ADVERTISEMENT

The D was exposed.

Yeah, I think this was the most disappointing part of the loss for me. I didn’t expect fireworks from the offense (although I also didn’t expect such a complete collapse in the second half), but I figured we could rely on the defense more. Very disappointing that we got very little pressure up front. Becht had plenty of time to throw almost every drop back. I think this was ultimately, a huge key, and probably relatively overlooked.

Offense has the ball with under 2 minutes in the 4th quarter and telegraphs what it is going to do. Ironically the guy with the lifetime contract had been trying to run out the clock since the 3rd quarter, and when it finally made sense to do it ... he couldn't.
Bizarre he had a front row seat to Fry's "exotics" for years and never learned a damn thing about offense.

The defense cannot be expected to win every game. I have stated REPEATEDLY the past several years there are going to be times when the offense will need to score points to put a game out of reach, or to pick up a couple of first downs to run out the clock. Iowa failed at both yesterday.

The Hawks have no passing game. They are playing every game with one hand tied behind their back. That may have worked with a weak Big 10 West, but won’t going forward. Starting next year Iowa’s schedule gets significantly more difficult, and they lose a TON of starters.

Offense has the ball with under 2 minutes in the 4th quarter and telegraphs what it is going to do. Ironically the guy with the lifetime contract had been trying to run out the clock since the 3rd quarter, and when it finally made sense to do it ... he couldn't.
Bizarre he had a front row seat to Fry's "exotics" for years and never learned a damn thing about offense.
I too wish he would have tried to get the first down there rather than just blow it into the line--try some kind of play action with something in the flat that is still safe to run and gives you a chance rather than giving up--then he gives them 5 more yards letting the closk expire--why not call a time out and save it and then worst case they start at the 20 if not deeper on the last drive.

Kirk acted like he was still watching the game from his couch---

Reactions: Champ_Kind_whammy
Iowa's D is not why this team lost. Did you shrug your shoulders when I got stuffed first and goal inside the 5 yard line twice? Did you shrug your shoulders when cade threw his pick in 3rd? Did you shrug your shoulders when Iowa had the ball and was up with 2 minutes left?
while I was disappointed that Iowa’s D allowed ISU to get field position for a FG in the final drive, I 100% agree that Iowa’s failure to reach the end zone with two golden opportunities of 1st and goal inside the 10 cost the Hawks victory. There was bad execution on a couple of big ISU plays but I won’t blame the defense for the loss

I believe it is likely that this game - 20 points - will be ISU’s lowest scoring game of the season. The main problem is this: Iowa wasn’t able to score more than 19 points at home against a depleted State defense.

Still a lot to play for. Concerning the O couldn't get it punched into the endzone. QB sneak was good to get the 1st down.
I'm gonna rematch our plays inside the 5 to see where we f***ed up.

I also wanna give my take on Phil's defense when teams figure him out, but I'm on the road right now.

A couple of things that stood out to me was eventually you knew someone was going to hit those big plays against the Iowa D. ISU was sitting on routes all day and on the 75 yard TD the ISU WR blazed right past Higgins and X. I'll have to go back and watch the game but the 50 yard completion to set up the game winner seemed alot like the 75 yarder.

Also, Rhys the punter can't pooch that punt in the 4th quarter. He may as well have kicked it out of the endzone. ISU would have started at the 20 instead of the 22.

The biggest concern for me with the defense preseason was a consistent pass rush. Besides that the defense is good. They did enough to win. They held a Good QB and a really good WR tandem to 20 points. Again the offense let them down.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Iowa's D is not why this team lost. Did you shrug your shoulders when I got stuffed first and goal inside the 5 yard line twice? Did you shrug your shoulders when cade threw his pick in 3rd? Did you shrug your shoulders when Iowa had the ball and was up with 2 minutes left?

Getting stuff implies running the ball inside the 3. Something we didn't even try.

The biggest concern for me with the defense preseason was a consistent pass rush. Besides that the defense is good. They did enough to win. They held a Good QB and a really good WR tandem to 20 points. Again the offense let them down.
We should win every single game when the opponent scores 20 or less.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
It's been a concern, but yesterday proves that our DLine isn't very good. Graves and Black are only OK, and we never get enough pressure on the QB. I know there are some who won't like to hear that, but it's true. Iose can't get here soon enough.

Mental errors are fixable. Last year the defense was basically perfect. This year, not so much and it cost them a game. They shouldn't have to be perfect though. The offense should give them a few bad plays but they don't.

Reactions: Torg
The defense cannot be expected to win every game. I have stated REPEATEDLY the past several years there are going to be times when the offense will need to score points to put a game out of reach, or to pick up a couple of first downs to run out the clock. Iowa failed at both yesterday.

The Hawks have no passing game. They are playing every game with one hand tied behind their back. That may have worked with a weak Big 10 West, but won’t going forward. Starting next year Iowa’s schedule gets significantly more difficult, and they lose a TON of starters.
Agree

We’ve been so conditioned to the offense not being part of the program that if Iowa were to lose 3-0, fans would blame the defense

The 75 yard TD pass reminded me of the deep pass we gave up at Nebraska last year. Both passes were right on the money, which is disturbing given that even if we had a guy that open, the most recent Iowa QB that I’m confident would hit the WR in stride played nearly 10 years ago.

Yeah, I think this was the most disappointing part of the loss for me. I didn’t expect fireworks from the offense (although I also didn’t expect such a complete collapse in the second half), but I figured we could rely on the defense more. Very disappointing that we got very little pressure up front. Becht had plenty of time to throw almost every drop back. I think this was ultimately, a huge key, and probably relatively overlooked.

Iowa had won this game over the years by winning at the LOS; we did in the first half, but not in the second.

I don't think the predictability helped on the offensive side, as they loaded up to stop the run on early downs and we tried to run right into it, but to my surprise their OL really held up well vs our DL and was a critical part of the win for ISU.

This, our O-line did an excellent job, we went over 200 yards. But it is very difficult to beat a solid team when you have no passing game. Cade was well below average Saturday. That being said, the defense gave up a 75 yard touchdown pass where the guy was wide open. They also couldn’t keep keep isu on their side of the 50 for 30 seconds. Our secondary and pass rush were disappointing.

Reactions: sober_teacher

This brings up a good point. Would this be a season that Kirk retires after it's done?

• Haha
Reactions: eyesofhawk
A couple of things that stood out to me was eventually you knew someone was going to hit those big plays against the Iowa D. ISU was sitting on routes all day and on the 75 yard TD the ISU WR blazed right past Higgins and X. I'll have to go back and watch the game but the 50 yard completion to set up the game winner seemed alot like the 75 yarder.

Also, Rhys the punter can't pooch that punt in the 4th quarter. He may as well have kicked it out of the endzone. ISU would have started at the 20 instead of the 22.

Obviously we left points on the field, had a key INT at the worst time and couldn’t muster a first down to close it out. But that last drive was inexcusable.

Mental errors are fixable. Last year the defense was basically perfect. This year, not so much and it cost them a game. They shouldn't have to be perfect though. The offense should give them a few bad plays but they don't.
They weren't perfect last year either, against really good teams, so if were talking elite, then no.

Reactions: 93hawkeye

I don’t think he pooched it. He just doesn’t kick it that far

Agreed. ^^ Many loyal Iowa fans have been lulled to sleep with victories due primarily to better special teams play and superior defense. As long as the offense is this anemic, one has to expect some otherwise disappointing losses like this one.

95% of Iowa's problems are offense related, not defense or ST.

This brings up a good point. Would this be a season that Kirk retires after it's done?
Personally, I thought he should have retired after beating USC. Go out with a bang. It was never going to get any better than that.

Should the Hawks manage to win 10 games and a bowl game this year, it would be the perfect time for Kirk to step away. Next year the schedule gets tougher and the Hawks lose a ton of starters. The defense will likely take a step backwards for that reason. The offense will have to take up the slack and (given the past several years), I don’t have the confidence that Kirk is capable….or even willing…to do that.

It will be interesting to see how things play out.

you hold a P5 team to 20 points you should expect to win the game. This is CFB not the NFL.
Couldn't agree more. There isn't a defense on the planet that doesn't give up points and yet on those very few occasions where Iowa doesn't hold the opponent to less than 20 points people are thinking the defense was a weakness. The offense was comatose for the majority of the game and failed to score 20 points in a game where they had 3 first downs inside the 5 yard line. They couldn't manage more than 1 first down in the 4th quarter to salt this one away. Unbelievable.

Particularly X.
So overrated. Can never cover any team with just a decent qb and some O talent. Never have never will with that awful scheme, the saftey's play back 40 yds and are completely useless. Never in on any tackles cannot cover anyone. Throw in the 15 yd cushion the corners play to not get beat deep, its just a joke.
But good job selling it to the media. They fell for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT