ADVERTISEMENT

The mystery of retired Iowa license plates showing up in New York, resulting in fines to Iowans.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Pretty weird case of plates retired a decade ago in Pottawattamie County registering on traffic cameras in New York, which have resulted in fines of hundreds of dollars to the Iowans who turned those plates in. It's noted that the plates could be fakes, but the county can't seem to confirm the plates were destroyed. I'm also a little confused on why the plates register at all? Every time I turn in a plate the new plate I receive has a different sequence of numerals and letters.
https://www.kcrg.com/2024/07/03/iowa-couple-ticketed-after-old-license-plates-turn-up-nyc/

If these plates are real then Pottawatamie County and/or the Iowa Department of Corrections should be sued.

And the below is a good solution.

“If I turn mine in, I turn them into them but from now on they’ll be cut in half,” Vern Harness said.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Pretty weird case of plates retired a decade ago in Pottawattamie County registering on traffic cameras in New York, which have resulted in fines of hundreds of dollars to the Iowans who turned those plates in. It's noted that the plates could be fakes, but the county can't seem to confirm the plates were destroyed. I'm also a little confused on why the plates register at all? Every time I turn in a plate the new plate I receive has a different sequence of numerals and letters.
https://www.kcrg.com/2024/07/03/iowa-couple-ticketed-after-old-license-plates-turn-up-nyc/
In places like Maryland, people used to use Iowa and other plates to get past required emissions standard tests for cars. This was mandatory for Virginia and Maryland registrations. The same issue also pervades plates from the Dakotas.

If these plates are real then Pottawatamie County and/or the Iowa Department of Corrections should be sued.

And the below is a good solution.

“If I turn mine in, I turn them into them but from now on they’ll be cut in half,” Vern Harness said.
I’m thinking the Legislature will find this act to be in violation of the law….and one night, very late at night, they will pass a new law making destroying your plates illegal and punishable by a fine and jail sentence.

Reactions: lucas80
In places like Maryland, people used to use Iowa and other plates to get past required emissions standard tests for cars. This was mandatory for Virginia and Maryland registrations. The same issue also pervades plates from the Dakotas.

Now they just don't bother doing it or registering the car......just print off some texas or georgia temp plates and they hit the road

Reactions: GOHOX69
I vividly remember a bright orange flash and then thinking "wtf was that?" Then a few weeks later finding a 500 Euro speeding ticket waiting for me in the mail and thinking, "Oh, so that's what that was."
I haven’t had a speeding ticket in the 7 years I’ve lived in Florida.

I get one every time I visit Germany. One was going 7Kph over the speed limit…4Mph. 20 euros

I’d like cameras to be strongly enforced at intersections in the US. Maybe folks wouldn’t consider the yellow light as a go faster signal 😁

I haven’t had a speeding ticket in the 7 years I’ve lived in Florida.

I get one every time I visit Germany. One was going 7Kph over the speed limit…4Mph. 20 euros

I’d like cameras to be strongly enforced at intersections in the US. Maybe folks wouldn’t consider the yellow light as a go faster signal 😁
Roundabout’s solve the speed thru the intersection issue, as well as T bones.

I've had to brake while in a roundabout because a bonehead sped up to get in ahead of me.
Not a perfect thing by any means. Always some fool in a big hurry to go nowhere.

I've had to brake while in a roundabout because a bonehead sped up to get in ahead of me.
Not a perfect thing by any means. Always some fool in a big hurry to go nowhere.
How does that compare to having to deal with boneheads running traffic lights? In my experience, the primary issues in roundabouts revolve around people not moving thru when it is their “turn”.

How does that compare to having to deal with boneheads running traffic lights? In my experience, the primary issues in roundabouts revolve around people not moving thru when it is their “turn”.
My limited experience with roundabouts is mixed; I feel like I need to be semi-aggressive if it is busy and can be stressful. But I do think they do solve the issue you mentioned about reducing the number and severity of intersection accidents.

Reactions: billanole
My limited experience with roundabouts is mixed; I feel like I need to be semi-aggressive if it is busy and can be stressful. But I do think they do solve the issue you mentioned about reducing the number and severity of intersection accidents.
In times of low traffic a major benefit is that no one has to sit for minutes waiting on a stop light with no cross traffic on the horizon.

I’m not a fan of speed cameras but I would like to see more red light cameras. There are three intersections near my house that are becoming a major problem due to people blasting through several seconds after their light has already turned red. There is about one serious accident per week lately and one asshole came within inches of hitting my wife.

It’s reached the point where I don’t even go right away when my light turns green. I look both directions first and when I’m certain that everyone is stopping then I go.

It’s reached the point where I don’t even go right away when my light turns green. I look both directions first and when I’m certain that everyone is stopping then I go.
Had someone almost rear end me at a intersection in Ft Walton because I slowed down when it hit yellow (i was about 100 yds from the intersection) and they apparently sped up. Seen way too many accidents at intersections down here.

Reactions: TJ8869

In Pasco County FL, which is 120% republican, they just barrel into the traffic circle at full speed with no regard for other vehicles or whether or not it is their turn to go. Traffic circles require a level of intelligence and civility that many in this country do not possess.

Reactions: billanole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT