ADVERTISEMENT

The most wonderful time of the year...

I'm on the fence as to whether or not she's good at the job. She definitely brings an untraditional and fresh perspective. She's also a little unpredictable, which is nice.

On the flip side, she doesn't always seem to be aware of court protocols during oral arguments, and sometimes goes on tangents that are even farther outside the tangents of other justices.
I've been extremely impressed by her, notwithstanding my disagreement with her on many substantive things. First, I wouldn't call her approach untraditional at all - in fact, she often accepts the paradigm of the other side's arguments (eg, originalism) and offers a contrary take (in addition to her own take which again, is typically "legal" rather than "policy" in contrast to Soto). Similarly, her acceptance of stare decisis stands in contrast to Thomas' approach of short dissents citing prior long dissents in cases he dissented in.

As for the protocol, they all fall into that trap in their rookie term.

Oh man, you're killing me. One man's "fearless" is another man's "she doesn't realize that she's not a justice".

I've worked on a case in the lower courts where she was in the background with the expectation of future appeals. To be clear, she's brilliant and a great advocate, but just not my cup of tea.

Go to a Clement case - amazing how conversational the argument is, and how it's the justices who seem to regard him as a justice rather than the other way around.
Clement is amazing. He has command of the subject matter and related law and case law unlike anyone I've ever heard. He's totally unflustered and at ease.

Reactions: Aardvark86
Ruh roh. Court takes cert in transgender care ban case.
Can’t wait to allow Ginni Thomas and
Martha Ann Alito to decide what’s in the best medical interest of patients instead of, well, the patients, their parents, and medical and health care professionals.

Can’t wait to allow Ginni Thomas and
Martha Ann Alito to decide what’s in the best medical interest of patients instead of, well, the patients, their parents, and medical and health care professionals.
Health care professionals? Sure.
Parents? Maybe, as long as they don't harm their children in the process.
Patients? Minors shouldn't be making medical decisions for themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Scotus has scheduled opinion days for Thursday and Friday, which should give them plenty of capacity for pushing out the remaining cases on the docket. Only question, which isn't really much of one, is whether the Trump case comes out before or after the debate. (After, of course)

Scotus has scheduled opinion days for Thursday and Friday, which should give them plenty of capacity for pushing out the remaining cases on the docket. Only question, which isn't really much of one, is whether the Trump case comes out before or after the debate. (After, of course)
Last oral argument heard, correct? LILO

So, a few calm thoughts before the three day storm system rolls through the rest of the week...

1. Friday will be a bit of a conundrum for me. It's my 60th birthday, and we'll be heading out to visit Jr. and having a fantastic winery dinner in the evening (https://be.bbvwine.com/app/uploads/2024/03/2024-Spring-Dessert-Menu-def.pdf), so I may unable to follow along live for the last day's opinions depending on when we depart.
2. The reality is -- as it always has been, and is not unique to this court -- that the last few days' opinions are among the most consequential. They're last because they're the hardest, and each justice is more likely to want to express their particular nuanced view. And they often have broader implications - just as Justice Soto can turn an immigration case involving a gang member noncitizen spouse into one about LGBTQ marital rights, so too cases about agency authority and executive immunity are often just as much about the next case. All that takes time. There's no grand conspiracy as to timing.
3. While we all often have strong views about the end results in these cases, the reality is that they are hard, and about 99% of the time, there are very real and important considerations advanced by the party opposite the end result we may desire. I try to read the opinions, and others should too - other than matters of process (which is the only thing that makes a lawyer a lawyer), they're surprisingly lucid.
4. To wit, some thoughts on the pending cases...
a. Relentless/Loper Bright (Chevron) - Recognize this is not about getting rid of deference to policy choices (which remains), it's about deference to legal constructions of statutes. IMO, Chevron needs to go not only because agencies are no better at that than judges, but also because (i) Chevron affirmatively encourages them to bend over backwards to make a merely plausible case for the possible, rather than identifying what's authorized, and (ii) doing so will, over the long term, encourage those choices to be made where they rightfully belong, by the politically accountable legislature. Sure, that can be tough, but in the long term it's important, and it's one part of how we break the cycle of politics being merely a parliamentary team exercise and returning to a more representative one.
b. Jarkesy - Very interested to see how this one comes out. I can't for the life of me envision a decision that suddenly one gets a jury trial for a much broader swath of civil/administrative enforcement actions by an agency, though it is sort of consistent with the history/tradition of jury rights. Appointments clause maybe?
c. Purdue - Continue to be surprised this has taken so long, and I have a hard time seeing the court stop a potential resolution of one of the biggest bankruptcies out there. Bad cases, bad law i guess.
d. Ohio/EPA - While this'll be played as simple "anti-environmental regulation," it's really struck me as a pretty vanilla case from an APA perspective - an agency can act if it fails to consider an important part of a problem, which it pretty clearly did here in the name of expedience.
e. Moody/Netchoice - states gonna get spanked. Just not sure how this is anything other than the G regulating private speech platforms.
f. Idaho/abortion EMTALA preemption - While as a health care lawyer it's a little dubious to me that EMTALA preemption ever really had this in mind, Idaho will rightfully lose due to the conscience exemptions in the law. I suspect we'll see some language in here that sort of echoes some of the discussion of causation in the standing cases.
g. Trump. Hard to define what is a win and what is a loss here. On the one hand, all should recognize that there are legitimate questions about a president's immunity for choices and actions within the scope of his executive duties. I have to say, the theme at the argument that "we have to be careful about revenge against previous presidents," while practically correct, didn't quite ring true to me as having any basis in the constitution itself. Don't be surprised, or disappointed, if the court carves out "some" space for executive action though. On the other hand, while I haven't remotely followed the minutiae of 1/6, I have a hard time believing that on remand every single thing will be viewed as within the scope of legitimate executive action, or otherwise some form of "political puffery." I know folks here are worked up about timing, but remember that the G itself first sought review of this issue, that in the big scheme of this has proceeded very quickly, and that it's fundamentally wrong to think of any scotus case being about timing and nothing else.

that the last few days' opinions are among the most consequential. They're last because they're the hardest

The "immunity" case is not remotely hard.
The lower court issued a very clear and comprehensive ruling on it.

g. Trump. Hard to define what is a win and what is a loss here. On the one hand, all should recognize that there are legitimate questions about a president's immunity for choices and actions within the scope of his executive duties.

Except that NONE of his Executive Duties have anything to do with the immunity claim.

You continue to miss that very simple and very obvious point. This case had NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OFFICIAL DUTIES. Which means the SC did not need to rule on ANY of that aspect.

Reactions: Kelsers
Except that NONE of his Executive Duties have anything to do with the immunity claim.

You continue to miss that very simple and very obvious point. This case had NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OFFICIAL DUTIES. Which means the SC did not need to rule on ANY of that aspect.
To the contrary Joe, I've not "missed" any point. I was quite explicit that I've not focused on all of the nitty gritty of 1/6 in the way that some obsessives have, and further, I was quite explicit that there are almost certainly going to be "some" things that a lower court on remand is going to find actionable when it gets around to deconstructing the whole thing under whatever standard the court lays out. And as I've said elsewhere, I tend to agree that this is simple as to the erroneous "big picture" proposition advanced by Trump that "the King can do no wrong." (Perhaps what I didn't say explicitly, which I also believe, is that there are going to be some deconstructed things that aren't going to be found actionable and are subject to immunity.) As for the "need" to rule on this stuff, you can always debate that, but as I previously noted, it bears remembering that both parties actually asked the court to do this, at one point or another. At the end of the day, while one can obsess about timing being the bigger "win" for Trump, he is in fact going to lose on the ultimate merits here.

See you a little after 10. :)

Murthy - no standing to challenge social media content moderation bullying by Wh, by Barrett (6-3). Never going to be disappointed when phony plaintiff AG's get bounced on standing. Will be interesting to see if Barrett also writes in mOODY/NETCHOICE

Last edited:
Reactions: Finance85
and...Snyder, by Kav (gratuities case). This ought to be interesting. (Sadly, this means the chief has Relentless and Loper Bright over the next couple of days) Federal law only applies to (prospective) bribes to state/local officials, not (retrospective) gratuities (which state law may otherwise address). Short concurrence by Gorsuch referencing rule of lenity - one more bullet in the armamentarium to incent precise legislative drafting in a country with putatively limited government.

This sort of pisses me off, because it pretty much guarantees a big day for Friday when I'll likely be significantly off line. I think it also raises the possibility of a Monday or Tuesday session.

Last edited:
Why would they extend it as long as possible and only do one today?
they did two today. Generally, the reason things generally get kicked to the end of the term is that, in the contentious cases, the justices each have their own (sometimes very precise) things they want to say. And, as draft opinions get circulated, along with revisions thereto, sometimes the justices modify their opinion draft to clarify their points or to rebut/respond to something another justice is raising. Believe it or not, there is still back-and-forth going on. [Side note, I don't think it's still the case, but they used to literally typeset everything, and there are still scotus practitioners that go to Wilson Epes printers (almost a side door at the GPO) for preparing scotus merits briefs and petitions - I did one years ago and it was exceptionally retro-cool to go down there with your changes to the galleys, and the apron-wearing printers would literally turn things in a matter of hours.]

Note that it did strike me as "not out of the realm" that certain things (Fisher, Trump, Moyle) got "otherwise" deferred til after the debate, but honestly, it's getting to the point that I'm thinking that's less likely as there's just too many 'big' cases to defer. But if that is an actual dynamic, tomorrow's going to be a day that only an administrative/regulatory lawyer will love (say, Jarkesy, Relentless/Loper Bright, Corner Post, Ohio).

Last edited:
142 days since they granted cert in the Trump case.
and you know what really gets me?

188 since Grants Pass
195 since Moyle
211 since Ohio
218 since Fisher
287 since Relentless
301 since Corner Post, Moody, and Netchoice
351 since Harrington
416 since Jarkesy...and
452 since Loper Bright.

188 since Grants Pass
195 since Moyle
211 since Ohio
218 since Fisher
287 since Relentless
351 since Harrington
416 since Jarkesy...and
452 since Loper Bright.

Now now, we both know the Trump immunity case is different and the upcoming deadlines.

On a different note, I don’t think Judge Doughty will enjoy fn.4 from the Murthy opinion.

Reactions: lucas80
Now now, we both know the Trump immunity case is different and the upcoming deadlines.

On a different note, I don’t think Judge Doughty will enjoy fn.4 from the Murthy opinion.
Yes, we do know that, and we also know that it has been treated differently in the sense I think you're advocating for. To take just one example, the case was fully briefed and argued in 77 days (including by adding an additional date to the calendar), whereas the rules provide that at an absolute minimum, that would be a 110 day period (and in the ordinary course, typically longer). To take another, we also know that, as the last case of the term argued, every other case currently pending on the docket has been waiting longer post argument, notwithstanding its importance.

As to fn 4 in Murthy, indeed, that's a big ol' LOL.

Last edited:
I thought MO would win on merit. Obviously that can't happen without standing.

You don’t fall within the usual suspect definition as you are reasonable.

I didn’t think there was enough coercion there for Mo. to win - the government has a right to speak and has a public safety roll.

What pisses me off is there was no standing but MO went down to LA to file the case in front of a hand picked judge. That’s just horseshit.

and...Snyder, by Kav (gratuities case). This ought to be interesting. (Sadly, this means the chief has Relentless and Loper Bright over the next couple of days) Federal law only applies to (prospective) bribes to state/local officials, not (retrospective) gratuities (which state law may otherwise address). Short concurrence by Gorsuch referencing rule of lenity - one more bullet in the armamentarium to incent precise legislative drafting in a country with putatively limited government.

This sort of pisses me off, because it pretty much guarantees a big day for Friday when I'll likely be significantly off line. I think it also raises the possibility of a Monday or Tuesday session.
I think the court released a statement the term would be extended into July. I'll try to find it.

• Sad
You don’t fall within the usual suspect definition as you are reasonable.

I didn’t think there was enough coercion there for Mo. to win - the government has a right to speak and has a public safety roll.

What pisses me off is there was no standing but MO went down to LA to file the case in front of a hand picked judge. That’s just horseshit.
Thanks.

The government does have a right to speak, and the oral arguments covered that, but the arm twisting was more of the issue.

I would have thought MO would have been better served to find actual FB or Twitter users that were censored, and provide counsel for the private citizens filing suit. Standing would still be an issue unless some direct harm could be shown. At some point the court will need to address that rule, because the government gets the benefit of the doubt in abusing Bill of Rights issues the people are supposed to be protected from . How does a person show harm from government censorship?

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Stupid technology. Where’s the any key?

188 since Grants Pass
195 since Moyle
211 since Ohio
218 since Fisher
287 since Relentless
351 since Harrington
416 since Jarkesy...and
452 since Loper Bright.

Stupid technology. Where’s the any key?

I hate that I have to ask this but given the times we live in, first of all, is this even serious?

Second, I'm not sure I'm entirely understanding the characterization here, but it sounds sorta like what was expected in outcome, though perhaps on the ground that the state had interpreted its law to not actually prohibit what the G was saying Emtala required? Otherwise, I'm not sure how the last clause of the tweet relates. (A little different than the conscience objection issue that was the subject of a lot of focus).

Third, if this did occur, somebody in the pub affairs office may be in for a pink slip.

Just saw the text of the DIG on Bloomberg. Pretty weird, but seems to be consistent with my note above.

I hate that I have to ask this but given the times we live in, first of all, is this even serious?

Second, I'm not sure I'm entirely understanding the characterization here, but it sounds sorta like what was expected in outcome, though perhaps on the ground that the state had interpreted its law to not actually prohibit what the G was saying Emtala required? Otherwise, I'm not sure how the last clause of the tweet relates. (A little different than the conscience objection issue that was the subject of a lot of focus).

Third, if this did occur, somebody in the pub affairs office may be in for a pink slip.

I was more interested in the inadvertent posting than the contents.

Appears real.

Appears real.

Something tells me we're watching unfold, in real time, the beginning of the end of policy litigation by faux advocacy organizations (including but not limited to elected attorneys general) based on theoretical standings claims that only an academic could love.

Separately, an interesting side note (TAKING THIS INTO ACCONT) when you start looking at what opinions are left and who hasn't written in the session they were argued...

In April, you have Fisher, Trump, and Grants Pass, with the Chief, Gorsuch, and ...Jackson. It'll be interesting to see if Jackson actually gets one of these (I thought she'd get Snyder and had Gorsuch pencilled in for Grant's Pass, but she might well get none).

In January, it's Corner Post, Ohio, and Moody/Netchoice, with Alito, Gorsuch and Barrett.
In December, it's Relentless/Loper Bright, with Kav and the Chief.
And from November, it's Jarkesy and Harrington, with the Chief, Thomas (unlikely), Gorsuch, and Barrett.

I'm wondering if there's going to be a case at some point where the Feds get denied standing when they sue a state over a policy dispute, while claiming authority under the supremacy clause. Maybe even a case where there's a law, such as a voting rights law, that challenges the feds based on 10A. That would cause a complete meltdown by big federal government lovers.

I'm wondering if there's going to be a case at some point where the Feds get denied standing when they sue a state over a policy dispute, while claiming authority under the supremacy clause. Maybe even a case where there's a law, such as a voting rights law, that challenges the feds based on 10A. That would cause a complete meltdown by big federal government lovers.
...and people laughed at me when I said I didn't know whether standing principles were more liberal in the case of interstate original jurisdiction lawsuits due to federalism concerns!

i doubt we get that case, because, regardless of which party is in power, even now, we tend to get mature adults serving in the position of Attorney General, and the senior career types at DOJ actually do care enough about the place to rein in the kind of craziness you see from elected ag governor-wannabes.

...and people laughed at me when I said I didn't know whether standing principles were more liberal in the case of interstate original jurisdiction lawsuits due to federalism concerns!

i doubt we get that case, because, regardless of which party is in power, even now, we tend to get mature adults serving in the position of Attorney General, and the senior career types at DOJ actually do care enough about the place to rein in the kind of craziness you see from elected ag governor-wannabes.
The Idaho abortion case got me thinking about the possibility. There's enough federal law out there for the feds to find some plausible reason for supremacy, but Gorsuch might get excited over something a little tilted.

I'm sure you are right though. Feds get deference from the liberal Justices on government programs, and deference from the conservative justices on crime, alleged national security, etc.

Appears real.

This sounds like a screw up at the end of the day. I was mulling whether it might be plausible that, because this was a dig, it was erroneously released as an opinion rather than later in the day with the orders (which might actually be how dig’s are typically announced). While there were two orders issued later today, they were rejecting stays in capital cases.

Last edited:
And a hearty good morning ladies and gentlemen...

Welcome to what looks like a day for administrative law nerds. I'm your host, Alex Trebec. Let's just go all in and guess Jarkesy, Relentless/Loper Bright, Corner Post, and Ohio, leaving everything else for tomorrow.

OK, we've got Ohio, from Gorusch, 5-4 against the agency. Seems like a vanilla "failure to consider a material part of the problem" apa argument, but barrett's dissent suggests otherwise.

And now Purdue Pharma from Gorsuch, also 5-4 with a really weird lineup - the bankruptcy order is overturned. back to the drawing board for the sacklers, the states, and stoners needing services. Bankruptcy court can't discharge claims against nondebtors without consent -- that sounds like a principle that is pretty important for bankruptcy resolutions.

Now Jarkesy from the Chief - this could be interesting. WoW! jury trial right for sec civil penalty enforcement for securities fraud. Gorsuch write separately to underscore other claims around appointments clause and due process. (Note, this could spawn a lot of other litigation about other forms of administrative agency adjudication that sounds in common law, such as the HHS OIG's civil penalty authority when it invokes fraud-based claims).

And finally, the Moyle abortion DIG.

Notably, as the court adjourned for the day, the Chief did not announce that tomorrow will be the last opinion day.

So about 6-8 opinions left, depending on how you count them.

Last edited:
And a hearty good morning ladies and gentlemen...

Welcome to what looks like a day for administrative law nerds. I'm your host, Alex Trebec. Let's just go all in and guess Jarkesy, Relentless/Loper Bright, Corner Post, and Ohio, leaving everything else for tomorrow.

Tomorrow sure to be the last day?

Re: Jarkesy, the R's are probably going to have to put that billion back in the doj's budget, because it's going to take trial lawyers in article iii courts to enforce securities fraud claims.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT