ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Twister

Holy cow, that ref obviously has no idea what hes doing. Surprised the coaches stayed as calm as they did and when they questioned the ref he gets an attitude. Funny how the ref uses the word ass multiple times when describing what happened and says how "disappointed" he is. That was bad

Reactions: Mattski and Chuck C
The kid was just a bit dickish, but that ref sure seemed like he had a "see me" attitude.

For the old timers... is this an Arlo Fleege reboot from 40 years ago?

Gee I wonder if this will increase the number of officials signing up to officiate. Lets go national with this and give our sport as many black eyes as we can.

The kid was just a bit dickish, but that ref sure seemed like he had a "see me" attitude.

Ha. I haven't heard that name in awhile. I have been on both sides of his calls back when I competed. He was all about Arlo all the time. This guy looks to be out of the same mold.

Ha. I haven't heard that name in awhile. I have been on both sides of his calls back when I competed. He was all about Arlo all the time. This guy looks to be out of the same mold.
Funny story that I may have shared before...we were attending a high school dual meet several decades ago and he was the official. One specific match was a big mismatch between two kids and the kid was pretty much flat on his back. Arlo stomps his foot on the mat, blows his whistle, and calls the fall... all without actually getting down on the mat.

Funny story that I may have shared before...we were attending a high school dual meet several decades ago and he was the official. One specific match was a big mismatch between two kids and the kid was pretty much flat on his back. Arlo stomps his foot on the mat, blows his whistle, and calls the fall... all without actually getting down on the mat.

Bob Siddens did the same thing in a dual. But who was going to question him??

I was sitting with a highly respected college coach at Vets 25ish years ago and the coach says to me to watch Arlo screw one of these kids in the 1A quarterfinals between a #1 and #2 kid. He isn’t sure which one it will be, but it’s going to happen.

Sure enough the one kid gets a takedown with about 15 seconds left to tie it up. They go out of bounds with about ten seconds.

Kid on top goes to a spiral ride and gets nailed for stalling in about three seconds. Match over.

Coach looks at me and says I told you so.

Ranks just behind the highway robbery that happened to rocky Lombardi in the finals as far as bad calls. And I know arlo didn’t do Rocky’s match

I also think this official retired at the end of the tourney. Someone had a tweet out that said "he didn't have much to lose I guess.."

From the video, I saw a ahead butt called that probably wasn't a head butt, supposedly the wrestler raised his hand indicating a stalling call that was off camera, and then the claim was sodomy. After that, the official came to the table totally out of control. That simply cannot happen.
This is what I would have done - if I thought it was possibly a head butt, I would have talked to the wrestler and told him to watch his head - it was close to a head butt (then, if he does a close one again - ding him). Stalling should have been called a couple of times as opponent did not make a effort to stay inbounds. If the wrestler raises his fist to indicate a stalling call, I would talk to him again to let him know I would ding him if he tells me how to call a match again.
The sodomy part was bogus. Hands end up in the crack all the time. I have NEVER seen that called before and cannot imagine a kid would deliberately stick his fingers up someone's butt hole during a match.
When the ref comes to the table, he HAS TO BE IN CONTROL. Hot headed and profanity indicates he doesn't have the fortitude to be a ref.

My 2 cents.

From the video, I saw a ahead butt called that probably wasn't a head butt, supposedly the wrestler raised his hand indicating a stalling call that was off camera, and then the claim was sodomy. After that, the official came to the table totally out of control. That simply cannot happen.
This is what I would have done - if I thought it was possibly a head butt, I would have talked to the wrestler and told him to watch his head - it was close to a head butt (then, if he does a close one again - ding him). Stalling should have been called a couple of times as opponent did not make a effort to stay inbounds. If the wrestler raises his fist to indicate a stalling call, I would talk to him again to let him know I would ding him if he tells me how to call a match again.
The sodomy part was bogus. Hands end up in the crack all the time. I have NEVER seen that called before and cannot imagine a kid would deliberately stick his fingers up someone's butt hole during a match.
When the ref comes to the table, he HAS TO BE IN CONTROL. Hot headed and profanity indicates he doesn't have the fortitude to be a ref.

My 2 cents.
This, ref was a joke. Even if he did go knuckle deep like the ref showed, dont you think the wrestler would have done something or said something??? Ref was a complete tool and thought he had all the power. That is what drives me absolutely nuts at every level of basketball, baseball, and wrestling. Refs think people pay to come watch them

Reactions: HIWILLE and MitchLL
Calling the oil check a flagrant was definitely over the top, but I wouldn't mind that being called unsportsmanlike more often. I feel like every time I watch NCAA's with non-fans someone does it and then the stereotypical wrestling comments are made.

While I thought DeSanto's stall call was hilarious, it technically is unsportsmanlike. But I do agree with texas twister that a verbal warning wouldn't have hurt.

Didn't see a head butt.

Calling the oil check a flagrant was definitely over the top, but I wouldn't mind that being called unsportsmanlike more often. I feel like every time I watch NCAA's with non-fans someone does it and then the stereotypical wrestling comments are made.

While I thought DeSanto's stall call was hilarious, it technically is unsportsmanlike. But I do agree with texas twister that a verbal warning wouldn't have hurt.

Didn't see a head butt.

I saw the head butt. However, I’m not sure it rose to the level of point deduction.

Wow. I knew a lot of people didnt like him but i didnt know quite so many people here knew Arlos tactics. I had a run in with him at state where he made a call that was proven wrong and then made up another reason to justify his original call and result. Looks a lot like what the ref in this match did.
I have seen a lot of wrestlers lose self control and this didnt seem to be one of those times. Seems to be that previous behavior may have played a part in this . This is something AD should watch and understand that while most refs are fair, you dont want to put yourself into a position where you draw a ref that wants to make moral points instead of reffing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT