ADVERTISEMENT

Tell me about Glacier National Park

Love glacier, perhaps my favorite park. I like to bike but I don’t believe going to the sun road is a place for bicycles. Very congested. We did a hike called Siyeh pass which was a great hike. Family with young kids (8 and up) made it to the pass. Crossed a stream and saw a couple glaciers from a distance. Going to the sun road is a must, both for scenery and it’s the only road that goes through the entire park. Just drive it super early, you won’t be sorry. Years ago we camped at the many glacier campground and went through the lodge which was very cool.

we really liked the town of whitefish and 20 years ago talked of retiring there. I wish we would have bought property. That place has blown up.

I am jealous op, glacier is amazing.

Reactions: HotelAlphaWilcoKilo
Love glacier, perhaps my favorite park. I like to bike but I don’t believe going to the sun road is a place for bicycles. Very congested. We did a hike called Siyeh pass which was a great hike. Family with young kids (8 and up) made it to the pass. Crossed a stream and saw a couple glaciers from a distance. Going to the sun road is a must, both for scenery and it’s the only road that goes through the entire park. Just drive it super early, you won’t be sorry. Years ago we camped at the many glacier campground and went through the lodge which was very cool.

we really liked the town of whitefish and 20 years ago talked of retiring there. I wish we would have bought property. That place has blown up.

I am jealous op, glacier is amazing.
Ride GTTS road if closed, not open to vehicle traffic.

I hear you on real estate. We looked at Flathead Lake years ago. No way you get on the lake now for less than a couple million.

Reactions: eightno2002
Ride GTTS road if closed, not open to vehicle traffic.

I hear you on real estate. We looked at Flathead Lake years ago. No way you get on the lake now for less than a couple million.

i didn’t know they closed it. The parks are changing. When I first visited Zion you parked at the trailhead. Now no cars.

in the Smokey’s last year bikers continually caused bad traffic backup. They should have done what I did, get dropped off at klingmans dome and just scream downhill for 30 minutes.

So, here’s my on the spot report on Glacier @JRHawk2003 from the last few days. FTR I’m staying at a VRBO in East Glacier which in our opinion is the best location because the east side of the park offers so much better hiking - which is what we’re mostly interested in. Yeah, the town is dead by 8:00pm, but we get up at the crack-o-dawn so bed time comes early anyway! So, here’s what I’ve done:

Cycling: I’ve ridden pretty much every day I’ve been here. Did GTSR from both sides as far as I could (they’re still clearing snow) but it was great because both had sections with no cars allowed. That will obviously end soon, but it was fantastic. From East Glacier, I’ve ridden up the looking glass route to Kiowa (sketchy) and then up to St. Mary’s but did it early and it wasn’t a problem. Consider it if you’re looking for a good road ride, it was beautiful. Riding in the park has been great. You don’t need the daily pass when entering from West Glacier or St. Mary’s (which is hard to get via recreation.gov) but will need your annual pass or buy a 7-day when you arrive, even on bike. If you go early (6-8:00am), there wasn’t much traffic. After 8:30ish, it got busy for all entrances except for the GTSR entrance from St Mary’s or West Glacier. While I hate the daily pass as a driver, for a bike it kept the traffic down big time and the riding was great. This requirement will persist through the summers so I’d expect light traffic throughout. Just a note, the 11-4pm ban on cyclist on the GTSR from West Glacier along Lake McDonald is still in effect so plan accordingly. Basically, my advice would be set the alarm and ride early.

Hiking, Boating, Non-Cycling in the Park: Overall, I’d say traffic is about the same as it usually is when you get up and at it early. I’m a firm believer in alarms should have a “5” in front of it when visiting parks even before the covid rush. That holds true, and for the most part it feels the same as pre-covid. Where it’s different is folks arriving 10:00am and later. It’s always been a pure gamble at that point if you’re going to be able to find parking for where you want to go - but it’s even worse now. Way more traffic than what I’m used to (luckily we’ve only seen them as we leave!). I will say though, while the daily pass is a pain for the GTSR entrances (West Glacier / St Mary’s), it does keep the traffic down. So if you’re fine hiking or doing whatever later in the day and have the pass…there’s no reason to wake up at 5am.

Let me know if you have any questions. Everything is still ridiculously expensive (they still love their huckleberries), but this park is still one of THE top parks in the USA. Enjoy!

Reactions: JRHawk2003
So, here’s my on the spot report on Glacier @JRHawk2003 from the last few days. FTR I’m staying at a VRBO in East Glacier which in our opinion is the best location because the east side of the park offers so much better hiking - which is what we’re mostly interested in. Yeah, the town is dead by 8:00pm, but we get up at the crack-o-dawn so bed time comes early anyway! So, here’s what I’ve done:

Cycling: I’ve ridden pretty much every day I’ve been here. Did GTSR from both sides as far as I could (they’re still clearing snow) but it was great because both had sections with no cars allowed. That will obviously end soon, but it was fantastic. From East Glacier, I’ve ridden up the looking glass route to Kiowa (sketchy) and then up to St. Mary’s but did it early and it wasn’t a problem. Consider it if you’re looking for a good road ride, it was beautiful. Riding in the park has been great. You don’t need the daily pass when entering from West Glacier or St. Mary’s (which is hard to get via recreation.gov) but will need your annual pass or buy a 7-day when you arrive, even on bike. If you go early (6-8:00am), there wasn’t much traffic. After 8:30ish, it got busy for all entrances except for the GTSR entrance from St Mary’s or West Glacier. While I hate the daily pass as a driver, for a bike it kept the traffic down big time and the riding was great. This requirement will persist through the summers so I’d expect light traffic throughout. Just a note, the 11-4pm ban on cyclist on the GTSR from West Glacier along Lake McDonald is still in effect so plan accordingly. Basically, my advice would be set the alarm and ride early.

Hiking, Boating, Non-Cycling in the Park: Overall, I’d say traffic is about the same as it usually is when you get up and at it early. I’m a firm believer in alarms should have a “5” in front of it when visiting parks even before the covid rush. That holds true, and for the most part it feels the same as pre-covid. Where it’s different is folks arriving 10:00am and later. It’s always been a pure gamble at that point if you’re going to be able to find parking for where you want to go - but it’s even worse now. Way more traffic than what I’m used to (luckily we’ve only seen them as we leave!). I will say though, while the daily pass is a pain for the GTSR entrances (West Glacier / St Mary’s), it does keep the traffic down. So if you’re fine hiking or doing whatever later in the day and have the pass…there’s no reason to wake up at 5am.

Let me know if you have any questions. Everything is still ridiculously expensive (they still love their huckleberries), but this park is still one of THE top parks in the USA. Enjoy!

Thanks man. I cant wait. I already have the 7 day pass and we got afternoon tickets one day for GTSR via St. Mary's entrance. We are going to do Two Medicine on another day and go early that day.

There is a trail along the Missouri in Great Falls to the West that I am going to ride. I may take it to the park too after hearing you.

We got a cheap place out near I-15 a little further out.

Reactions: Hawki97
Thanks man. I cant wait. I already have the 7 day pass and we got afternoon tickets one day for GTSR via St. Mary's entrance. We are going to do Two Medicine on another day and go early that day.

There is a trail along the Missouri in Great Falls to the West that I am going to ride. I may take it to the park too after hearing you.

We got a cheap place out near I-15 a little further out.

Enjoy!

Just a couple construction notes.

HWY2 between East and West Glacier is a pain in the ass. A long stretch of pilot cars (for like two sections of work!) that can seriously slow you down if you catch it wrong. It looks like they’ll be busy for a while so not entirely sure when you’ll be here but I’d guess that will still be under construction.

The Many Glacier entrance on the other hand is a mess. RTE 3 is probably 10ish miles of gravel, rough road. Multiple flagger / one lane roads and it takes forever to get in. It’s unfortunate because that area is so great, but just plan ahead that it’s going to be 30-45mins longer than normal to get in. That will definitely still be there when you arrive as I’m guessing it’s a summer long project.

Have fun!

Reactions: JRHawk2003
Enjoy!

HWY2 between East and West Glacier is a pain in the ass. A long stretch of pilot cars (for like two sections of work!) that can seriously slow you down if you catch it wrong. It looks like they’ll be busy for a while so not entirely sure when you’ll be here but I’d guess that will still be under construction.

The Many Glacier entrance on the other hand is a mess. RTE 3 is probably 10ish miles of gravel, rough road. Multiple flagger / one lane roads and it takes forever to get in. It’s unfortunate because that area is so great, but just plan ahead that it’s going to be 30-45mins longer than normal to get in. That will definitely still be there when you arrive as I’m guessing it’s a summer long project.

Have fun!
Sections of the Many Glacier Road were washed out during the November, 2007 Pineapple Express. 14 years later, they are actually repairing it. It caused huge flooding across WA, OR, ID, and NW MT. I lived just SE of Glacier Park at the time and didn't get a drop of rain. Didn't even know it was happening until the next day.

Sections of the Many Glacier Road were washed out during the November, 2007 Pineapple Express. 14 years later, they are actually repairing it. It caused huge flooding across WA, OR, ID, and NW MT. I lived just SE of Glacier Park at the time and didn't get a drop of rain. Didn't even know it was happening until the next day.

Interesting. Last time I was here was 1998 and we loved Many Glacier and Two Med because they were so underused. Many Glacier in particular was amazing and basically quiet because the masses went the St Mary’s and GTSR to see the Logan Pass area.

Enjoy!

Have fun!

It was absolutely an incredible trip.

We hiked up Dawsons Pass at Two Medicine. Up 2,500 feet. 8.5 miles. Everything hurt when I was done.

Did Going to the Sun Road by car. The beauty is incredible. Like its emotional to see and take in.

You were right about Hwy 2. It sucked. We went Whitewater rafting. I enjoyed that a whole lot.

I didnt bike in Glacier, but did the trail along the Missouri in Great Falls and went to Giant Spring state park. The Spring is sooo cool. 54 degrees year around.

What a trip. Its hard to overstate how vast Montana is.

We drove back on 2 lane Hwy 200. Part was under constructuon. They dont have enough roads for detours, so they make a dirt road detour.

One area we discovered was around Lewistown and the Judith Mountains area. Very pretty. Nice town.

I want to go back again soon as I know so much more now.

20210722-105141.jpg

20210721-160339.jpg

Just starting to put together a trip with my wife and teenage sons where we would drive up to the Twin Cities and take the Amtrak Empire Builder to Glacier National Park. For hiking we will probably take the easiest one there is. I'm intrigued about the shuttle tours, particularly the Going to the Sun Road that others have talked about.

We mainly just want to soak up the view and find an excuse to take another train ride, which I enjoy quite a bit. Any other advice for the more sedentary/nature novice traveler?

Reactions: CJ Beat Hard
Just starting to put together a trip with my wife and teenage sons where we would drive up to the Twin Cities and take the Amtrak Empire Builder to Glacier National Park. For hiking we will probably take the easiest one there is. I'm intrigued about the shuttle tours, particularly the Going to the Sun Road that others have talked about.

We mainly just want to soak up the view and find an excuse to take another train ride, which I enjoy quite a bit. Any other advice for the more sedentary/nature novice traveler?

Ray, I will write out something for you in more detail when I am at a keyboard.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

I finally remembered to write this.

See if you can get reservations at one of the Lodges on the West side of the park, Near the Apgar Visitors Center, West Entrance. Amtrak stops at different Glacier locations. East is on the edge of the mountains and range country. West Glacier area is where most of the activity is at. If you want less, go to Two Medicine entrance. You can find easy trails. The park is full of trails of different levels. If you get Going to the Sun Road tickets, you can either drive yourself or take the park shuttle. The red top shuttle is a private contractor that does tours. It is well set up to travel to by train.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT