ADVERTISEMENT

The Elite College Students Who Can’t Read Books

For the most part, I found literary ‘’masterpieces” that you’re forced to read in school boring as phuck. It’s like being forced to watch all the movies that the film critics try to tell us are good. I thought I hated reading growing up. Turns out I hated the shit material.

Reactions: Dr. Phil Seuss
That reading centuries old works of literature won’t get you very far in this world.
The great thing about America is one can be successful while being an idiot or well read and educated, one just has to decide how they want to go through life.

For the most part, I found literary ‘’masterpieces” that you’re forced to read in school boring as phuck. It’s like being forced to watch all the movies that the film critics try to tell us are good. I thought I hated reading growing up. Turns out I hated the shit material.
“He never could go after even a turnip-cart but he must have the swords and guns all scoured up for it, though they was only lath and broomsticks, and you might scour at them till you rotted, and then they warn't worth a mouthful of ashes more than what they was before. I didn't believe we could lick such a crowd of Spaniards and A-rabs, but I wanted to see the camels and elephants, so I was on hand next day, Saturday, in the ambuscade; and when we got the word we rushed out of the woods and down the hill. But there warn't no Spaniards and A-rabs, and there warn't no camels nor no elephants.

It warn't anything but a Sunday-school picnic, and only a primer class at that. We busted it up, and chased the children up the hollow; but we never got anything but some doughnuts and jam, though Ben Rogers got a rag doll, and Joe Harper got a hymn-book and a tract; and then the teacher charged in, and made us drop everything and cut. I didn't see no di'monds, and I told Tom Sawyer so. He said there was loads of them there, anyway; and he said there was A-rabs there, too, and elephants and things. I said, why couldn't we see them, then? He said if I warn't so ignorant, but had read a book called Don Quixote, I would know without asking. He said it was all done by enchantment. He said there was hundreds of soldiers there, and elephants and treasure, and so on, but we had enemies which he called magicians, and they had turned the whole thing into an infant Sunday-school, just out of spite. I said, all right; then the thing for us to do was to go for the magicians. Tom Sawyer said I was a numskull.”

• Love
Reactions: Hawki97
The great thing about America is one can be successful while being an idiot or well read and educated, one just has to decide how they want to go through life.
So in your estimation, a self made wealthy businessman who chooses not to read old world works of literature is an idiot while the unambitious guy driving Ubers and reading Tolstoy is well read and educated? Got it.

Funny you should mention that....

Great you've given 1 example out of 4 million teachers that teach 500 lessons or more a year.
Good work...

Great you've given 1 example out of 4 million teachers that teach 500 lessons or more a year.
Good work...
that's funny, i didn't think i suggested it was the norm. but it does illustrate the point about bad teaching. But, a body of evidence does indeed begin with "one".

Last edited:
“He never could go after even a turnip-cart but he must have the swords and guns all scoured up for it, though they was only lath and broomsticks, and you might scour at them till you rotted, and then they warn't worth a mouthful of ashes more than what they was before. I didn't believe we could lick such a crowd of Spaniards and A-rabs, but I wanted to see the camels and elephants, so I was on hand next day, Saturday, in the ambuscade; and when we got the word we rushed out of the woods and down the hill. But there warn't no Spaniards and A-rabs, and there warn't no camels nor no elephants.

It warn't anything but a Sunday-school picnic, and only a primer class at that. We busted it up, and chased the children up the hollow; but we never got anything but some doughnuts and jam, though Ben Rogers got a rag doll, and Joe Harper got a hymn-book and a tract; and then the teacher charged in, and made us drop everything and cut. I didn't see no di'monds, and I told Tom Sawyer so. He said there was loads of them there, anyway; and he said there was A-rabs there, too, and elephants and things. I said, why couldn't we see them, then? He said if I warn't so ignorant, but had read a book called Don Quixote, I would know without asking. He said it was all done by enchantment. He said there was hundreds of soldiers there, and elephants and treasure, and so on, but we had enemies which he called magicians, and they had turned the whole thing into an infant Sunday-school, just out of spite. I said, all right; then the thing for us to do was to go for the magicians. Tom Sawyer said I was a numskull.”

Exactly. I don't remember exactly what grade I had to read old Finn, but I remember thinking it was gibberish half the time and my English teacher that blew her top over a misplaced comma must hate this guy.

For most kids, the "classics" suck at getting you engaged to be a reader. And this was before phones, tiktok, etc.

Exactly. I don't remember exactly what grade I had to read old Finn, but I remember thinking it was gibberish half the time and my English teacher that blew her top over a misplaced comma must hate this guy.

For kids, the "classics" suck at getting you engaged to be a reader.
Yeah man. Few eighth graders can appreciate the beauty of that passage. It wasn’t until my early thirties that I read Huckleberry Finn and understood it.

Reactions: Hawki97
Yeah man. Few eighth graders can appreciate the beauty of that passage. It wasn’t until my early thirties that I read Huckleberry Finn and understood it.

I think it was maybe 5th or 6th grade I read it. It was definitely elementary. In the first paragraph alone I probably wouldn't have been sure what a turnip-cart was, had no idea what a lath was, what a "mouthful of ashes" meant, zero clue what an ambuscade was, and calling someone an A-rabs is probably something my mom would have washed my mouth out with soap for....nevermind all the made up words.

Feeding a kid that's 10-12 years old passages where they can't just read it with a nice flow because they don't understand words, meaning, context, etc. and they get hung up on the minutia vs. the story is not the way to get them interested in reading. That's not to say that it doesn't do other good things that helps someone learn (frankly at any age). But the topic of this thread is kids not liking to read books. Forcing shit on kids that you appreciate later in life when you've gathered those skills just because it's a "classic" does not accomplish the goal of creating more avid readers IMHO.

Reactions: Dr. Phil Seuss
Teenagers are boring people.

Great fiction resonates because of shared experience. Most teenagers don’t have any. How can you expect them to truly understand Faulkner or Steinbeck?

I can’t imagine reading Updike, Ford, or Russo as a teen. I didn’t fully get American Pastoral until I had kids.

FWIW, my wife is an elementary teacher, usually in the 3rd to 4th grade range, but has experience with 1st through 6th. Inspiring kids to read is probably her main "thing" as a teacher. She goes WAY ABOVE and BEYOND to encourage kids to read and it works in almost all of the kids, every year.

Pretty much every year she receives multiple accolades from parents and other staff for her success in sparking a love for reading in so many of her students. Often the more prolific readers in her class(es) will read 25+ chapter books over and above whatever is a part of the regular curriculum. (She has many tricks and techniques to encourage extra-curricular reading.) And the kids have to take a test at the end to validate that they read and digested the book, etc.

But...while I think it is super cool that she does this and that so many have benefited from it...I have been gobsmacked that she appears to be in the small minority of teachers that stresses AND facilitates reading books like this. That is...multiple other teachers do little to nothing outside of the regular curriculum to encourage reading. What??

So I agree with the idea that "kids these days" have A LOT more electronic distractions to battle, etc, but it is also apparently true that schools(teachers) don't really do a lot to build up reading habits. Go figure.
We need more teachers like your wife. Reading is fundamental to success in life, and I don't trust people who don't read.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Reading books just isn't for everyone. I read a little but if the material doesn't interest me there's no way I'm continuing on with the book. Even if it was assigned in school. I have a co-worker that is an operations manager and does a great job, has a degree from Coe, and proudly states he's never read a book in his life and he's 45. I also have a granddaughter that's 9, reads a new book every week and not kids books. Adult books, and she loves it. Pretty sure this isn't a new thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT