ADVERTISEMENT

the have’s and the have nots

College football was much better before the BCS and CFB playoff when all the big bowl games were played on New Year's Day and the minor bowls led up to that. There was more uncertainty of who would be declared the national champion. With this current structure, there is a herd mentality for the best recruits to go to 4 schools that have the best chance to make the playoff. There is too big of a difference between the abilities of a 5 star vs. a 3 star.

Reactions: 59DAWG
There is too big of a difference between the abilities of a 5 star vs. a 3 star.
Speed and quickness are generally those abilities.

I bet the % of 3 stars who make the NFL is greater than 5 stars who make it.

That’s to say for example, 7 out of 10 (3’s) make it vs 6 out of 10 (5’s)...something like that.

I’ll try and research that when I have time.

Again, Iowa just isn’t going to get multiple 5’s in any class, and maybe one every blue moon at best.
It’s the 4’s we have to sign more of to compete at a higher level consistently.

That’s to say for example, 7 out of 10 (3’s) make it vs 6 out of 10 (5’s)...something like that.

Again, Iowa just isn’t going to get multiple 5’s in any class, and maybe one every blue moon at best.

La Quinta,
I think I read a report somewhwere that stated there were more 3 star players in the NFL, than 5 star players, but I can't find it. Just because a player is a 3 star does not mean they can't become a 5 star before they leave college. I know of a few 3 star players that played at OSU who did pretty good for themselves in the pros:

AJ Hawk ( Won Super Bowl with Green Bay)
Nick Mangold ( 2 star one recruiting service/3 star on another)
Malcom Jenkins (Won Super with Philly and New Orleans)
James Lauranitis
Michael Thomas
Denzel Ward
Bradley Roby

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
La Quinta,
I think I read a report somewhwere that stated there were more 3 star players in the NFL, than 5 star players, but I can't find it. Just because a player is a 3 star does not mean they can't become a 5 star before they leave college. I know of a few 3 star players that played at OSU who did pretty good for themselves in the pros:

AJ Hawk ( Won Super Bowl with Green Bay)
Nick Mangold ( 2 star one recruiting service/3 star on another)
Malcom Jenkins (Won Super with Philly and New Orleans)
James Lauranitis
Michael Thomas
Denzel Ward
Bradley Roby

You can't look at absolute numbers because there are a boatload more players rated as 3* than 5*. You have to look at percentages to compare apples to apples.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye

I realize that you were just throwing out an example, but I’d be REAL surprised if 7 of 10 3-stars made it to the NFL.

There just aren’t that many roster spots available. I think the number would be closer to 10-20%.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Okay, there’s an article on 247 Sports that talks about this.

In the 2014 high school class, there were only 33 5-stars. 57.6% made the NFL.

There were 296 4-stars and 23.6% made the NFL.

There were 1541 3-stars and 6.9% made the NFL.

There were 1666 2-stars and 1.1% made the NFL.

Another study analyzed the 2017 NFL draft. By star level, the following number of players were drafted:
5 - 23
4 - 76
3 - 90
2 - 25
Not Rated - 28

It’s pretty easy to determine that the higher you are rated in high school, the better chance of playing in the NFL... and it really isn’t close.

Football recruiting is much less predictable than BBall recruiting. In the end, however, the more stars the better the player. If Iowa could pull 7-10 four stars a season this staff would win 10 almost every season. In spite of the doomsayers 2021 was the best Iowa class in years.

Iowa has a great opportunity to find a couple of guys that can recruit as well as coach. It seems that a decent recruiter should be able to land 2 or 3 4* O linemen in every class-Iowa is a good pipeline to the NFL.

Running back should also be a place we get a T Good almost every season. I mean, running backs want carries and you get a lot of carries at Iowa, in an offense that showed it could produce a 1st team All B!G running back.

The new coaches have something to offer the recruits at their positions.

Momentum builds on itself. And when you can hire multiple ex head coaches as coordinators and analysts, etc that don't hurt either. I have never been to the state of Alabama, but c'mon it can't be that damn appealing compared to say Southern Cal or Florida????? As we just saw Tennessee was using McDonalds happy meals with cash in them.
My sister and brother in law got stationed in Huntsville and I was pleasantly surprised when I went down to visit. Definitely didn't fit the stereotypical "Alabama" I'd envisioned. Huntsville is a little different as NASA and Red Stone Arsenal are there with lots of government contractors and high dollar jobs, but I've heard great things about Tuscaloosa. As you alluded to, I don't think it has a better environment than Florida, but maybe more appealing than California as its less crowded and less expensive and the people are generally very nice and friendly. Football is king though, I was blown away by the high school stadiums and my nieces are cheerleaders for 5th and 6th grade football games where the kids look like they could take on some of the high school teams in Iowa. I think it's just a way of life down there, and as you said when you're able to build a program with the best coaching staff and build momentum recruiting it becomes the norm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT