year with GT. The only one I think Gavin has trouble with is Spencer. I believe he has the Kemdog/Nolf syndrome giving to much respect because of their history as stable mates. But anyone else he attacks and is quick finishing . By the time March comes( after 5 months of Iowas room) hes going to be competing for a title. And I believe it will be 133.
AD is bigger and quite honestly better than Max. He will have 4 months of full feed to get stronger and I expect it will happen. Max can win a wrestle off but he needs to win it out against opponents he doesnt work out with.
That leaves a few guys that need to step up because 149 is going to be a battle royal. Turk looks good and Jared also. Lugo will have to really battle.
Kem doesnt face Noth ... and Hall isn't anywhere near as talented as Nolf was so I expect Kem to take the battle to him...no shooting from 5 feet away.
That leaves Cash and by no means is it set...be cause his lack of attack is probably going to get him sacked (senior or not) would not surprise me if Brands isn't close to or competing for that spot.
Cass....big man will be ready and I expect alot of action...he is a winner and looking forward to his debut.
I agree with all of this accept Hall not being as good as Nolf. Hall is better and he has the wins over Nolf and Cenzo to prove it.

Crabby - look back. I told you Psycho Twins was lying on SL last year. And I flat told you it was dumb. I think I posted he knows zero about wrestling but he only wanted to rip Iowa. If you don’t recall fine. Go back to CF. You are getting crushed here by everyone. Like I said, stuck up for you but now siding with Gobblin and everyone else. Dumb.

Reactions: el dub
No, freestyle.

I think it’s pretty well-known that Hall is a much better freestyler than either of those two and it’s probably his best style. I would be more convinced if they have ever met in a folkstyle match. With that being said, I think it’s very close between Hall and Nolf but Nolf was more dominant. Either way Kem will have his hands full and it would be an upset for him to beat Hall.

Reactions: edquinn06
I am really excited about this, but I don’t know what if anything to read into it. If he wrestles 11/17 that means Desanto doesn’t. Does this mean that Teasdale has the upper hand right now, or does Tom just want to put him out there since we obviously won’t need our best to win this one. If he is obviously better than Desanto then I think Gross should be a little worried!

Not buying Teasdale is getting the better of ADS. I don’t recall ADS talking about getting “Teasdaled” with bruises all over his arms. Hoping GT has put on good size and is pushing Murin.

I think it’s pretty well-known that Hall is a much better freestyler than either of those two and it’s probably his best style. I would be more convinced if they have ever met in a folkstyle match. With that being said, I think it’s very close between Hall and Nolf but Nolf was more dominant. Either way Kem will have his hands full and it would be an upset for him to beat Hall.

Great to be having these conversations instead of: 133 is a hole and we'll get no points come March

Of course there is a plan, but it'll be settled on the mat.

My problem is that Desanto has two college years experience, AA’d in a tough bracket, and beat the Natl Champ. Unless Gavin is just eating him up in the room I don’t know how you could give him the nod.

Not buying Teasdale is getting the better of ADS. I don’t recall ADS talking about getting “Teasdaled” with bruises all over his arms. Hoping GT has put on good size and is pushing Murin.

The question is what lineup mix produces the most NCAA points not whether one guy is better than another. Would be a big play to move Desanto up to insert Teasdale but you could convince me it’s best for the team.

No it isn't if the argument is that it "takes two to tango." To burn a redshirt, you have to compete attached. If you can't compete attached without a coaches approval, you can't burn your own redshirt without coach approval.

This is not true from a practical standpoint. In that scenario, when your 5th year rolls around you don’t go out for the sport or you get a job like everyone else.

Truth. But they might send him out there at 141 because he's a big move guy and they are going to need the points. This year isn't last year with Iowa's illnesses and injuries which lead to a close dual. They are giving up 10-12 points at just 125 and 133, will be heavy underdogs at 165 and HWT, and also dogs at 197. The rest of the matches are more arguable and even then it isn't likely they take them all. Gotta go big at 141 to have a shot, and good luck with that.
My opinion may have to send Parker 141 to keep from being shutout

Love this post. Anyone have insight on whether Nelson has been wrestling with Wilcke in the room? Hard to imagine he's big enough to compete at 184, but I haven't seen him since last season.

Do you honestly think a coach wouldn’t let a kid compete?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT