ADVERTISEMENT

The B1G should be embarrassed

LarryMullenJr.

HR Legend
Dec 7, 2011
Officiating in women’s ball is bad everywhere but my God those 3 tonight were absolutely horrid. And both teams benefited/got screwed by this crew. A pretty big game for the conference and these 3 should MAYBE do middle school games.
I can’t believe Lisa can restrain herself afterwards because it was just amazing how bad they were. Indiana played harder/better tonight and deserved to win but with the nation watching, put 3 with a clue on that game.

Last edited:
Officiating in women’s ball is bad everywhere but my God this 3 tonight were absolutely horrid. And both teams benefited/got screwed by this crew. A pretty big game for the conference and these 3 should MAYBE do middle school games.
I can’t believe Lisa can restrain herself afterwards because it was just amazing how bad they were. Indiana played harder/better tonight and deserved to win but with the nation watching, put 3 with a clue on that game.

You should see middle school officials...

You should see middle school officials...
Or small college officiating.

Honestly, you couldn't stack the f***s given by officials working middle school/non-varsity or JUCO/D2/D3/NAIA women's games.

The worst are the guys that act like they know everything and clearly blow a call and get aggressive when anyone raises so much as an eyebrow.

I've learned to laugh at them from the bench at this point, because they don't know how to react to that as well........

Officiating in women’s ball is bad everywhere but my God this 3 tonight were absolutely horrid. And both teams benefited/got screwed by this crew. A pretty big game for the conference and these 3 should MAYBE do middle school games.
I was at the game and officiating was like a 7th grade YMCA contest. Iowa shooting terrible from the 3 but officials did the Hawks no favors.

Hawks couldn't hit anything. Worst game by Caitlin this year. Team did not move and pass.
Indiana deserved to win. FWIW, most womens basketball refs are bad. I've learned to deal with it.
Agree on all counts. What I came away with, as disappointing as it was, it shows how good Caitlin is when her worst game is 24/10/10.

Atrocious officiating. Two different sets of rules in the 1Q and that set the tone. Knew they were F’d after 1 Q.

Same play contact happens on one side, no call, same play on the other end a foul. Repeatedly.

It’s a shame they can’t find decent crews for big games. Tenure must be a bitch in the officiating ranks. Can’t tell the average/shitty ones to move on.

Reactions: Moral
Yes, the officiating was beyond bad but that isn't the reason we lost. Teams are figuring out how to beat us by playing physical. We don't have any physical inside presence and beyond CC and KM, we're only average. No dribble penetration + no rebounding + CC being off tonight = a loss. You can call us a finesse team, but it's going to take physical play to even sniff the elite 8, let alone a B1G championship game. Lots to work on but the opportunity is there. Hard to believe we're probably the 3rd best team in the B1G.

I did. Ran house league and travel leagues for 10 years. My refs were better than these Big Ten refs, on either men’s or women’s sides.

Some are great, others are collecting a check, out of shape, looking for fights with 13 year old girls/ their coaches/ their parents and most importantly don't know the rules.

But I'm guessing we aren't in the same area of the state.

The 1st half was bad. Like Izzo Ball bad. The refs called a better game in the 4th once it was impossible for us to come back. There just wasn't any freedom of movement, they were doing tons of uncalled hand checking. Which if we had tried to do the same thing we would get called.

In this game, it maybe wouldn't have mattered because we missed so many free throws and layups (and they shot great, including a banked in 3). Was a bigger problem in the OSU/Nebraska games.

Last edited:
Yes, the officiating was beyond bad but that isn't the reason we lost. Teams are figuring out how to beat us by playing physical. We don't have any physical inside presence and beyond CC and KM, we're only average. No dribble penetration + no rebounding + CC being off tonight = a loss. You can call us a finesse team, but it's going to take physical play to even sniff the elite 8, let alone a B1G championship game. Lots to work on but the opportunity is there. Hard to believe we're probably the 3rd best team in the B1G.
LOl.. And we beat Indiana by twice as much on OUR floor. Don't over react...

Officials definitely let Indiana get away with a lot. Lisa's got to get an early T — partly to send a message to refs, partly to send a message to her team. You just have to get in the ear of the lead official and let them know that if this is how the game is going to be played, that her team is going to match physicality with physicality.

Refs at that point have a decision to make: clean it up ASAP, or risk the game getting really, really ugly.

Players at that point have a decision to make: match physicality, or keep being only on the receiving end.

There's one call that was an absolute killer, just an awful call. Iowa has cut it to 8. There's a little momentum, plus some actual game pressure is now sneaking in on Indiana. 3:40 or so to go. Indiana ball. Not much going on Indiana's possession, then Scalia decides to right hand drive on the right side. She just sort of throws her body into her defender — honestly can't remember who it was — Scalia had zero advantage, defender in pefectly legal position, defender didn't reach or do anything to bail Scalia out, Scalia flops, whistle. Scalia was about to force a bad shot, likely miss, Iowa had rebounding position. Whistle. Scalia makes 2, Indiana back up 10. I think Iowa doesn't score next possession, Indiana comes down and hits a 3, now up 13 with less than 3 mins to go.

Iowa gets a stop there and scores, 3 mins to go down 5 or 6? Now Indiana, for the first time all game, really, has very real game pressure.

Frustrating loss. But this is as clear a message as Iowa is going to get that they're going to have to figure out how to play against this type of thing.

Officials definitely let Indiana get away with a lot. Lisa's got to get an early T — partly to send a message to refs, partly to send a message to her team. You just have to get in the ear of the lead official and let them know that if this is how the game is going to be played, that her team is going to match physicality with physicality.

Refs at that point have a decision to make: clean it up ASAP, or risk the game getting really, really ugly.

Players at that point have a decision to make: match physicality, or keep being only on the receiving end.

There's one call that was an absolute killer, just an awful call. Iowa has cut it to 8. There's a little momentum, plus some actual game pressure is now sneaking in on Indiana. 3:40 or so to go. Indiana ball. Not much going on Indiana's possession, then Scalia decides to right hand drive on the right side. She just sort of throws her body into her defender — honestly can't remember who it was — Scalia had zero advantage, defender in pefectly legal position, defender didn't reach or do anything to bail Scalia out, Scalia flops, whistle. Scalia was about to force a bad shot, likely miss, Iowa had rebounding position. Whistle. Scalia makes 2, Indiana back up 10. I think Iowa doesn't score next possession, Indiana comes down and hits a 3, now up 13 with less than 3 mins to go.

Iowa gets a stop there and scores, 3 mins to go down 5 or 6? Now Indiana, for the first time all game, really, has very real game pressure.

Frustrating loss. But this is as clear a message as Iowa is going to get that they're going to have to figure out how to play against this type of thing.
i’ll trade this loss and an early exit from the BTT for a natty!

It’s hard to be certain watching from TV but most of those ‘blocks’ by Indiana, looked like hacks to me.
A different set of refs, or the game in a different place, and Holmes spends most of the game on the bench with foul trouble.

I hadn't noticed before, but just realized Garzon is 6'3" when the announcers pointed it out. Throw in Parrish at 6'2" and that's a lot of length.

Wouldn't an early T give Indiana more points? How does that help the cause? What message is she sending the refs that she wasn't probably already sending them? I understand there are varying schools of thought on this but I have never been a big proponent of just giving the other team opportunities to get extra scoring opportunities.

I see what you are saying on the physicality, but I don't think that Iowa can play that way. If you don't practice and play that way constantly you are just going to start racking up even more fouls if you try to do it mid-game. There is an art to playing defense physically and not getting called for it. It's not a thing you can just 'do' in the middle of a game.

Offensive players have gotten those kind of calls, where they just jump into the defender for a long time. If I would have scored on the following possession the game is right back to that point you were talking about. Lots of scoring opportunities missed by Iowa.

I can’t believe someone can get so worked up over womens basketball.
You know your men’s teams must not accomplish anything great when that happens.

Reactions: Clone2
Those 3 refs are always terrible. It was obvious who they wanted to win.

Last edited:
Playing that physical should lead to more fouls being called against the team that is being physical. Which there wasn't in this game. They were in the bonus and we had one foul against them.

Stuelke needs to learn how to head fake in the paint before shooting the inside shot so she can attempt to draw fouls against the defense. As soon as she receives the ball inside, she goes straight up allowing the defender to block her shot. I think it happened at least twice last night. Iowa has NO OTHER inside presence. The other girls try but they can't move or jump.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT