ADVERTISEMENT

The B1G should be embarrassed

It’s become pretty apparent the refs are just going to let whoever we’re playing be super physical. That’s the key to beating us and the officials are happy to let it happen. We haven’t adjusted, that’s on the team. It should be expected at this point! We’re built around CC, fast breaks and good 3pt shooting, not a physical slow it down and bang style.
Gabby being cold the majority of the season has been a killer, and it’s been poor Bluder hasn’t gotten Afolter, Feurbach and McCabe more time. I get letting Gabby try to shoot her way out of the slump, but would be nice if those other girls got a lot more experience through the season. Especially McCabe, imo.
Oh well, more games to come. Learn and move on!

Wouldn't an early T give Indiana more points? How does that help the cause? What message is she sending the refs that she wasn't probably already sending them? I understand there are varying schools of thought on this but I have never been a big proponent of just giving the other team opportunities to get extra scoring opportunities.

I see what you are saying on the physicality, but I don't think that Iowa can play that way. If you don't practice and play that way constantly you are just going to start racking up even more fouls if you try to do it mid-game. There is an art to playing defense physically and not getting called for it. It's not a thing you can just 'do' in the middle of a game.

Offensive players have gotten those kind of calls, where they just jump into the defender for a long time. If I would have scored on the following possession the game is right back to that point you were talking about. Lots of scoring opportunities missed by Iowa.
When a respected coach, especially one who almost never raises too much of a fuss over calls, "earns" themself a T, refs notice, and often adjust. And, as a former player, I can tell you that it definitely can help change the energy of a team. Again, especially if it's a coach who very very rarely gets Ts.

Sure, maybe you give up a few "free" points, but the net effect can easily outweigh that 2 (or even 5 if they get 3 on the extra possession).

Doesn't always work, but often does. There's a reason that TV producers track +/- stats after a coach gets a T. "Since coach got that T, they went on a 10-2 run…" for example.

When a respected coach, especially one who almost never raises too much of a fuss over calls, "earns" themself a T, refs notice, and often adjust. And, as a former player, I can tell you that it definitely can help change the energy of a team. Again, especially if it's a coach who very very rarely gets Ts.

Sure, maybe you give up a few "free" points, but the net effect can easily outweigh that 2 (or even 5 if they get 3 on the extra possession).

Doesn't always work, but often does. There's a reason that TV producers track +/- stats after a coach gets a T. "Since coach got that T, they went on a 10-2 run…" for example.

Do the refs notice? I mean obviously they notice the behavior, but do they change the way they are calling the game? If it’s a coach that rarely complains wouldn’t a bit of confrontation catch the ref’s attention? As I said, lots of opinions on this one. I’ve just never been in favor of that strategy.

It would be very interesting to track the ‘runs’ the first 5-10 minutes after a technical to see the overall theme. Maybe there is something out there. I’ll see what I can find

Officiating in women’s ball is bad everywhere but my God this 3 tonight were absolutely horrid. And both teams benefited/got screwed by this crew. A pretty big game for the conference and these 3 should MAYBE do middle school games.
I can’t believe Lisa can restrain herself afterwards because it was just amazing how bad they were. Indiana played harder/better tonight and deserved to win but with the nation watching, put 3 with a clue on that game.
Yeah, I have never seen so many blocks from a defender who is behind the shooter. I guess there was no contact but it sure locked like contact on half of those blocks.

Caitlin was getting handchecked a lot.

Bluder needs to run Clark through a 1000 screens if teams are going to start going to a box and 1 or totally full on glue defenses.

I thought the hawk offense was just off and IU is tall which bothered the Iowa shots. Caitlin and others got bodied a lot going to the rim.

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
Officiating is the same for everybody. Unless you have your Oliver Stone conspiracy starter kit out and the ncaa is anti Iowa.

Iowa got beat last night by an aggressive and physical team.

Iowa pissed away so many layups they deserved to lose. Add to that the sloppy passes and multiple air balls.

People like to say women’s basketball is more of a fundamental style of ball. That’s a load of crap, the missed layups the uncoordinated ball passing and out of control unforced errors is off the charts compared to men’s game. The women’s game is two dimensional (zero vertical aspect to game or serious athleticism).

Stop the cry baby crap and the refs and play better. If you are convinced the refs are out to “get Iowa” stop watching re sports and watch pro wrestling or cartoons.

Last edited:

Hey. I found something that is a highly entertaining read (sarcasm). But does talk about long and short term effects of a T. Take a look and I would appreciate your thoughts (meaning it’s not written for someone like me to understand it).

Reactions: Rocket_Fran
Officiating is the same for everybody. Unless you have your Oliver Stone conspiracy starter kit out and the ncaa is anti Iowa.

Iowa pissed away so many layups they deserved to lose. Add to that the sloppy passes and multiple air balls.

People like to say women’s basketball is more of a fundamental style of ball. That’s a load of crap, the missed layups the uncoordinated ball passing and control is off the charts compared to men’s game. The women’s game is two dimensional (zero vertical aspect to game or serious athleticism).

Stop the cry baby crap and the refs and play better. If you are convinced the refs are out to “get Iowa” stop watching re sports and watch pro wrestling or cartoons.
I didn't say they cost the Hawks the game, in fact I said that Indiana played better/harder and deserved to win. No argument there.
But the officiating was brutally bad AND our gals didn't play well AND Indiana did. Multiple things can be true at the same time.

People like to say women’s basketball is more of a fundamental style of ball. That’s a load of crap, the missed layups the uncoordinated ball passing and control is off the charts compared to men’s game. The women’s game is two dimensional (zero vertical aspect to game or serious athleticism).

Would definitely disagree with this. Refs seem to get sucked in with the momentum of the games and make calls accordingly. If 1 team is on a run and has the momentum they get more/the benefit of calls for some reason.
The rest of your post id agree with.

Reactions: herkhatescy
Yes, the officiating was beyond bad but that isn't the reason we lost. Teams are figuring out how to beat us by playing physical. We don't have any physical inside presence and beyond CC and KM, we're only average. No dribble penetration + no rebounding + CC being off tonight = a loss. You can call us a finesse team, but it's going to take physical play to even sniff the elite 8, let alone a B1G championship game. Lots to work on but the opportunity is there. Hard to believe we're probably the 3rd best team in the B1G.
This is exactly what I hate about men's basketball (specifically the Big Ten). So to beat a good "BASKETBALL" team, you have to play physical? Why can't basketball be about skill? Good passing, cuts to the hoop, good shooting, solid rebounding and fundamentals.

I am fine with good defense as well, but this is why I hate the argument that "it wasn't the refs fault." Sure Iowa shot like shit, but there was 0 freedom of movement. Why is basketball such a physical sport? The big ten is ruined in mens basketball and it's killed the Iowa men for years. Now they're just going to out physical Iowa women and Caitlain is going to struggle. Super FUN! The nation is just dying to watch her struggle and it's going to really take the sport up another notch.

This is exactly what I hate about men's basketball (specifically the Big Ten). So to beat a good "BASKETBALL" team, you have to play physical? Why can't basketball be about skill? Good passing, cuts to the hoop, good shooting, solid rebounding and fundamentals.

I am fine with good defense as well, but this is why I hate the argument that "it wasn't the refs fault." Sure Iowa shot like shit, but there was 0 freedom of movement. Why is basketball such a physical sport? The big ten is ruined in mens basketball and it's killed the Iowa men for years. Now they're just going to out physical Iowa women and Caitlain is going to struggle. Super FUN! The nation is just dying to watch her struggle and it's going to really take the sport up another notch.

So, you weren't a fan of the old Pistons, Knicks, Heat teams ?

Reactions: HawknBadgerLand

I don't like or agree with how last night's game was called either, but at the end of the day, good teams and good players take what the officials are giving them. I'm a realist and see this team for what it is: CC is a star and KM is great, but we're thin beyond that. We're soft on D, especially in the paint and on the perimeter. Teams are getting open looks at 3's and encounter no resistance inside. When we do slide over to cover, we're late and it's an easy blocking foul on us. MC leaving last year was a bigger hole to fill than we realize as we no longer have a legit 5.

We're still a great team and these women play their hearts out. That said, it's going to be a tall task for us to win the B1G or advance past the elite 8 in the NCAA with the deficiencies we have. Just the way I see it.

You make a number of solid points. Basketball isn't basketball anymore. When you can 'ass' your defender down to the block despite him/her being in legal defensive position, that's not basketball. When you can restrict the movement of the person you're defending with your hands/hips/etc. that's not basketball. As you pointed out, it used to be fundamentals, but has instead "evolved" into street ball. I don't blame the teams as they should do as much as they can do without being "penalized" (whistled) for it. But it would be fun to go back to what it once was.

Yes, I'm old.

I don't like or agree with how last night's game was called either, but at the end of the day, good teams and good players take what the officials are giving them. I'm a realist and see this team for what it is: CC is a star and KM is great, but we're thin beyond that. We're soft on D, especially in the paint and on the perimeter. Teams are getting open looks at 3's and encounter no resistance inside. When we do slide over to cover, we're late and it's an easy blocking foul on us. MC leaving last year was a bigger hole to fill than we realize as we no longer have a legit 5.

We're still a great team and these women play their hearts out. That said, it's going to be a tall task for us to win the B1G or advance past the elite 8 in the NCAA with the deficiencies we have. Just the way I see it.
You're right. Really missing MC about now.

Reactions: resultsads
Some are great, others are collecting a check, out of shape, looking for fights with 13 year old girls/ their coaches/ their parents and most importantly don't know the rules.

But I'm guessing we aren't in the same area of the state.
This was in Virginia back in the day.

Indiana was (is) undefeated at home. They’re a whole different team at home vs on the road. They’re big, athletic and physical. We’re not very big, certainly did not play physical last night and got our asses handed to us. It happens. If Indiana plays like that they’re a Final 4 caliber team. You also can’t get 2 baskets total from 2 starters in Marshall and Davis. Marshall has basically played an entire season like she did last night. She’s absolutely killing us, honestly on both ends of the floor. And if we’re not getting out in transition Molly will struggle as well. But it looks like Bluder is going to keep giving Gabby her 28-30 minutes. It’s not changing.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Indiana like Nebraska like Ohio st made HOME games against Iowa their MUST win game of the season. You can tell there is a lot of pent up jealousies and anomisity towards CC and Iowa that saw the light. They are backed by frenzied fans packing the place...including sardine seating right on top of the courtside where fans are within inches of players at times making all kinds of gestures and taunts (a few single finger salutes towards college women players....really?....low IQ morons)

CC is amazing just for enduring some of this garbage,.,,,the girl guarding her last night was their designated CC thug...to paw, jab, poke and handcheck her constantly...but
CC also is like a magnet for it due to her ref whining and emotional outbursts. BTW Holmes did try to kick her there after the ball scrum....good for CC to dive into her for the ball...about time a Hawkeye doe what other teams have been dong all year....and it takes CC (SA also does it too sometimes).

So that is probably the last time this year Hawks will face an entire crowd packed and frenzied against them like that...since the rest of the big game are at home or neutral sites. So thats one thing to hang your hat on...and stop acting like the sky is falling.

Also, can people stop with the "Marshall find her way out of slump....goes deeper than that. She is average at best on defense, a non rebounder, non play maker, and passive energy most of the game. I realize she is part of the clique that every one likes...but its obvious change is needed.
Keep hoping the lineup gets shuffled and Stuelke is moved to 4 and the 5 is a committe of the other bigs. and /or SA is moved into Marshall's spot as well.

Let's not forget Iowa is the only team (of top tier) that has to play all the other top teams twice...and thus they don't even play once some teams at bottom. Big10 scheduled this for most like revenue reasons...but maybe other reasons as well.

Indiana like Nebraska like Ohio st made HOME games against Iowa their MUST win game of the season. You can tell there is a lot of pent up jealousies and anomisity towards CC and Iowa that saw the light. They are backed by frenzied fans packing the place...including sardine seating right on top of the courtside where fans are within inches of players at times making all kinds of gestures and taunts (a few single finger salutes towards college women players....really?....low IQ morons)

CC is amazing just for enduring some of this garbage,.,,,the girl guarding her last night was their designated CC thug...to paw, jab, poke and handcheck her constantly...but
CC also is like a magnet for it due to her ref whining and emotional outbursts. BTW Holmes did try to kick her there after the ball scrum....good for CC to dive into her for the ball...about time a Hawkeye doe what other teams have been dong all year....and it takes CC (SA also does it too sometimes).

So that is probably the last time this year Hawks will face an entire crowd packed and frenzied against them like that...since the rest of the big game are at home or neutral sites. So thats one thing to hang your hat on...and stop acting like the sky is falling.

Also, can people stop with the "Marshall find her way out of slump....goes deeper than that. She is average at best on defense, a non rebounder, non play maker, and passive energy most of the game. I realize she is part of the clique that every one likes...but its obvious change is needed.
Keep hoping the lineup gets shuffled and Stuelke is moved to 4 and the 5 is a committe of the other bigs. and /or SA is moved into Marshall's spot as well.

Let's not forget Iowa is the only team (of top tier) that has to play all the other top teams twice...and thus they don't even play once some teams at bottom. Big10 scheduled this for most like revenue reasons...but maybe other reasons as well.
Loved seeing Syd fling Bloomington Barbie down when they were both fighting for the jump ball. We need more of that attitude! Now I am NOT saying I want to see our gals play dirty but just more of that energy that Syd brings.

It’s become pretty apparent the refs are just going to let whoever we’re playing be super physical. That’s the key to beating us and the officials are happy to let it happen. We haven’t adjusted, that’s on the team. It should be expected at this point! We’re built around CC, fast breaks and good 3pt shooting, not a physical slow it down and bang style.
Gabby being cold the majority of the season has been a killer, and it’s been poor Bluder hasn’t gotten Afolter, Feurbach and McCabe more time. I get letting Gabby try to shoot her way out of the slump, but would be nice if those other girls got a lot more experience through the season. Especially McCabe, imo.
Oh well, more games to come. Learn and move on!
It’s the end of the season. Gabbie hasn’t been a threat from 3 in like 20+ games

I agree with everything in your post, Larry. I don't know if they are capable of calling a game consistently on both sides, or if they just don't want to. Either way, it's not a good look when you finally have eyes on the woman's basketball. Last years championship game, had a lot of folks watching a terribly officiated game. Even though LSU played better, and earned the victory, the refs left much to be desired.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Open your eyes. It's a terrible thing to go through life with blinders on.
Those 3 refs are always terrible. It was obvious who they wanted to win.
I can more accurately describe a basketball game than you with my eyes closed.

So if those 3 refs are always terrible, could it be that they simply were terrible again?

Or are they always terrible for the purpose of favoring a certain team. If so, I would promise you that crew would have been investigated by now.

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. Especially if you take motive into account. If the powers that be wanted anyone to win that game it would have been Iowa

Reactions: littlez
I can more accurately describe a basketball game than you with my eyes closed.

So if those 3 refs are always terrible, could it be that they simply were terrible again?

Or are they always terrible for the purpose of favoring a certain team. If so, I would promise you that crew would have been investigated by now.

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. Especially if you take motive into account. If the powers that be wanted anyone to win that game it would have been Iowa
You're as dumb as they come.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT