ADVERTISEMENT

The D was exposed.

I've said it for two years that I've never been all that impressed with X. His hips aren't all that great nor is his overall speed. I think they should have moved him to WR. I think he looks more like a natural WR than a DB.
Both saftey's wouldn't start at Drake.
Last year against teams with very good personnel, our D was exposed, too.
The stats and eyeballs lied last year cuz we played in the B10 west.
There you have it.

The 75 yard TD pass reminded me of the deep pass we gave up at Nebraska last year. Both passes were right on the money, which is disturbing given that even if we had a guy that open, the most recent Iowa QB that I’m confident would hit the WR in stride played nearly 10 years ago.
If South Dakota St hits on their bomb, we lose. Think about that losing at home to South Dakota St.

• Haha
Reactions: eyesofhawk
I will say I expected more sacks than we got. Miss Joe Evans being on an end. He would have had at least 3.
Definitely, I don’t think it is unfair to say that our pass rush wasn’t very good Saturday. And Phil didn’t do anything to help the D-line get pressure in the 2nd half. The first half Becht got rid of the ball quickly because he was feeling some pressure and he wasn’t completing many passes. In the second half he had plenty of time to scan the field and he was much more accurate. The long completion right before the game winning FG was inexcusable, coverage was way too soft.

Particularly X.

I think we were expecting to pressure the qb and we did not get a lot of pressure.

We had a coverage bust and that is about it. The defense got a great 3 and out to start the 2nd half but that INT by Cade got ISU out from near their goal line.

That was the turning point because right before the INT we got the ball about the 45 yard line. Gain even 9 yards and Stevens bangs thru another FG or maybe we get a TD to ice it.

And on ISU's first TD our corner Hall I think had the ball in his hands for an INT but it got taken from him.

Really a lot of l plays went to isu after the first cade INT

Reactions: jonesy5960
So overrated. Can never cover any team with just a decent qb and some O talent. Never have never will with that awful scheme, the saftey's play back 40 yds and are completely useless. Never in on any tackles cannot cover anyone. Throw in the 15 yd cushion the corners play to not get beat deep, its just a joke.
But good job selling it to the media. They fell for it.
Quinn Schulte is a safety. He was 4th on the team with 65 tackles. Nwankpa had 42 tackles with a broken hand half the season. Stellar analysis though.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Personally, I thought he should have retired after beating USC. Go out with a bang. It was never going to get any better than that.

Should the Hawks manage to win 10 games and a bowl game this year, it would be the perfect time for Kirk to step away. Next year the schedule gets tougher and the Hawks lose a ton of starters. The defense will likely take a step backwards for that reason. The offense will have to take up the slack and (given the past several years), I don’t have the confidence that Kirk is capable….or even willing…to do that.

It will be interesting to see how things play out.
Iowa was 9-3 in the regular season, without an appearance in the conference championship, the year they beat USC.

They've since twice made the conference championship with 10-2 regular seasons.

It HAS gotten better than the USC season. TWICE. What on earth are you talking about?

• Haha
Reactions: AEG82 and 83Hawk
I think we were expecting to pressure the qb and we did not get a lot of pressure.

We had a coverage bust and that is about it. The defense got a great 3 and out to start the 2nd half but that INT by Cade got ISU out from near their goal line.

That was the turning point because right before the INT we got the ball about the 45 yard line. Gain even 9 yards and Stevens bangs thru another FG or maybe we get a TD to ice it.

And on ISU's first TD our corner Hall I think had the ball in his hands for an INT but it got taken from him.

Really a lot of l plays went to isu after the first cade INT
How many play backs in film session do you think the Hall play and X play were shown?

The 75 yard TD pass reminded me of the deep pass we gave up at Nebraska last year. Both passes were right on the money, which is disturbing given that even if we had a guy that open, the most recent Iowa QB that I’m confident would hit the WR in stride played nearly 10 years ago.
This game reminded me of the first Bowl game against Kentucky. We had a 17-12 lead with the ball and about 4 minutes left. As usual we played conservative relying on the defense to win. Just went 3 and out and punted. Kentucky gets a long pass play from Levis to Wandale Robison which turned the game on us. We always rely on the defense to win the game and once and awhile the other team makes a play to beat us. If the offense gets a first down we win.

Something was exposed on Saturday ...

... it wasn't the D

Iowa was 9-3 in the regular season, without an appearance in the conference championship, the year they beat USC.

It HAS gotten better than the USC season. TWICE. What on earth are you talking about?
Nonsense. They finished out both the 2021 and 2023 seasons with 2 losses: blowout losses in both championship games, a 3 point loss in the 2021 bowl game and a humiliating loss against a depleted team led by a true freshman in 2023.

Badly beating a blue blood in the 2019 bowl to finish 10-3 is not only a better end to a season than I outlined above (in my opinion) but 10-3 is also statistically better than 10-4. I know *I* was much more satisfied with the 2019 season than 2021 or 2023.

Iowa finished 2019 ranked #15. #23 in 2021, 22/24 in 2023. The 3 losses in 2019 were to top 20 teams by a combined total of 14 points. The 4 2021 losses were by a combined 76 points and 2 of the opponents were unranked. Iowa lost 4 games by a combined 94 points in 2023, 1 opponent was unranked. The Hawks failed to score a point in 3 of those losses.

What on earth are YOU talking about?

Last edited:
you hold a P5 team to 20 points you should expect to win the game. This is CFB not the NFL.

ISU should've ended the game with about 6 points. The D screwed up badly like 6 times, from the safety not being a safety, to kicking a fumble out of bounds, to trying intercept a pass from a stronger receiver, to giving up mutliple sideline catches in a no sideline situation.

ISU should've ended the game with about 6 points. The D screwed up badly like 6 times, from the safety not being a safety, to kicking a fumble out of bounds, to trying intercept a pass from a stronger receiver, to giving up mutliple sideline catches in a no sideline situation.
OK. do the same for the offense now. how many times did they screw up? was it 6 times or more? was it 6 times alone first and goal under 6 yards? I hate to do that since they have been so dependable unlike the defense.

Blaming the defense for losing that game is F laughable. Scoring 19 points with the opportunities they had is even more laughable.

JFC.

ISU will score more than 20 points in every game they play here on out. Book it. It's the same shit every year. The defense didn't bail him out this year. Figure out how to score more points so the they don't have to. every game. like most teams.

or keep trying to win games 17-14 because that is how all of the CFB playoff teams do it.

Last edited:
Definitely, I don’t think it is unfair to say that our pass rush wasn’t very good Saturday. And Phil didn’t do anything to help the D-line get pressure in the 2nd half. The first half Becht got rid of the ball quickly because he was feeling some pressure and he wasn’t completing many passes. In the second half he had plenty of time to scan the field and he was much more accurate. The long completion right before the game winning FG was inexcusable, coverage was way too soft.
It actually wasn't soft enough. Got beat in man coverage with a wheel route

• Haha
Reactions: AEG82
Is this serious? A fumble going out of bounds is screwing up badly? Being in perfect interception position with the ball in your hands before the receiver makes an incredible play by wrenching it away while falling out of bounds is screwing up badly? These aren't screw ups. There were 2 blg secondary mistakes made in the second half, but these weren't some of them.

Phil runs the defense.
Of course Parker made the call. It was a rhetorical question.

Phil might make a bad defensive decision or a defender might make a mistake. Our collective expectations of what the defense is capable of doing exceeds what they actually are.

The coaching staff should realize that and plan accordingly.

This is gibberish. It makes no sense. What does a softer than soft defense look like?
Gosh, I apologize. I could tell you were angry. But never actually realized that you were slow (at least football-wise) until now.

The comment was made that Iowa's defense was too soft vs ISU's long gain on their last drive. This implies that Iowa gave too big of a cushion for the ball to be completed underneath their zone (as has been known to happen). But what actually happened is the defender in man coverage got beat over the top with a wheel route. Thus zone coverage, even with a cushion would have resulted in a shorter gain (theoretically of course, as a wheel route would not have been run against zone coverage).

My bad. I will be more patient with you from now on as long as you don't impose your uninformed opinions

Gosh, I apologize. I could tell you were angry. But never actually realized that you were slow (at least football-wise) until now.

The comment was made that Iowa's defense was too soft vs ISU's long gain on their last drive. This implies that Iowa gave too big of a cushion for the ball to be completed underneath their zone (as has been known to happen). But what actually happened is the defender in man coverage got beat over the top with a wheel route. Thus zone coverage, even with a cushion would have resulted in a shorter gain (theoretically of course, as a wheel route would not have been run against zone coverage).

My bad. I will be more patient with you from now on as long as you don't impose your uninformed opinions
I get it. You're talking about that ultra Charmin soft defense aren't you.

• Haha
Reactions: eyesofhawk
Only two teams put up more yards on Iowa last year than ISU did this past Saturday. 1) Tennessee with 383 in the bowl game; 2) Penn State with 397.

It’s overstating imo to say the D got exposed. They made a number of uncharacteristic mistakes/penalties. DL simply has to get more pressure than they got after the first quarter.

And who knows?this defense might simply be “just” good or very good. We’ve gotten spoiled by them the last few years.

It’s overstating imo to say the D got exposed. They made a number of uncharacteristic mistakes/penalties. DL simply has to get more pressure than they got after the first quarter.

And who knows?this defense might simply be “just” good or very good. We’ve gotten spoiled by them the last few years.
Concurred and they're still very good. They built up plenty of goodwill and benefit of doubt over the last decade to warrant that. Defense isn't our problem IMO. The defense can't be perfect every game. Even after the defense got "exposed" this game, we were still in position to win with relative ease. It's pretty damn rare people ever question our defense in my experience.

Concurred and they're still very good. They built up plenty of goodwill and benefit of doubt over the last decade to warrant that. Defense isn't our problem IMO. The defense can't be perfect every game. Even after the defense got "exposed" this game, we were still in position to win with relative ease. It's pretty damn rare people ever question our defense in my experience.
Conversely, the ISU defense held the IA offense to less yards in the 2nd half than the IA defense did the ISU offense in the first half. It was a truly strange statistical day. ISU had so many shoot-themselves-in-the-foot penalties in the first half (I believe part of that should be credited to the Iowa crowd for the noise intimidation factor), yet two of Iowa's penalties (roughing the kicker and the passer) impacted possessions.

This game reminded me of the first Bowl game against Kentucky. We had a 17-12 lead with the ball and about 4 minutes left. As usual we played conservative relying on the defense to win. Just went 3 and out and punted. Kentucky gets a long pass play from Levis to Wandale Robison which turned the game on us. We always rely on the defense to win the game and once and awhile the other team makes a play to beat us. If the offense gets a first down we win.
And Minnesota last year. Couldn't score more than 10 points or pick up 20 yards to kick a winning field goal. Like Saturday, I think they had 1 or zero 4th quarter 1st downs. At some point the ****ing offense needs to do something, anything to win a game.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Conversely, the ISU defense held the IA offense to less yards in the 2nd half than the IA defense did the ISU offense in the first half. It was a truly strange statistical day. ISU had so many shoot-themselves-in-the-foot penalties in the first half (I believe part of that should be credited to the Iowa crowd for the noise intimidation factor), yet two of Iowa's penalties (roughing the kicker and the passer) impacted possessions.
What killed me about both penalties - they were technically correct, but Higgins was attempting to hold up, and the special teams guy was just running thru and couldn’t avoid the punter at that point. Both were stupid.

This was a team loss. None of it looked good. Can't get it in with 4 tries?? Give up a 75 yard td?? Can't figure out that a fade pass has a little more air under it? Can't hit a wide open wr in the middle of the field? The list goes on and on. It was a shit show is what it was. Probably the worst half of football the team as a whole has played in a very long time. It is what it is. Stuff happens, live and learn.

In all realness, you guys showed great resilience and deserved to win regardless of why I feel it occurred. Doesn't matter because only the final score is important. Sorry for being snarky with you in my first response to you.

Schedule been a savior. Real teams destroy the Hawks ,0-91 last year vs teams with a pulse. Not even competitive. USC fired that coach for losing to Iowa. They have a real coach now. It will get real ugly playing those teams. First trip to Oregon will be a sprint to the end zone for those Quacks. Biggest cheaters in football, now that Saban quit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT