ADVERTISEMENT

That oughta end the UNI talk

Wasn't Iowa winning that game in 2011 by like 10-15pts?? Then Marble made some stupid turnovers and forced some shots and then it became a 5-6pt game and then that's when Fran came unglued. I remember Iowa playing pretty decent, then they just screwed the pooch.

As a fan of both schools I really didn't see a problem with the game. I realize some of the calls were "questionable" but there will always be questionable calls. Was MSU in the BTT the same year or was that the following year? Personally thought the MSU was WAY WORSE than the UNI game.

I'd say you'd be about the only Iowa fan I've ever heard from that didn't think that game was way out of whack concerning the officials. But to each his own.

I'd say you'd be about the only Iowa fan I've ever heard from that didn't think that game was way out of whack concerning the officials. But to each his own.

There was some "questionable" calls that game no doubt. UNI defense started to "flop" but the refs were allowing it, so why not keep doing it? I guess I look at is, "UNI knew how the refs were calling the game and adjusted to it." Iowa for whatever reason was dominating them (10-15pt lead) and then they went away from their gameplan and started forcing it. When McCabe got the Technical it was spiraling out of control and the players just fell apart. It was a tight ballgame up until that point.

I still claim the MSU BTT was the worst game ever. That was blatant screw job by TV Teddy.

There was some "questionable" calls that game no doubt. UNI defense started to "flop" but the refs were allowing it, so why not keep doing it? I guess I look at is, "UNI knew how the refs were calling the game and adjusted to it." Iowa for whatever reason was dominating them (10-15pt lead) and then they went away from their gameplan and started forcing it. When McCabe got the Technical it was spiraling out of control and the players just fell apart. It was a tight ballgame up until that point.

I still claim the MSU BTT was the worst game ever. That was blatant screw job by TV Teddy.
I have to agree with that last paragraph.

The 2005 Iowa v. Michigan, 2006 Outback Bowl, and 2013 Iowa v. MSU BTT game are the three biggest screw jobs I have ever seen in my life for an entire game (bball game was really just the entire second half.)

I was not alive for the '72 USA v. USSR gold medal basketball game.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

I don't think Iowa ever had much if any of a lead in that game. It was close until Fran got tossed and then UNI went on a big run of freethrows. I think they shot like ten in a row or something.

There was a ton of insane calls in that game. Did you watch the video that was put up? Ive never seen offensive fouls called in the situations they were that game. The one on Gatens in transition is something you will never see again.

I think Fran had rubbed that crew the wrong way at some point prior.

I agree the BTT game with Valentine was crooked as all get out. I'd love to waterboard that (insert whatever you want) until he fesses up to WHY he decided to screw our chances at the NCAA's?

Wow.

Questionable calls is one way of putting it. Two sets of rules applied in that game. Clearly.

Yeah Iowa was dominating that game, but you can't figure out why they went away from their game plan and what was working. Here's a hint: THE REFS!!!!

Yeah UNI was obviously flopping and the refs were allowing it. That is a problem. The more UNI did it, the more it was called. That is why Iowa fans are upset. They were calling touch fouls, phantom fouls and flops on one end and allowing murder on the other end. It went on for both halfs. Aaron White had three fouls and everyone of them were complete BS.

There was not much difference between the MSU game and the UNI game in the level of screw job. The only difference is that the MSU game had much more on the line.

Well, there is the fact that UNI outscored Iowa at the foul line 29 to 3.

I don't think Iowa ever had much if any of a lead in that game. It was close until Fran got tossed and then UNI went on a big run of freethrows. I think they shot like ten in a row or something.

There was a ton of insane calls in that game. Did you watch the video that was put up? Ive never seen offensive fouls called in the situations they were that game. The one on Gatens in transition is something you will never see again.

I think Fran had rubbed that crew the wrong way at some point prior.

That is what I was thinking during that game. He did not ever get along with Bo Boroski in his early days at Iowa. Bo & Valentine & Sanzere were 3 officials who were not afraid of Fran and would T him up in an instant. Fran has since cooled off, but in his first couple of years he was "out of control" at times and I believe that cost him a few Technicals. He would rub the officials the wrong way and I believe that some of them had a "grudge" with him.

The flopping calls were pretty bad, but oh well. Its just like going to the Breslin Center, Assembly Hall, or even West Lafayette you are not going to get the calls you would get at home. The visiting teams always seem to get screwed at some point in a game and it was no different at UNI or ISU.
I personally would like Iowa to play UNI every year and just drop Drake and go find another good mid-major to play or try and set up a neutral site game. I realize they are hamstrung with all the other challenges (Gavitt, ACC, and Pre season tourneys).

Judge for yourselves.

Man watching that is funny I am sorry. I miss the throw my hands up in the air McCabe. The guy was a fighter on the boards, but damn he would complain about everything. He would smoke a guys arm and he would act like he was innocent. After watching that there were maybe 5-7 calls that would be questionable. A lot of the offensive fouls you see Iowa players "lowering" their shoulders or putting their off arm out. The one on Gatens was odd and the one where he is running down the floor I remember seeing that and was confused. I personally thought Iowa was better than that and should of been able to beat UNI regardless of officiating.

Fran deserved to get tossed and actually that game and the wisky game he got tossed at the worst time. We used to have a joke that he would get Technicals at the worst time. Now it seems like he has cooled down. You do not see him lose his temper anymore (at least towards the officials). He lights up his players, which I think is okay. I remember hearing from someone at the game that Higgins (the ref) yelled towards the cops, "Get this clown off the floor right now" (he was talking about Fran).

Probably why Higgins has never worked another Iowa game (has he?)

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
The worst call I ever saw was the foul Jim Bain called on Kevin Boyle who was 20ft from the guy who Bain said he fouled.

Was Bain the guy who along with Higgins missed the most obvious travel in Big East History?? I can't remember who was playing but with like 3-4 seconds the kid caught the ball and ran w/it and then threw it out of bounds in the air. They just walked off the court like nothing happened.

Just cancel this thing already. We don't need to play UNI or Drake. Look at other state schools. Illinois only plays Northwestern in state. Michigan only plays MSU in state.

Iowa needs to do what's best for Iowa not what is best for UNI. Last time I checked what Iowa does is most important and charity does not count in our results.

There's a reason they want to play on their home floor even if the payout is as good from the nuetral site game. UNI is free to drop out altogether if it's such a bad deal.

Good post fellas and I've been saying this for a loooong time on these boards.

Yes....you can find a sprinkle here and there through the many, many years of BIG teams playing some in-state schools on their home cooking floor but nothing like the round robin of traveling every other year to ISU or places like UNI or Drake so like other B1G teams, you don't do it and Fran is cerebral enough to figure this out.....thank goodness.

The heck with taking those risks cause you don't need to and you won't find hardly any other BiG teams do this so why should IOWA?

I remember a few years back now when Duke didn't play on another team's home floor until the second week in January and I think it was FSU.......so be like Duke is my desire, follow their lead.....why not?

Man watching that is funny I am sorry. I miss the throw my hands up in the air McCabe. The guy was a fighter on the boards, but damn he would complain about everything. He would smoke a guys arm and he would act like he was innocent. After watching that there were maybe 5-7 calls that would be questionable. A lot of the offensive fouls you see Iowa players "lowering" their shoulders or putting their off arm out. The one on Gatens was odd and the one where he is running down the floor I remember seeing that and was confused. I personally thought Iowa was better than that and should of been able to beat UNI regardless of officiating.

Fran deserved to get tossed and actually that game and the wisky game he got tossed at the worst time. We used to have a joke that he would get Technicals at the worst time. Now it seems like he has cooled down. You do not see him lose his temper anymore (at least towards the officials). He lights up his players, which I think is okay. I remember hearing from someone at the game that Higgins (the ref) yelled towards the cops, "Get this clown off the floor right now" (he was talking about Fran).

Probably why Higgins has never worked another Iowa game (has he?)

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but It was one time where Iowa lowered their shoulder to get an offensive foul called. Definitely not "a lot". I saw Basabe come off a screen and a UNI player jump out in front of him for the offensive foul. I also saw a UNI player come into the feet of an Iowa player (Aaron White I believe) as he was beginning to drive for an offensive foul.

The one on McCabe was a complete flop as he received the pass and backed in. The post up foul on McCabe was also head scratching.

I don't believe Higgins has done another game since. It took a couple of years for Boroski to an Iowa game again. I was shocked he did the game yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: DenverTurtle
Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but It was one time where Iowa lowered their shoulder to get an offensive foul called. Definitely not "a lot". I saw Basabe come off a screen and a UNI player jump out in front of him for the offensive foul. I also saw a UNI player come into the feet of an Iowa player (Aaron White I believe) as he was beginning to drive for an offensive foul.

The one on McCabe was a complete flop as he received the pass and backed in. The post of foul on McCabe was also head scratching.

I don't believe Higgins has done another game since. It took a couple of years for Boroski to an Iowa game again. I was shocked he did the game yesterday.

I thank Fran and Bo have made their peace. You see them interact a lot during games. Now Paul Jansen & Higgins might be another story.

Boroski just looks like a sleeze bag. Can't stand him.

I will take him over arrogant Steratore any day. That guy just looks like he's a prick. Boroski must of had a health issue because 2-3 years ago he didn't officiate at all. Now he is back and he has been doing a lot of the preseason "big" games.

The worst call I ever saw was the foul Jim Bain called on Kevin Boyle who was 20ft from the guy who Bain said he fouled.

I remember Roy Marble getting his nose broken in Hawaii and no foul was called. I suppose that should count as the worst non-call I can remember.

Reactions: DavenportHawk8
Was Bain the guy who along with Higgins missed the most obvious travel in Big East History?? I can't remember who was playing but with like 3-4 seconds the kid caught the ball and ran w/it and then threw it out of bounds in the air. They just walked off the court like nothing happened.
Wow! I missed that one LOL.

These refs just work waaay to much. Higgins did the Nat Title game last year & was great. I don't particularly like him either but these guys can be top notch when they need to be. Hard to bring the focus & energy 5-7 days
a week.

These refs just work waaay to much. Higgins did the Nat Title game last year & was great. I don't particularly like him either but these guys can be top notch when they need to be. Hard to bring the focus & energy 5-7 days
a week.
I agree. Even Jim Bain ref'd another game after the Iowa game back then.

Wow! I missed that one LOL.

It was a few years ago in the Big East tournament. The kid caught the ball at half court and took like 3 steps and threw the ball up in the air. The game was like a 2-3pt ballgame and these guys just stood there. They all 3 walked off the floor.

Jay Bilas and all the ESPN guys were upset and talking how they needed to be suspended and that it was a total lack of effort by the officials. I will have to look it up on google and see if I can find it: FOUND IT, but its wasn't any of the above mention officials. Still pretty bad.

https://www.google.com/#safe=strict&q=Big+East+tournament+missed+travel+ending

The day I moved to Cedar Falls just before 8th grade the guidance counselor remarked about my Iowa Hawkeyes shirt that I would fit in quite well. It was true. Cedar Falls is a Hawkeye town. Even CFHS Head Football Coach Brad Remmert, a Panther and son of a Panther coach followed his heart and played for the Hawks before transferring home. Until Pierchbacher went South, every single Cedar Falls High School football player with an offer from U of Iowa accepted it going way back to Kittle's father Bruce and likely even before that. Everyone there really likes the Panthers but they LOVE the Iowa Hawkeyes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT