ADVERTISEMENT

The Creaning begins in Syracuse

wyohawk

HB Heisman
Jan 8, 2009
Syracuse sophomores B.J. Johnson and Ron Patterson are leaving the program and will look to transfer, multiple sources confirmed to ESPN.
Johnson, a 6-foot-7 forward, averaged 4.2 points and 3.2 rebounds this past season. Patterson, a 6-2 guard, averaged 2.6 points and 1.7 assists.
Patterson originally signed with Indiana out of high school, but decided to do a post-grad year at Brewster Academy (N.H.) before heading to Syracuse.Patterson's AAU coach, Chris Hawkins, said the Indianapolis native would possibly look to move to a school closer to home.
The transfers come one day after Syracuse announced its athletic director was being reassigned and coach Jim Boeheim was retiring in three years.

During a news conference Thursday, Boeheim expressed hope that assistant coach -- and presumed coach-in-waiting -- Mike Hopkins would be his replacement. However, Boeheim also said the decision on Syracuse's next head coach was out of his hands.
Among other NCAA punishments, Syracuse was hit with scholarship reductions earlier this month.
The Orange can only use 10 scholarships per year for a four-year period. Prior to the transfers, Syracuse had 11 players scheduled to be under scholarship in the 2016-17 season. The departures of Johnson and Patterson now could enable the Orange to recruit another player in the current junior class.

Link

thread title borders on idiocy. players are going to to lose their scholarship, what else are they supposed to do. play without a scholarship?

Nice that the NCAA decided to let Syracuse "self-ban" themselves from the NCAA's this year, when they likely would not have been invited anyway, but allow them to participate in the future. And I'm still waiting for the punishment they are going to levy against UNC and poor clueless Roy Williams.

Originally posted by Ronman:
Nice that the NCAA decided to let Syracuse "self-ban" themselves from the NCAA's this year, when they likely would not have been invited anyway, but allow them to participate in the future. And I'm still waiting for the punishment they are going to levy against UNC and poor clueless Roy Williams.
Didn't the NCAA already let UNC off the hook saying it was an "academic" issue not under their jurisdiction? Never mind the players kept eligible by bogus means.

Patterson has really had trouble finding a college home. Indiana denied him admission just prior to the start of the school year, forcing him into prep school, then Syracuse ends up having to reduce scholarships, and he's looking for a new home again.

Originally posted by Ronman:
I agree with you Ronman, the NCAA not delving into the Tar Holes academic problems is a farce. It seems to me that the Tar Holes situation shows all the signs of a lack of institutional control.

This post was edited on 3/20 12:41 PM by MTHawkeyes43

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT