ADVERTISEMENT

Tell me about Maine....

A couple weeks ago I saw someone call Stephen King (the author) a "Liberal Hollywood Elitist" on Twitter and Stephen replied back, "Hi Steve, I live in rural Maine"

So Stephen King lives there. That's all I know about it.
We have pictures of ourselves in front of his house. Didn't see him though.

Reactions: McLovin32
Thinking of going to Maine with the family this summer for 8-9 days. Great deals on Sun Country out of MSP into Portland and have never been anywhere in the vicinity of Maine / New Hampshire so I am looking for tips. Mostly planning to hike, see waterfalls, see lighthouses, eat lobster, etc. I know Acadia NP is a must-do, but wondering if it is worth also uprooting and spending time in the White Mountains, and then also southern Maine for Ogunquit / Kennebunkport, etc. Any feedback is appreciated!
We were there last August for a terrific week. The ‘skeeters are obnoxious mostly in May, no problem in August.
One of the best spots was this place in Rockland. It is a good mid point to adventure from and has a very viable local food scene.

This old style bed n breakfast set us up great in Bar Harbor. One of the unexpected benefits was off street parking in a busy tourist spot. https://www.thecentralhousebarharbor.com/ Edit. Book directly with em and tell ‘em bill sent ya. Rooms are a bit quirky, but cool.

A whale watching trip out of Bar Harbor was a singular good day. We went out some 30-40 miles into an area full of active hump
backs. Lots of tails smacking the surface, breaching the surface and landing on their sides, obvious markings identified lots of them. The biologists on board were very good.

We spent parts of two days in Acadia. Pretty amazing coast line, very busy trails and roads.

Last edited:
Thinking of going to Maine with the family this summer for 8-9 days. Great deals on Sun Country out of MSP into Portland and have never been anywhere in the vicinity of Maine / New Hampshire so I am looking for tips. Mostly planning to hike, see waterfalls, see lighthouses, eat lobster, etc. I know Acadia NP is a must-do, but wondering if it is worth also uprooting and spending time in the White Mountains, and then also southern Maine for Ogunquit / Kennebunkport, etc. Any feedback is appreciated!
They're nicknamed the Black Bears and were formerly coached by one Kirkua Jerome Ezekiel Ferentz.

Reactions: QuadCityHawkeye1976
This was basically my family's summer trip in 2021. Gloucester, Portland, Bar Harbor and then finished with a few days in Boston before heading home.
Also similar to my family trip in 2022. We flew into Albany and drove to my brother’s place on Lake Champlain for a couple of days. Then through white mountains to Portland where we did the lobster shack and light house. Then down to Boston a few days where we did Gloucester as well. Then down to Newport for a day before looping back to Albany to fly out.

Reactions: SL Hawk Fan
I have a place in NH so go up that way often. The mosquitoes are out during “black fly season” which is basically between Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. After that, nothing.

Maine is awesome. Acadia is a must, absolutely beautiful. Book a reservation to go up to Cadillac mountain. Bar Harbor is great town and if you can afford it, stay there. But it’s obscenely expensive. You can stay in other areas nearby and drive though. We did an Airbnb in Bass Harbor and it was fine; Ellsworth is also a good option.

Portland is a cool city. Also expensive. Good food though. Eventide Oyster had the best lobster roll I’ve ever had. The Sea Dogs minor league game is a good time too. You can book whale watching, go to Peaks Island, lighthouses, LL Bean Store, etc. 3-4 days is probably enough for Portland.

Then there are the summer beach towns. A lot of people go to Sebago Lake but I’ve never stayed around there. Drove by and it’s a pretty lake. The biggest tourist summer beach town is Ogunquit. Book early because it fills up quick.

Not #1, but they'd make the whitey playoffs....

West Virginia - 97.12%
Wyoming - 93.79%
Vermont - 92.80%
Maine - 92.69%
New Hampshire - 91.53%
Iowa - 90.36%
Kentucky - 87.77%
Oregon - 87.42%

Why did you leave off the top 12 states? Do they get byes?

The ratio of "interest in Maine" to "knowledge of Maine" in this thread is striking.

delaware.jpg

"Goodnight you princes of Maine, you kings of New England".

John Irving was in the writer's workshop years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT