ADVERTISEMENT

The Growing Support for Christian Nationalism in All 50 States (RANKED)

RicoSuave102954

HR All-American
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
Some people in American politics say we are being affected by the growing impact of Christian nationalism.

In collaboration with the Brookings Institution, PRRI published a nationwide survey offering fresh and thorough assessments to gauge the percentage of Americans who either endorse or oppose Christian nationalist ideology.

The results follow for each of the 50 states, starting with the state with the LEAST support and ending with the state with the MOST support for Christian Nationalism.

#50 Oregon​

In Oregon, 62% of the population is Christian. 17% support Christian Nationalism, and among the white population, 22% are supporters.

#25 Iowa​

In Iowa, 82% of the population is Christian. 31% support Christian Nationalism, and among the white population, 33% are supporters.

#1 Mississippi​

In Mississippi, 85% of the population is Christian. 50% support Christian Nationalism, and among the white population, 52% are supporters.

Very surprised and disappointed that Iowa did not make the top 10.

We certainly can do better than #25 and work toward surpassing Mississippi as #1

• Sad
Reactions: h-hawk
The conversation before this "study" began:

Blue states have had a rough go recently, how do we change perception?

Let's make up a term that sounds menacing, not define it, and then create some statistics so blue states look good.

Love it!

The conversation before this "study" began:

Blue states have had a rough go recently, how do we change perception?

Let's make up a term that sounds menacing, not define it, and then create some statistics so blue states look good.

Love it!

As far as political terns go I believe Christian nationalism is pretty well defined.

It's a person who essentially see's Christianity as part of the national identity and seeks integration of church and state. They want things like prayer in state schools, Christian and only Christian symbols in public buildings and on public grounds.

They essentially want government at all levels to show favoritism toward Christianity.

Of course when one believes this I ask which Christian denomination should be favored?? Because there are conservative Lutherans who believe prayer with anyone not holding to their specific theology is a sin.

As far as political terns go I believe Christian nationalism is pretty well defined.

It's a person who essentially see's Christianity as part of the national identity and seeks integration of church and state. They want things like prayer in state schools, Christian and only Christian symbols in public buildings and on public grounds.

They essentially want government at all levels to show favoritism toward Christianity.

Of course when one believes this I ask which Christian denomination should be favored?? Because there are conservative Lutherans who believe prayer with anyone not holding to their specific theology is a sin.
If I were going to make an attempt to define it I'd probably go with something similar to you, but...

Does anyone proudly identify as a "Christian nationalist?" Is there a Christian nationalist convention they attend? OR was it just a term created by liberals in an attempt to paint evangelicals in a negative light?

I have a feeling I know the answer to that, but I'm not googling to find the next Christian nationalist convention.

I know many who would consider themselves evangelical christians. None believe the way you describe though.

Last edited:
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
If I were going to make an attempt to define it I'd probably go with something similar to you, but...

Does anyone proudly identify as a "Christian nationalist?" Is there a Christian nationalist convention they attend? OR was it just a terrible created by liberals in an attempt to paint evangelicals in a negative light?

I have a feeling I know the answer to that, but I'm not googling to find the next Christian nationalist convention.

I know many who would consider themselves evangelical christians. None believe the way you describe though.
As a person that goes to Church on average about 2 times a month lately...I've yet to run into a "christian nationalist".

csb

Early in my career in the Central Florida Bible Belt I had my first period kids ask why they can’t pray all pray together before school in my class. I said, “Sure we can. Stand up.” They all stood up excitedly and I said “Bow your heads. Heavenly Allah…”. And they about shit themselves. Half of them quickly sat down as if they were gonna become instant Muslims. It was pretty funny. Then the obvious conversation happened after that and it was a good lesson. Very memorable day for all of them and me I’m sure.

Does anyone proudly identify as a "Christian nationalist?" Is there a Christian nationalist convention they attend? OR was it just a term created by liberals in an attempt to paint evangelicals in a negative light?

MTG identified herself as a Christian Nationalist.

There are people who openly identify as it. I don't think it's a super organized movement so much as it's a conservative faction.

If you like rain, lots of rain and have no issue stepping over the homeless drug addicts laying all over the place.

Glad to know your opinion on Oregon is what you read or see on TV. Anyone that has been to Oregon wouldn't be claiming this.

Christian nationalism or Christian dominionism, at is core, is the belief that America was founded as a Christian nation and the 1A provides that other religions are permitted to exist in America but Christianity and the federal government can intermix on policy and laws; i.e., there is no separation between the Christian church and the state.
Does anyone proudly identify as a "Christian nationalist?"
Yes, several politicians; including MTG and Rafa Cruz.
Is there a Christian nationalist convention they attend?
Yes; CPAC and Turning Point are popular and widely attended conventions.
OR was it just a term created by liberals in an attempt to paint evangelicals in a negative light?
An evangelical and Christian nationalists are different, although there would be cross-over on a Venn diagram. An evangelical believes that he is called to spread the word of Christ to the unsaved....that is not necessarily the same as someone that believe the US is a Christian nation that merely tolerates the existence of other religions.

Reactions: h-hawk and WDSMHAWK
Christian nationalism or Christian dominionism, at is core, is the belief that America was founded as a Christian nation and the 1A provides that other religions are permitted to exist in America but Christianity and the federal government can intermix on policy and laws; i.e., there is no separation between the Christian church and the state.

Yes, several politicians; including MTG and Rafa Cruz.

Yes; CPAC and Turning Point are popular and widely attended conventions.

An evangelical and Christian nationalists are different, although there would be cross-over on a Venn diagram. An evangelical believes that he is called to spread the word of Christ to the unsaved....that is not necessarily the same as someone that believe the US is a Christian nation that merely tolerates the existence of other religions.
More liberal propaganda.

Information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view is called propaganda.

It has been a long time ago but I can remember Jon Stewart skewering an author who had written a book falsely claiming that America was founded as a Christian nation.

"Why did the Founding Fathers refuse to support an established religion?

Both Jefferson and fellow Virginian James Madison felt that state support for a particular religion or for any religion was improper. They argued that compelling citizens to support through taxation a faith they did not follow violated their natural right to religious liberty.Oct 17, 2023"

It has been a long time ago but I can remember Jon Stewart skewering an author who had written a book falsely claiming that America was founded as a Christian nation.

"Why did the Founding Fathers refuse to support an established religion?

Both Jefferson and fellow Virginian James Madison felt that state support for a particular religion or for any religion was improper. They argued that compelling citizens to support through taxation a faith they did not follow violated their natural right to religious liberty.Oct 17, 2023"
Ha LOL - Jon Stewart couldn't skewer a potato.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT