ADVERTISEMENT

The DMRs 5 best places to drink in IC

Damn...I live just outside of town and I only know of one of those spots. Obviously, I don't get out in the ol college town much anymore, although it would still just be Joe's, The Deadwood, or the basement bar at Birch (The Atlas).

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
Damn...I live just outside of town and I only know of one of those spots. Obviously, I don't get out in the ol college town much anymore, although it would still just be Joe's, The Deadwood, or the basement bar at Birch (The Atlas).

Brix (if you drink wine) and The Greenhouse (if you like random cocktails) are worth visits.

Pro tip: sit outside in the open seating on Northside and get a bottle of wine self service at Brix for the off the shelf price. You can open it and drink it at your leisure. Don’t forget to bring your own glasses if you don’t plan to paper bag hobo it.

Reactions: Torg and gojojo
This list made me chuckle because the first four places are where tBW and her gal friends go for cocktails on a girls night out. Great list if you’re a late 50s early 60s woman, except for Deadwood of course which is an Iowa City institution.

Reactions: lucas80
Unpopular take.

The Deadwood is only still around because of nostalgia and it’s “cool” to say you like it. They don’t even try anymore. Post smoking ban, there’s nothing interesting about the place.

I’m ready for Fight Bar.

Unpopular take.

The Deadwood is only still around because of nostalgia and it’s “cool” to say you like it. They don’t even try anymore. Post smoking ban, there’s nothing interesting about the place.

I’m ready for Fight Bar.
Loser GIF by Playboy Fragrances

Four of those places suck balls. I spent an hour at the fine IC drinking establishment Shakespeare's this evening and there is no way the top four places listed are better than Shakes. I'm only moderately surprised The Vue wasn't #1
Chart Room is in Coralville (unless they opened one in IC). Been a few times, they make and excellent Old Fashioned.

Reactions: bdg8
Brix (if you drink wine) and The Greenhouse (if you like random cocktails) are worth visits.

Pro tip: sit outside in the open seating on Northside and get a bottle of wine self service at Brix for the off the shelf price. You can open it and drink it at your leisure. Don’t forget to bring your own glasses if you don’t plan to paper bag hobo it.
I worked with the owner of Greenhouse for a while. That woman busts her ass. I like Greenhouse a lot.

My top 5 down town bars would be:
Micky's
BoJames
Joe's Place
Dublin
Vine

I still need to get to Sanctuary, Job Site and Shakespeare's and Fox Head. On my list to hit by the end of the year.

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
Getting stoned and watching The Simpsons at The Deadwood was the best back in the day /csb

Only been in IC a year and my wife (no pic) and I get in a Friday evening routine. Also live on the westside so its easier to swing by Coaches or Wig.
Coaches has a solid pre and post basketball environment, and a it's a decent mid week burger option. The wings are quite good.

Micky's
BoJames
Joe's Place
Dublin
Vine

I still need to get to Sanctuary, Job Site and Shakespeare's and Fox Head. On my list to hit by the end of the year.

If we're counting The Vine as a DT bar you would have to include Big Grove since it's only a few blocks south of The Vine.

We lived at The Vine in 1996-97...Thursday steins and dozen for $2 each, Friday happy hour 2 for 1 Long Islands and Sunday NFL ticket. I visited last year and it looks like not a single upgrade has been made in almost 30 years. I'm not sure I'd eat anything made in there. The food there was always pretty average and wings are pretty overrated, small but tasty.

Imo, Shakespeare's was the best towny bar for food. I haven't had anything there that isn't great bar food...burgers, tenderloin, breaded wings...all fantastic.

Reactions: VodkaSam and torbee
Micky's
BoJames
Joe's Place
Dublin
Vine

A pretty good Top 5 K4P.

I'd knock out BoJames and add George's. Not real exciting but as a guy who lived on Linn Street it was always our last drink (or 3) on the way home (often after hours). Also dug The Sanctuary though it was a long stumble home...some great music.

The Deadwood is a classic. You could buy most anything in those booths in the 80s, it was the farmer's market of contraband.

Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT