ADVERTISEMENT

The Half Life of a 1.5ºC World Is Now Down to SIX YEARS!

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
The world's net carbon budget to give us a 50% chance of staying under 1.5ºC is 250 billion tonnes. The world currently emits around 40 billion tonnes per year. Do the math.

Cutting that annual production will give us more time, but not a lot.

"To retain the 50% chance of a 1.5C limit, emissions would have to plunge to net zero by 2034, far faster than even the most radical scenarios."

Climate crisis: carbon emissions budget is now tiny, scientists say

The carbon budget remaining to limit the climate crisis to 1.5C of global heating is now “tiny”, according to an analysis, sending a “dire” message about the adequacy of climate action.

The carbon budget is the maximum amount of carbon emissions that can be released while restricting global temperature rise to the limits of the Paris agreement. The new figure is half the size of the budget estimated in 2020 and would be exhausted in six years at current levels of emissions.

Temperature records have been obliterated in 2023, with extreme weather supercharged by global heating hitting lives and livelihoods across the world. At the imminent UN Cop28 climate summit in the United Arab Emirates there are likely to be disputes over calls for a phaseout of fossil fuels.

The analysis found the carbon budget remaining for a 50% chance of keeping global temperature rise below 1.5C is about 250bn tonnes. Global emissions are expected to reach a record high this year of about 40bn tonnes. To retain the 50% chance of a 1.5C limit, emissions would have to plunge to net zero by 2034, far faster than even the most radical scenarios.

The current UN ambition is to cut emissions by half by 2030 and reach net zero by 2050, although existing policies are far from delivering this ambition. If it was achieved, however, it would mean only about a 40% chance of staying below 1.5C, the scientists said, so breaking the limit would be more likely than not.
But, they warned, every 10th of a degree of extra heat caused more human suffering and therefore keeping as close as possible to 1.5C was crucial.

The new carbon budget estimate is the most recent and comprehensive analysis to date. The main reasons the budget has shrunk so markedly since 2020 are the continued high emissions from human activities and a better understanding of how reducing air pollution increases heating by blocking less sunlight.

Prof Joeri Rogelj, at Imperial College London, UK, and one the study’s authors, said: “The budget is so small, and the urgency of meaningful action for limiting warming is so high, [that] the message from [the carbon budget] is dire.
“Having a 50% or higher likelihood that we limit warming to 1.5C is out of the window, irrespective of how much political action and policy action there is.” He said it was “remarkable” how much risk humanity appeared willing to take with global heating.

Dr Chris Smith, at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis in Austria, who was also part of the study, said: “Governments can control the emissions but, at the moment, they have not done so. This is why we have an ever-shrinking carbon budget. We are not saying we only have six years to solve climate change – absolutely not. If we are able to limit warming to 1.6C or 1.7C, that’s a lot better than 2C. We still need to fight for every 10th of a degree.”

The study, published in the journal Nature Climate Change, used updated data and improved climate modelling compared with other recent estimates. It also used the latest figures showing that aerosol air pollution and the clouds it was helping to seed were better at blocking sunlight and limiting heating than previously thought. As a result, lower pollution in future would mean more global heating and therefore a smaller carbon emissions budget to remain under 1.5C.

The analysis also looked at the 2C upper limit in the Paris agreement, which even if met would still mean a sharp increase in climate impacts from heatwaves to floods to crop losses.

For a 90% chance of keeping below 2C, emissions would have to hit net zero in about 2035, the study found. Achieving net zero in 2050 would give a 66% chance of meeting the 2C target.

Ben Sanderson, at the Centre for International Climate and Environmental Research in Norway, and not part of the study, said the remaining budget for 1.5C was tiny. “The [analysis] makes for uncomfortable reading for policymakers. The budget is consistent with net zero CO2 emissions being achieved in 2034. This is vastly more ambitious than current implemented global climate policies.”

Dr Gabriel Abrahão, at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany, said: “There is a very real possibility that we will overshoot the 1.5C target in this decade. Thus, the public debate and the international climate negotiations should already be discussing how to return to 1.5C after an overshoot, so that [it] doesn’t end up being permanent.”

The calculation of carbon budget involved significant uncertainties, the researchers said. Sanderson added: “This [updated carbon budget] illustrates that any calculation, no matter how rigorous, is subject to change with revised data and understanding.”

Dr Robin Lamboll, at Imperial College London, said future revisions that increased the carbon budget were “not very likely now”.

Global carbon emissions from fossil fuel burning could peak as early as this year, according to data from the International Energy Agency, meaning they could begin to fall in 2024.

Lamboll said the researchers hoped to produce annual updates on the remaining carbon budgets.

There's no point in posting this stuff anymore. We'll top 3C this century. Topping 3C make 5C or higher nearly inevitable. The only conceivable mitigating factor would be spreading particulates in the upper atmosphere to reflect energy back into space and we have no idea what the consequences of that would be. And doing that does nothing to prevent the ongoing acidification of the ocean which will inevitably lead to a mass extinction of ocean life.

There's no point in posting this stuff anymore. We'll top 3C this century. Topping 3C make 5C or higher nearly inevitable. The only conceivable mitigating factor would be spreading particulates in the upper atmosphere to reflect energy back into space and we have no idea what the consequences of that would be. And doing that does nothing to prevent the ongoing acidification of the ocean which will inevitably lead to a mass extinction of ocean life.
Well, a nuclear winter will kick up a bunch of particulates into the upper atmosphere. We'll all have much more immediate concerns than climate change if that happens though.

Well, a nuclear winter will kick up a bunch of particulates into the upper atmosphere. We'll all have much more immediate concerns than climate change if that happens though.
That's starting to look like the only solution. Unless maybe Mother Nature does it for us with sufficient super volcano activity. Or a massive coronal ejection that particularly slams the US and EU.

Those 3 - nuclear war, super volcanoes, and MCE - would kill a lot of people quickly and more thereafter. The first 2 would give us extended winter.

It's a shame that most post-apocalyptic fiction these days is written by wingnut survivalists. It would be interesting to explore how the real world and something like civilization might recover from such events. Anyone know of good books that aren't stultifyingly wingnutty?

That's starting to look like the only solution. Unless maybe Mother Nature does it for us with sufficient super volcano activity. Or a massive coronal ejection that particularly slams the US and EU.

Those 3 - nuclear war, super volcanoes, and MCE - would kill a lot of people quickly and more thereafter. The first 2 would give us extended winter.

It's a shame that most post-apocalyptic fiction these days is written by wingnut survivalists. It would be interesting to explore how the real world and something like civilization might recover from such events. Anyone know of good books that aren't stultifyingly wingnutty?
Honestly, I think the game "Zero Horizon" does the best job of showing how new cultures might develop after an apocalypse. Granted, that was after a total extinction event though so there was no one to carry on knowledge from previous generations.

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
The world's net carbon budget to give us a 50% chance of staying under 1.5ºC is 250 billion tonnes. The world currently emits around 40 billion tonnes per year. Do the math.

Cutting that annual production will give us more time, but not a lot.

"To retain the 50% chance of a 1.5C limit, emissions would have to plunge to net zero by 2034, far faster than even the most radical scenarios."

Climate crisis: carbon emissions budget is now tiny, scientists say

The carbon budget remaining to limit the climate crisis to 1.5C of global heating is now “tiny”, according to an analysis, sending a “dire” message about the adequacy of climate action.

The carbon budget is the maximum amount of carbon emissions that can be released while restricting global temperature rise to the limits of the Paris agreement. The new figure is half the size of the budget estimated in 2020 and would be exhausted in six years at current levels of emissions.

Temperature records have been obliterated in 2023, with extreme weather supercharged by global heating hitting lives and livelihoods across the world. At the imminent UN Cop28 climate summit in the United Arab Emirates there are likely to be disputes over calls for a phaseout of fossil fuels.

The analysis found the carbon budget remaining for a 50% chance of keeping global temperature rise below 1.5C is about 250bn tonnes. Global emissions are expected to reach a record high this year of about 40bn tonnes. To retain the 50% chance of a 1.5C limit, emissions would have to plunge to net zero by 2034, far faster than even the most radical scenarios.

The current UN ambition is to cut emissions by half by 2030 and reach net zero by 2050, although existing policies are far from delivering this ambition. If it was achieved, however, it would mean only about a 40% chance of staying below 1.5C, the scientists said, so breaking the limit would be more likely than not.
But, they warned, every 10th of a degree of extra heat caused more human suffering and therefore keeping as close as possible to 1.5C was crucial.

The new carbon budget estimate is the most recent and comprehensive analysis to date. The main reasons the budget has shrunk so markedly since 2020 are the continued high emissions from human activities and a better understanding of how reducing air pollution increases heating by blocking less sunlight.

Prof Joeri Rogelj, at Imperial College London, UK, and one the study’s authors, said: “The budget is so small, and the urgency of meaningful action for limiting warming is so high, [that] the message from [the carbon budget] is dire.
“Having a 50% or higher likelihood that we limit warming to 1.5C is out of the window, irrespective of how much political action and policy action there is.” He said it was “remarkable” how much risk humanity appeared willing to take with global heating.

Dr Chris Smith, at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis in Austria, who was also part of the study, said: “Governments can control the emissions but, at the moment, they have not done so. This is why we have an ever-shrinking carbon budget. We are not saying we only have six years to solve climate change – absolutely not. If we are able to limit warming to 1.6C or 1.7C, that’s a lot better than 2C. We still need to fight for every 10th of a degree.”

The study, published in the journal Nature Climate Change, used updated data and improved climate modelling compared with other recent estimates. It also used the latest figures showing that aerosol air pollution and the clouds it was helping to seed were better at blocking sunlight and limiting heating than previously thought. As a result, lower pollution in future would mean more global heating and therefore a smaller carbon emissions budget to remain under 1.5C.

The analysis also looked at the 2C upper limit in the Paris agreement, which even if met would still mean a sharp increase in climate impacts from heatwaves to floods to crop losses.

For a 90% chance of keeping below 2C, emissions would have to hit net zero in about 2035, the study found. Achieving net zero in 2050 would give a 66% chance of meeting the 2C target.

Ben Sanderson, at the Centre for International Climate and Environmental Research in Norway, and not part of the study, said the remaining budget for 1.5C was tiny. “The [analysis] makes for uncomfortable reading for policymakers. The budget is consistent with net zero CO2 emissions being achieved in 2034. This is vastly more ambitious than current implemented global climate policies.”

Dr Gabriel Abrahão, at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany, said: “There is a very real possibility that we will overshoot the 1.5C target in this decade. Thus, the public debate and the international climate negotiations should already be discussing how to return to 1.5C after an overshoot, so that [it] doesn’t end up being permanent.”

The calculation of carbon budget involved significant uncertainties, the researchers said. Sanderson added: “This [updated carbon budget] illustrates that any calculation, no matter how rigorous, is subject to change with revised data and understanding.”

Dr Robin Lamboll, at Imperial College London, said future revisions that increased the carbon budget were “not very likely now”.

Global carbon emissions from fossil fuel burning could peak as early as this year, according to data from the International Energy Agency, meaning they could begin to fall in 2024.

Lamboll said the researchers hoped to produce annual updates on the remaining carbon budgets.

So scary!! 🤡 :eek:🤡

Are you going to make a .75 post tomorrow? I still promise to take climate change as seriously as Kerry or Obama btw. So far I've got 1,000,000,000,000 metric tons of carbon to emit to catch up to them so I think I'm good. These climate doomsday predictions are honestly comical at this point. You're going to be posting this same shit in 6 years.

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Honestly, I think the game "Zero Horizon" does the best job of showing how new cultures might develop after an apocalypse. Granted, that was after a total extinction event though so there was no one to carry on knowledge from previous generations.
Is that the game? That's what came up when I amazoned it.

Is unchecked illegal immigration and the promotion of illiterates breeding families of say 10 or 12, helping or hurting the cause?

Reactions: Scruddy
No apocalypse coming. We will adapt. Necessity is the mother on invention.

(There’s that antagonistic optimism of mine again…some poster accused me of that yesterday and it is perfect for me…I do try to annoy the knee-jerk drama seekers.)

Are you going to make a .75 post tomorrow? I still promise to take climate change as seriously as Kerry or Obama btw. So far I've got 1,000,000,000,000 metric tons of carbon to emit to catch up to them so I think I'm good. These climate doomsday predictions are honestly comical at this point. You're going to be posting this same shit in 6 years.
Says someone who clearly has not been paying attention and doesn't know WTF he's talking about. Please educate yourself. You might be able to do some good. Or at least prepare.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael

(There’s that antagonistic optimism of mine again…some poster accused me of that yesterday and it is perfect for me…I do try to annoy the knee-jerk drama seekers.)
Depends on what you mean by apocalypse. Humans are not going to go extinct. We have survived far worse with far less than we have now. Our civilization might collapse though. The United States could cease to exist, although the way things are going now that might happen regardless of climate change. Although an argument can be made that climate change is already contributing to this.

Is unchecked illegal immigration and the promotion of illiterates breeding families of say 10 or 12, helping or hurting the cause?
Not sure if immigration (legal or illegal) makes much difference. I guess it depends on whether the migrants are successful in becoming higher-level polluters where they move. I mean poor people usually want to live more like us. It's part of why they come here. So if they are successful, they become more of a problem than they used to be. But, again, that probably isn't that big an impact.

While slowing the increase in population is another thing that won't have much impact, we certainly shouldn't be discouraging population-limiting measures like abortion and birth control. We should definitely be encouraging the latter, and maybe the former, as well.

In sum, both of the things you mentioned are more likely to make things worse than better, but probably not by a lot. We should focus on things with a higher impact.

For someone very concerned about a $33T national debt and its impact on future generations, you are shockingly cavalier about the impacts of climate change, its effects on human societies, and the loss of 25-50% of species by the end of the century.

Says someone who clearly has not been paying attention and doesn't know WTF he's talking about. Please educate yourself. You might be able to do some good. Or at least prepare.
Oh me and my family are prepared and will be fine. The Obama ocean front estate may be an issue... they don't seem concerned for some reason, though. Weird right? Weird.. almost like they know this is the most made up problem in history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT