ADVERTISEMENT

Thank you to the Iowa Women for the Incredibly Fun 2-Year Ride

2 consecutive National Championship game appearances.

We came up short in both games but the memories will live on forever.

34-5 this year
31-7 last year
65-12 (.844)
============

What a ride it's been.
Thank you for a uplifting, positive post, fran.

Some posters could learn from you on how to lose graciously.

They didn't win the Championship, but they changed the way people view women's sports, which is way bigger.
Most people kind of think both Magic and Larry won that 79 championship game, Larry just couldn't carry Indiana St over the top. I think it's gonna be kind of the same with Caitlin, especially with the two year run to the title game.

Agreed, one of my favorite teams to ever watch even from afar. Jumped on the bandwagon at the end of their sophomore year and it's been a fabulous ride since.

Thank you Caitlin. Ring or no ring you changed the game forever. No one else can say that. That is your true legacy.

What a career!

Furthermore, I'm really impressed and proud of what those ladies have done over the past several seasons!

Great work ... kudos all around.

Thank you for supplying my family with such high-level entertainment over the past several years. A lot of Iowa pride ... I think Matt Roth has 3 words to say about it too ...

Iowa is now on the national map as a program

5 Star Allie Deal out of California committing to Iowa is one example
I hope so! I also hope we don’t turn into the men’s Butler Basketball program who made two magical runs and then went radio silent after that…although they did lose their coach to the NBA…don’t see Bluder leaving for the WNBA.

Reactions: Franisdaman
It came down to the benches - plain and simple. SC's bench outscored Iowa's 37-0. They were just a deeper and more talented team

Friday's game did not get over until around 10:30 pm; then there was postgame interviews

Hannah said she did not get to bed until 2:30 am yesterday. Then she/the team had to be up early for media interviews.

Today we only played 2 off the bench (OGrady with 13 minutes; Feuerbach with 5)

Our bench getting outscored 37-0 is crazy

Back to back national championship game appearances and the only team in the last 2 years to beat that team we just went up against.

And all done by a goddamn Iowa Hawkeye team in a sport that historically knows zero parity.

Lots to be proud of. We’ll always remember this run.

Last edited:
I'm happy the Hawks were able to make the championship game not once....but twice. For a team like Iowa, that simply cannot stack their roster with 5 star recruits, that is nothing short of amazing!

On the other hand I'm sad. Sad this was the last time we'll see this special group of players, and sad that it is likely the Hawks will never have this good of a chance at a national title (football or basketball) in my lifetime.

34-5 this year
31-7 last year
65-12 (.844)
============

What a ride it's been.
Two great seasons. And while I can't speak for Hawk fans, I would think this year's loss was much easier to accept than last year. This year Iowa lost to a better team. Last year they lost to an incompetent officiating crew.

Two great seasons. And while I can't speak for Hawk fans, I would think this year's loss was much easier to accept than last year. This year Iowa lost to a better team. Last year they lost to an incompetent officiating crew.
I don't think that Iowa lost to LSU because of the refs. They were hitting from 3-point land at a clip that they hadn't all year. It's hard to beat a team that is that strong on the interior ... and that is also hitting like that from outside.

34-5 this year
31-7 last year
65-12 (.844)
============

What a ride it's been.
Totally agree that they played great. The hawks are not as deep and not as tall and not as athletically skilled top to bottom than a handful of teams but they beat those teams by playing great team bball.

Iowa wont see a great player like Clark in a long time. She went out a champ in my book

Last edited:
Last year's Final Four appearance broke a 30 year drought (Iowa's 1993 team made the Final Four).

The full text of the tweet:

Iowa's Caitlin Clark was thankful in her final press conference.

“It was sad going into that locker room for the last time with those seniors who I love to death. … But there’s so much to be thankful for outside of basketball. That’s where I found my peace and calm.

Also, I reflect back on my career, and I know I gave it every single thing I had. There are so many people that (didn’t) believe Iowa would make the Final Four once. To do it twice, that’s pretty incredible.”

Reactions: Torg and drew_hawk
full text of the tweet:

Caitlin Clark with the money quote IMO: Choosing Iowa was “one of the best decisions I’ve ever made in my life. There’s not a regret in my mind of how things went. I’ll be able to sleep at night even though I never won a national championship. Everything I’ve done, there’s so much to be proud of. I don’t sit and sulk about the things that never happened.”

It sucks to go 0-2 in the last two title games, and not get at least one. Never thought I'd see any Iowa basketball team make back to back title game appearances. I think Iowa can parlay this into being a regular Sweet 16 type team with the occasional Elite 8 to Final 4.

I don't think that Iowa lost to LSU because of the refs. They were hitting from 3-point land at a clip that they hadn't all year. It's hard to beat a team that is that strong on the interior ... and that is also hitting like that from outside.
I think the officials certainly helped LSU and that to me tainted the game.
Whenever officials do that it taints it

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
It sucks to go 0-2 in the last two title games, and not get at least one. Never thought I'd see any Iowa basketball team make back to back title game appearances. I think Iowa can parlay this into being a regular Sweet 16 type team with the occasional Elite 8 to Final 4.

Final Fours are not easy to make. The Iowa women went 30 years before returning. The Iowa men haven't been to a Final Four in 44 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT