ADVERTISEMENT

Tell me about Maine....

BondHawk

HR Heisman
Jun 27, 2001
Coralville, Iowa
Thinking of going to Maine with the family this summer for 8-9 days. Great deals on Sun Country out of MSP into Portland and have never been anywhere in the vicinity of Maine / New Hampshire so I am looking for tips. Mostly planning to hike, see waterfalls, see lighthouses, eat lobster, etc. I know Acadia NP is a must-do, but wondering if it is worth also uprooting and spending time in the White Mountains, and then also southern Maine for Ogunquit / Kennebunkport, etc. Any feedback is appreciated!

Reactions: BrianNole777
I had a neighbor that would take his family to Maine every summer. They rented a house there for a month. The weather was nice enough, even in the summer, that the place didn't need air conditioning. They loved it.

My only personal experience with Maine is that one time when I was working in Boston/New Hampshire, we drove to Maine after work one evening (it was only a 1-2hr drive) so we could go to a restaurant there and have lobster thermadore - it was really good.

I almost took a job there a few years ago. Set up an interview and everything. I cancelled it because I decided to give my current job one last try. Everything about Maine seemed great for me except maybe for the size of the mosquitos. I guess in the summer the mosquitos are REALLY bad. Like carry away small children bad.

Used to live in Maine for a few years as a kid. We did a family trip with my parents and sister last year, our first time back in 20+ years. Didn't really do too many touristy things though but the Portland Head Light was a pretty cool lighthouse place to visit.

Reactions: CLUB215
Stayed in ogonquit last fall, drove along the coast. So many nice villages along the coast. Find out where the locals eat lobster, bar harbor was busy / touristy but beautiful. Enjoy.

Checked out Portland and southern Maine a few years ago. Really nice pleasant area. Wish we had made it up to Acadia.

I will say I thought Kennebunkport was nice but overly-touristy. A day there was enough for me but to each his own.

A couple weeks ago I saw someone call Stephen King (the author) a "Liberal Hollywood Elitist" on Twitter and Stephen replied back, "Hi Steve, I live in rural Maine"

So Stephen King lives there. That's all I know about it.
Well yeah, there's a reason most of his stories take place there.

I visited a friend that was hiding away in Bar Harbor. I was in my early 20's and we had a lot of fun. I think the Mainlanders get crazy during the very short summer period. Obviously, not what you are looking for with the family. To that end, I recently watched this episode of the Zimmern list and Portland looked like a very quaint town full of Americana.

Thinking of going to Maine with the family this summer for 8-9 days. Great deals on Sun Country out of MSP into Portland and have never been anywhere in the vicinity of Maine / New Hampshire so I am looking for tips. Mostly planning to hike, see waterfalls, see lighthouses, eat lobster, etc. I know Acadia NP is a must-do, but wondering if it is worth also uprooting and spending time in the White Mountains, and then also southern Maine for Ogunquit / Kennebunkport, etc. Any feedback is appreciated!
Acadia NP is a cool place to PIITB.

Reactions: TennNole17
If I had a week in the summer, I would split my time between Maine and Boston. Fly into Logan, do some sights and things in Boston for a couple of days, then work my way north and do the whale watching out of Gloucester (spectacular and guaranteed to see whales), then spend a few days in Maine. When it is all done, drive back to Boston and stay down town before you fly out in the morning.

Reactions: hawkfan0319
White mountains would be a good day trip, or something to see on the way up to Maine, or back down to Boston. I would recommend Flume Gorge:

A couple weeks ago I saw someone call Stephen King (the author) a "Liberal Hollywood Elitist" on Twitter and Stephen replied back, "Hi Steve, I live in rural Maine"

So Stephen King lives there. That's all I know about it.
CSB time, Stephen King, among other celebrities, has a mansion on Casey Key which is just south of Sarasota. If anyone is ever nearby, take a road trip through it. I’m talking FVCKING mansions bro. It’s very secluded.

Acadia NP is a cool place to PIITB.
Letterkenny GIF by Crave

You also gotta stop at the LL Bean store
Ah yes, the first Original LL Bean store, very interesting, but the year the family went up, everything closed for the summer after Labor day, and we headed, s west to Yankee Candle factory and museum and then Cooperstown, NY. Baseball.

Fly into Portland. Rent a car and drive hwy 1 and visit all the small town places along the way up to Acadia and Bar Harbor. One thing I would really suggest is visit the boat building museum in Bath. It will take a day to walk all the area stopping at the old buildings where the wooden ships were built. then get on board the wooden sail ship to tour. We spent a week doing it all. A great time.

Maine has the oldest median age in the United States of 45.1 years. This is attributed to the fact that Maine has a surplus of baby boomers and a shortage of young adults. About 21.2% of Maine's population is 65 and older, while only 18.5% is under 18.

I almost took a job there a few years ago. Set up an interview and everything. I cancelled it because I decided to give my current job one last try. Everything about Maine seemed great for me except maybe for the size of the mosquitos. I guess in the summer the mosquitos are REALLY bad. Like carry away small children bad.

This is true. They were truly incredible.

If I had a week in the summer, I would split my time between Maine and Boston. Fly into Logan, do some sights and things in Boston for a couple of days, then work my way north and do the whale watching out of Gloucester (spectacular and guaranteed to see whales), then spend a few days in Maine. When it is all done, drive back to Boston and stay down town before you fly out in the morning.
This was basically my family's summer trip in 2021. Gloucester, Portland, Bar Harbor and then finished with a few days in Boston before heading home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT