ADVERTISEMENT

"Thank you story" for the Iowa Wrestling Parents

Vallholl

HR Legend
Feb 2, 2013
In anticipation of the wrestling postseason, I have a memory from 2010 that I wanted to share. I feel like this story should be "dedicated" to the parents of wrestlers who may come to the board.

As a wrestling fan, I love the discussion on this board. But as a parent, I some cringe at the negativity directed towards wrestlers. Surely, no one comes to Iowa to wrestle and expects puppy dogs and rainbows and I get it, it's a stupid message board and wrestling is a hard sport. But still, if you think about it, at least 9 out of 10 wrestlers have received negative comments on the board this year- and that is just the starters.

So with that premise, I have a story of the adoration that Iowa fans have for their wrestlers.

In 2010, I attended the NCAA wrestling championships in which Iowa last won. My aunt, son and I had gone for the three-year run of championships and enjoyed each one. Realizing it was going to be difficult to 4-peat, I wanted to "soak" it all in. So, Saturday Night after McDonough, Metcalf, Borschel and Iowa won their titles and my companions went to bed, I decided to attend my first HAWK party since I was 10 years old. I was alone which allowed me to wander around and people watch.

The first thing that struck me was the number of people that showed up to celebrate the ballroom of the hotel. It was packed with people. I remember seeing Mark Perry and some wrestlers walk by me (Perry was an assistant at Cal Poly at the time). I remember thinking, "that's cool that he comes back to be at the Iowa celebration and brought some of his wrestlers with him. There are probably more people in this ballroom than at a Cal Poly home dual".

The highlights of the night was when each of the 10 wrestlers who wrestled at the NCAAs spoke to the crowd. The one speech that stuck with me most to me was Chad Beatty's speech. And perhaps it has less to do with what Chad Beatty said that night and more to do what Chad had done as a wrestler and with what the crowd did during his speech.

I'm sure other people know Chad's story better that I do (which I had to look up to get some of the facts) but he was an accomplished high school wrestler came to Iowa. The Bio on the website says: In High School he was a two-time state champion at 171 pounds, winning three individual conference titles... career record of 109-7 included two undefeated seasons and 45 pins.

Chad was beaten out at 174 pounds when Jay Borschel became eligible after transferring from VTU. During the 2007-2008-season year, he wrestled at 174, 184 and 197. I think it was ISU when he first went out and wrestled at 197. I recall Tom being interviewed after the first match and making a comment about how that was a really big gap btw 174 and 197 and apologized for putting Chad in that position (which is another reason Alex Meyer is awesome sauce).

Chad came back in 2008 and after bulking up to 197 and he look like a totally different person. That year Chad battled injuries and missed 2008 Midlands and 2008-09 duals against Bloomsburg, Iowa State, Northern Iowa and Oklahoma State due to injury. One of Chad's most memorable matches occurred against Michigan that year. Michigan led 16-13 with 197 / HWT left. Iowa needed a win at 197 to have a shot at the team victory. Hawkeye sophomore, Beatty, who lost a 8-0 major decision to Wolverine freshman Anthony Biondo a month earlier, scored a takedown as time expired to beat Biondo, 2-1. He qualified for NCAAs after finishing 4th at B1G but did not AA.

Then in 2009-2010 he missed entire Big Ten dual season due to injury but finished 6th at B1G. At the B1Gs, after he lost to Sonny Yohn 7-6 TB-1, he injury default as he had qualified for the NCAAs. At the NCAAs that year, Chad did drew "Z" Gelogaev (OSU) and lost in the first round 4-2 TB-1. Then he won three one point matches before losing to Brandvold (WI). He went 3-2 at the NCAAs that year. He did not place.

Anyway when it was time for the wrestlers to speak, they got up on a raised platform in the center of the room and said a few words. Chad was called on first. Chad had not achieved his goals in his last season as an Iowa Wrestler. When he got up, he had his head down; barely able to speak he started with "I'm sorry, I let you guys down." And then he started to breakdown how he had lost matches he shouldn't have.

The fans refused to accept Chad's apology. Members of the crowd shouted things at him. I remember watching the process as a first timer, thinking, "I guess there is audience participation at these things" (spoiler alert- his was the only "speech" that involved audience participation). People were shouting out things like "you scored points for us", "you made the team better", "you made it to Nationals", "You moved up to 197 to help the team", "You stuck it out", "you beat Biondo" and "You wrestled hurt". It was a pretty descriptive list. I felt like everything that was yelled at Chad that night was sincere. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but it was men sharing emotions in front of a large crowd of people.

Let that sink in.

**Wendy/amyla/other females- here's a little clue; men do not like to share their emotions.**

Ever.

And certainly not men who are wrestling fans (well except maybe at 2 am and then it's all "I love you, man": 24/7). As I looked around the room I began to study the people who were yelling. I remember there was a young man (mid twenties) next to me, who had started the shouting. As I studied him I it was obvious that he was not just a wrestling fan but also a former wrestler. As I watched him this outpouring of male emotion, I realized what this young man and the rest of the men were saying to Chad was much more than a list of his accomplishments.

What they were says was "you got to wrestle my dream and you did a damn fine job".

Thanks to the young men and their families, (past, present, future) that commit to wrestle at Iowa and especially to this year's seniors who have one last ride.

Where are they now? Pretty nice endorsement-Gable

Great post! I always felt Chad got a bad call against Z. Any video of this? That night he was signing autographs for kids and posing for pictures even though his dreams got crushed. Sometimes it gets lost in the shuffle just how great these Iowa wrestlers are off the mat.

Originally posted by Vallholl:
In anticipation of the wrestling postseason, I have a memory from 2010 that I wanted to share. I feel like this story should be "dedicated" to the parents of wrestlers who may come to the board.

As a wrestling fan, I love the discussion on this board. But as a parent, I some cringe at the negativity directed towards wrestlers. Surely, no one comes to Iowa to wrestle and expects puppy dogs and rainbows and I get it, it's a stupid message board and wrestling is a hard sport. But still, if you think about it, at least 9 out of 10 wrestlers have received negative comments on the board this year- and that is just the starters.

So with that premise, I have a story of the adoration that Iowa fans have for their wrestlers.

In 2010, I attended the NCAA wrestling championships in which Iowa last won. My aunt, son and I had gone for the three-year run of championships and enjoyed each one. Realizing it was going to be difficult to 4-peat, I wanted to "soak" it all in. So, Saturday Night after McDonough, Metcalf, Borschel and Iowa won their titles and my companions went to bed, I decided to attend my first HAWK party since I was 10 years old. I was alone which allowed me to wander around and people watch.

The first thing that struck me was the number of people that showed up to celebrate the ballroom of the hotel. It was packed with people. I remember seeing Mark Perry and some wrestlers walk by me (Perry was an assistant at Cal Poly at the time). I remember thinking, "that's cool that he comes back to be at the Iowa celebration and brought some of his wrestlers with him. There are probably more people in this ballroom than at a Cal Poly home dual".

The highlights of the night was when each of the 10 wrestlers who wrestled at the NCAAs spoke to the crowd. The one speech that stuck with me most to me was Chad Beatty's speech. And perhaps it has less to do with what Chad Beatty said that night and more to do what Chad had done as a wrestler and with what the crowd did during his speech.

I'm sure other people know Chad's story better that I do (which I had to look up to get some of the facts) but he was an accomplished high school wrestler came to Iowa. The Bio on the website says: In High School he was a two-time state champion at 171 pounds, winning three individual conference titles... career record of 109-7 included two undefeated seasons and 45 pins.

Chad was beaten out at 174 pounds when Jay Borschel became eligible after transferring from VTU. During the 2007-2008-season year, he wrestled at 174, 184 and 197. I think it was ISU when he first went out and wrestled at 197. I recall Tom being interviewed after the first match and making a comment about how that was a really big gap btw 174 and 197 and apologized for putting Chad in that position (which is another reason Alex Meyer is awesome sauce).

Chad came back in 2008 and after bulking up to 197 and he look like a totally different person. That year Chad battled injuries and missed 2008 Midlands and 2008-09 duals against Bloomsburg, Iowa State, Northern Iowa and Oklahoma State due to injury. One of Chad's most memorable matches occurred against Michigan that year. Michigan led 16-13 with 197 / HWT left. Iowa needed a win at 197 to have a shot at the team victory. Hawkeye sophomore, Beatty, who lost a 8-0 major decision to Wolverine freshman Anthony Biondo a month earlier, scored a takedown as time expired to beat Biondo, 2-1. He qualified for NCAAs after finishing 4th at B1G but did not AA.

Then in 2009-2010 he missed entire Big Ten dual season due to injury but finished 6th at B1G. At the B1Gs, after he lost to Sonny Yohn 7-6 TB-1, he injury default as he had qualified for the NCAAs. At the NCAAs that year, Chad did drew "Z" Gelogaev (OSU) and lost in the first round 4-2 TB-1. Then he won three one point matches before losing to Brandvold (WI). He went 3-2 at the NCAAs that year. He did not place.

Anyway when it was time for the wrestlers to speak, they got up on a raised platform in the center of the room and said a few words. Chad was called on first. Chad had not achieved his goals in his last season as an Iowa Wrestler. When he got up, he had his head down; barely able to speak he started with "I'm sorry, I let you guys down." And then he started to breakdown how he had lost matches he shouldn't have.

The fans refused to accept Chad's apology. Members of the crowd shouted things at him. I remember watching the process as a first timer, thinking, "I guess there is audience participation at these things" (spoiler alert- his was the only "speech" that involved audience participation). People were shouting out things like "you scored points for us", "you made the team better", "you made it to Nationals", "You moved up to 197 to help the team", "You stuck it out", "you beat Biondo" and "You wrestled hurt". It was a pretty descriptive list. I felt like everything that was yelled at Chad that night was sincere. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but it was men sharing emotions in front of a large crowd of people.

Let that sink in.

**Wendy/amyla/other females- here's a little clue; men do not like to share their emotions.**

Ever.

And certainly not men who are wrestling fans (well except maybe at 2 am and then it's all "I love you, man": 24/7). As I looked around the room I began to study the people who were yelling. I remember there was a young man (mid twenties) next to me, who had started the shouting. As I studied him I it was obvious that he was not just a wrestling fan but also a former wrestler. As I watched him this outpouring of male emotion, I realized what this young man and the rest of the men were saying to Chad was much more than a list of his accomplishments.

What they were says was "you got to wrestle my dream and you did a damn fine job".

Thanks to the young men and their families, (past, present, future) that commit to wrestle at Iowa and especially to this year's seniors who have one last ride.
Vall...great f-ing post bro. Really puts it into perspective, especially when most of us never came close to achieving what these young men have.

Great post Vall!! (Is that you Tarp?
wink.r191677.gif
) But seriously, it's stories like that that make wrestling the great sport it is. Beatty was a warrior and great Hawk!!

Originally posted by Old_wrestling_fan:
Great post Vall!! (Is that you Tarp?
wink.r191677.gif
) But seriously, it's stories like that that make wrestling the great sport it is. Beatty was a warrior and great Hawk!!
He was indeed, COMPLETELY transformed his body to do it too. Loved the effort from that kid.

There was a similar deal at the Hawk party in St. Louis. There were some dejected guys who didn't get what they wanted as individuals, but the Team won the Title this particular year. Some guys just didn't want to talk, but the crowd wanted to hear from all of them. It was a fun atmosphere for sure. Good to see all the parents there too.

As for the overall picture, life's a bitch for all of us at one point or another, just have to deal with it as best we can.

Great post Vallhol! Wrestlers are true warriors, the things they have to do to compete we take for granted. Beatty was a great Hawk and the list of others is endless. We are fans of one of the greatest teams of any sport in this country. These guys deserve all the praise we can give them.

Originally posted by WEH8ST8HAWK:
Great post Vallhol! Wrestlers are true warriors, the things they have to do to compete we take for granted. Beatty was a great Hawk and the list of others is endless. We are fans of one of the greatest teams of any sport in this country. These guys deserve all the praise we can give them.
Great post Vallhol. Chad and many others have been warriors wrestling with injuries, moving up or down a weight to help the team..They all deserve our support even guys that we call "room guys" because where would the starters be if they had no one to work out with. Lets give this group and all the groups forward all the praise we can give. Like others have said;"these young men have fullfilled a dream many of us wish we had"..
Also thanks to the parents for giving us these young men for 5 hard years.

What an awesome post. Vallholl…you've always been one of my favorite contributors to this site; add this to the pile of great work. Can't wait to show my support for the team in STL!!

Excellent post.. Brought back many memories for me. D-1 college wrestling is sometimes brutal. Can't imagine that grind for 4-5 years. So much respect for all of the Hawks Over the years. From the starters to the pine riders

Great post Vall. We were there as well, and I'm about 99.9% sure that the young man you're speaking of was my younger brother. I must've been standing right next to you... Small world.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Great post. I remember that evening vividly as well. One thing I remember the most is Dan Dennis. He had lost in heartbreaking fashion and no one knew how to approach him. I felt awful for
him. He was in a room full of happy people and he was heartbroken and people were treating him like someone died. It was hard to watch. I specifically remember one of the coaches wives seeing him and just breaking down into tears and giving him a hug.

Brutal sport at times. Still the hardest loss I've sat through as an Iowa fan with one specific wrestler. McIlravy's loss to Marinetti was tough too but the match played out in a way you saw it coming. With Dan, he had him dead to rights. Just needed to run backwards and he wins.

Great post! For every "star" wrestler there are 20 Chad Beattys. Guys that don't often get the recognition even though they put int the same amount of work as the bigger named wrestlers. Thanks for posting. That was an amazing night and I hope we get to hear new stories like this in a couple weeks after Iowa wins another National Championship.

Boy Chad was so close to being an elite guy and beating anyone that wasnt named Varner in that weight class. When he was healthy he was beating guys like Cam Simaz. Just never caught a break on injuries. He and M* and Ereksen. Felt bad for those 3 in Omaha.

Still make me want to puke that Zabriskie won that HWT title. Good wrestler and all but really. No doubt a healthy Erecksen rolls him over and sticks him.

Add this to the reason why we come to these boards! Amazing post Vallholl. I wasn't there at that Hawk Party, but just reading this got me completely emotional (though I have no problems showing my emotions ;-)
I think it's important that as fans we expect alot out of our athletes, it's partially because of those expectations (and I like to think their own personal dedication to themselves) that our wrestlers come out and bring it. And, they also know they are going to get called on it when they don't work.
But....maybe this is the female or the mom in me...I agree 100% with you Vallholl, there is a limit and the fans often discourage me with negativity. And, us Iowa Fans are some of the most demanding of our guys. But, it's stories like these....that make you realize the FAMILY that exists among wrestlers and wrestling fans. The other thing that always discourages me, is when fans try to mock when the wrestlers do get emotional. I think we all need to remember HOW HARD these guys work....and when they LOSE OR WIN a big match....everyone should understand perfectly well why tears are shed or they stumble down to the mat.

Personally, all I will ever ask of our wrestlers is that they came out and give 110%, blood, sweat and sometimes tears for every single period. If they do that and lose. I'm still a prowd Hawkeye Wrestling fan. :)

#hawkproud

Originally posted by Big Fall:
Great post. I remember that evening vividly as well. One thing I remember the most is Dan Dennis. He had lost in heartbreaking fashion and no one knew how to approach him. I felt awful for
him. He was in a room full of happy people and he was heartbroken and people were treating him like someone died. It was hard to watch. I specifically remember one of the coaches wives seeing him and just breaking down into tears and giving him a hug.

Brutal sport at times. Still the hardest loss I've sat through as an Iowa fan with one specific wrestler. McIlravy's loss to Marinetti was tough too but the match played out in a way you saw it coming. With Dan, he had him dead to rights. Just needed to run backwards and he wins.
Agree 100% about Dennis' loss being especially painful because all he had to do was turn and run, take a stalling call, and win. On the other hand, I do respect him for refusing to win like that. Some of you might also remember than Dan had Jordan Oliver beat at Carver-Hawkeye, too, but he hung in there with him as the clock ticked down and got taken down via slide-by, IIRC, right before the buzzer. A little like his career as a whole -- peppered with some big disappointments, including not winning an Illinois state title. All of that said, Dennis was one heck of a tough and scrappy wrestler, and everyone knows it, including Iowa fans, Jordan Oliver, Jason Ness, and fans across the country. He's had more than his share of heartache as a wrestler, but I'm sure he's also widely respected for the heart he showed as a competitor.

I also agree that Dennis' loss to Ness was one of the all-time most painful from a fan's perspective. Metcalf's loss in the finals was right up there for me, as was McIlravy's. That was a rough final session, seeing Lincoln lose to Marianetti and then having to suffer through Joel Sharratt losing to J.J. McGrew, one of the sport's all-time villains. Absolutely brutal watching the pain on their faces as they stood on the podium.

But hey -- that's part of the beauty of wrestling. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat are no more intense in any other sport on earth. . . and that's precisely why we love it.

Great post Val!
We saw Chad afterwards at the Joe Buck's restaurant; he was there with his friends/family. As I walked by him, having my Iowa shirt on, we looked and nodded at each other. I couldn't resist to briefly talk to him. I told him how thankful all of us fans were for his effort and wrestling through injuries and giving it all every time he stepped on the mat. He was obviously touched; he thanked me and said that he would not change a thing if he could do it all over again.
Thinking of all of our wrestlers and what they are going though every single day. Let's support them the best way we can! Go Hawks!

Come to think of it, someone should let Chad know about this thread. I suspect he'd get a kick out of it. Dan Dennis probably would, too. For that matter, any wrestler who's ever been on the roster would probably appreciate the sentiments in this thread -- they're all heroes to Hawk fans.

I am glad people enjoyed this post and appreciate all the additions.

I did email it to Kwood b4 I posted it, thought he might look it over and make some suggestions. But rather than read his email, he was on here with his emoji family, spreading the love. Anyway, Kwood did finally get to his email and made great suggestions and with some of the contributions from you fine folks, I will fix it up for future years.

Gobblin, kind of crazy that we would both be at an Iowa Wrestling event.
wink.r191677.gif
Seriously though, that was pretty cool that your brother started the shout outs. When it (the public emotion sharing) started I was a little taken aback and then I started to realize how important Chad's efforts were to the people in the room. To see grown men react like that was at first a little weird but then as it sunk in, it became an awesome memory. If your brother was standing next to a tall, middle aged man who looks slightly out of place in a room full of wrestlers, then it probably was me.

Wendy- thanks for the tweet to Chad.

The article I linked about Chad's recommendation from Gable is an excellent postscript to the story.

I didn't even recognize him at first thanks to the mountain man beard. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT