ADVERTISEMENT

Thank god

relishingwinning18

HB Heisman
Feb 21, 2009
Fran didn't use those last two timeouts, so now we can carry them over into our NCAA first-round game. Poor coaching cost us this game. Between his technical and refusing to call timeouts, to call plays at the end of the game, Fran failed today. It doesn't help that everyone besides white and Uhtoff were 5-30, but Fran should've called a timeout down two, with a minute and 15 left, to get jok into the game for Clemmons.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Yeah, Jok really had the hot hand going 1-7 today. At some point the guys have to make some shots. I put zero blame on Fran.

Originally posted by relishingwinning18:
Fran didn't use those last two timeouts, so now we can carry them over into our NCAA first-round game. Poor coaching cost us this game. Between his technical and refusing to call timeouts, to call plays at the end of the game, Fran failed today. It doesn't help that everyone besides white and Uhtoff were 5-30, but Fran should've called a timeout down two, with a minute and 15 left, to get jok into the game for Clemmons.

Great post - he should have called a TO and told them to make a shot. Wow what horrible coaching telling the boys to shoot 26% - dam McCaffrey!

He had Clemmons in for defense because Jok is what I call a matador defender. He may be as bad a defensive player as there is in the BIG.

I agree cg PJ was lighting it up 1-7 coming off a awesome shooting display against NW WHERE he went a blistering 0-2 from 2 and 0-3 from 3. now why would you have some in there that couldn't hit the broad side of the barn standing next to it.
real smart, real smart OP.

Originally posted by Hawkirish:

Great post - he should have called a TO and told them to make a shot.  Wow what horrible coaching telling the boys to shoot 26% - dam McCaffrey!
Let me get this right. You guys would rather not call a timeout, to try to draw up a play, in order to get a good shot. Rather settling for a Uthoff fadeaway jumper from 18 foot. Gotcha. Frans technical cost us bad.

Originally posted by illhawkdvv:

He had Clemmons in for defense because Jok is what I call a matador defender. He may be as bad a defensive player as there is in the BIG.
Have you watched him play in the last 20 games? He is playing pretty good defense. Forced Newbill to turn the ball over. Exactly who has lit him up recently if he is so bad?

Originally posted by cg8284:
Yeah, Jok really had the hot hand going 1-7 today. At some point the guys have to make some shots. I put zero blame on Fran.
Really? You'd rather have Clemmon's out there in 3-point shooting scenarios?

Great post - he should have called a TO and told them to make a shot. Wow what horrible coaching telling the boys to shoot 26% - dam McCaffrey!
Let me get this right. You guys would rather not call a timeout, to try to draw up a play, in order to get a good shot. Rather settling for a Uthoff fadeaway jumper from 18 foot. Gotcha. Frans technical cost us bad.

Hell I'd always call a play if I could but if I had to pick someone to take the shot it would have been Uthoff and he's hit plenty of tough shots. I will disagree that Iowa lost due to poor coaching as I'd lean to horrible shooting but that's me. You can certainly pick questionable coaching decisions in any game and I would be the first to tell you Fran has had a couple poorly coached games. I also don't understand why he saves timeouts but it's the way he coaches. I won't agree that "Poor coaching cost us this game."

Originally posted by Herkster5:

Originally posted by cg8284:
Really? You'd rather have Clemmon's out there in 3-point shooting scenarios?
I guess I would since Sapp is 36.7 and Jok is 35.1 so far this year. Does it really matter. It's not like Jok is 20% better.

Coaches look smart when teams shoot well and not so much when the team shoots poorly, Been that way ever since I can recall. No problem with Uthoff taking the shot, Much rather him taking it than PJ, When PJ is on it's usually in the first half, I don't recall all that many big shots from him during crunch time of games.

Great post - he should have called a TO and told them to make a shot. Wow what horrible coaching telling the boys to shoot 26% - dam McCaffrey!

Any shot by Uthoff was better than Jok, Ogelsby, Clemmons, Gesell, or woodbury taking a shot.

I can see your point, but when you shoot 26% from field and 18% or whatever from 3pt line, you aren't going to win. Call a time out and tell them to make a freaking basket, yeah, couldn't hurt but not likely to change the trajectory of the bricks..

Fran didn't have the worst shooting day of the entire season (and that's saying something), his players did.

I don't think Fran is the next coming of Bob Knight, but if your players can't make a basket to save their collective asses, you're going to lose. Period.

Penn State played inspired basketball. They're a bunch of guys playing for their season, hoping to extend it, game by game. The Hawks simply didn't look like they wanted it bad enough. The offensive execution was bad (a lot of awkward rushed shots), and their defense completely failed them the second half.

Coaches and others like to pretend that motivations doesn't matter, that players need to be equally ready mentally for every game. But that's just not possible. Iowa had won 6 straight Big 10 games coming into this one, a remarkable achievement by any standard. A letdown/stinker of a game like this was inevitable. Glad it happened today, not next week.

If you're going to blame the coaches for anything, it should be for not getting their team to stop Penn State from standing back and jacking up wide open 25 footers, again and again. That was the only possible way they could beat Iowa, and that's what they did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT