ADVERTISEMENT

The Great British Baking Show and Why Men and Women are Separated in Competitions

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
It has always seemed kind of weird to me that we split up the men and women for non-athletic stuff like Billiards and Poker. And yes I know there are plenty of co-ed competitions. Seems there shouldn't be any difference in either sex's ability to hit a ball in a pocket or make the correct lay down in poker. And for the most part there isn't much difference in those things. But now I realize a big part of this has to be due to ability to control emotions. That's not a good or bad thing. It just is.

I watched the Great British Baking show's latest season (fvck you, it's awesome) on Netflix this past week and noticed something. Just about every time they went up for judging of their creations, it was very obvious that at least one female contestant, every time, had just been crying. Every episode stuff goes bad and the women freak out and start blubbering and the men are like "Oh well, fvck it, I either fix it or guess I'm going home." That's a huge advantage for them. Emotions play hell on your nerves and being able to control them and stay the course is incredibly important at the highest levels of whatever the competition is.

That said, it is this emotional output that also usually makes women better parents, partners, teachers, nurses, etc. They care more deeply than men about the things they invest their time in.

csb

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT