ADVERTISEMENT

The myth that blue states have more crime

200w.gif

Wait. So now it’s “violent crime”. Your link talks about murder.

Here’s the 10 states with most violent crime.

RankStateViolent Crime Rate per 1,000 ResidentsProperty Crime Rate per 1,000 ResidentsChances of Becoming a Victim of a Violent CrimeScaled Score
1New Mexico7.8029.841/128100.00
2Arkansas6.4524.521/15595.13
3Louisiana6.2927.481/15994.51
4Colorado4.9231.481/20392.65
5California4.9923.431/20088.92
6Tennessee6.2223.021/16187.37
7Missouri4.8823.401/20584.16
8South Carolina4.9123.081/20484.06
9Nevada4.5423.801/22082.92
10Alaska7.5917.891/13282.71
Source: Forbes Advisor Embed

Here are the top 10 most dangerous cities to live in.
how did they determine those top 10 dangerous cities? that article generally cites crimes rates (of various kinds) but doesn't show any kind of analysis that leads to the ranking they display.

it then includes a link to a separate article that uses fbi data (from 2019) and completely contradicts the list previously provided (Detroit, #1 most dangerous in the text of the article isn't even in the top 10 in the midwest in the fbi ranking)

I hadn't heard that blue states have stopped responding crime (whatever that means) but could you point to some reporting or facts to back that up?
It's readily available should you go looking, here is an example.

Many Cali cities, NY, and I believe even our beloved Minneapolis had to cut back, could be wrong on MPLS.

You mean inflation down, gas prices down, the stock market the highest in history and the economy according to the WSJ is doing very well.

Uhhh... gas is down? We are on yoyoy inflation above target, that isn't "down" it just means shit isn't rising as fast as it was.

Many Cali cities, NY, and I believe even our beloved Minneapolis had to cut back, could be wrong on MPLS.
you should read the actual sources, not just the shitty article that references it. here's what that pittsburgh press release says (it's not that they just aren't responding to crimes anymore)

• Creation of an enhanced Telephone Reporting Unit (TRU) operating from 7-3 a.m. daily, including weekends. Dispatch will assign reports to the TRU for calls that do not require an in-person response by officers. TRU will NOT be assigned to any "In Progress" call where a suspect may be on scene, any crime where a person may need medical aid, any domestic dispute, calls with evidence, or where the Mobile Crime Unit will be requested to process a scene
here's the full press release, in case any one cares what it actually says (instead of what people wish it said)

you should read the actual sources, not just the shitty article that references it. here's what that pittsburgh press release says (it's not that they just aren't responding to crimes anymore)

• Creation of an enhanced Telephone Reporting Unit (TRU) operating from 7-3 a.m. daily, including weekends. Dispatch will assign reports to the TRU for calls that do not require an in-person response by officers. TRU will NOT be assigned to any "In Progress" call where a suspect may be on scene, any crime where a person may need medical aid, any domestic dispute, calls with evidence, or where the Mobile Crime Unit will be requested to process a scene
here's the full press release, in case any one cares what it actually says (instead of what people wish it said)
Exactly. So if a crime happens but isn't active they just take a report. Next thing you know it's 3 days later and the black eye doesn't hurt as bad and suddenly I don't want to file the report because snitches get stitches. Hey look, it never happened!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Mpchillin
Exactly. So if a crime happens but isn't active they just take a report. Next thing you know it's 3 days later and the black eye doesn't hurt as bad and suddenly I don't want to file the report because snitches get stitches. Hey look, it never happened!!!
that's for one specific special unit that's created for specific types of calls/reports

it's not for the whole police department

great first example though

It was two different sites. I did it because OP posted an article about murder rates and then talked about “violent crime” rates. As if they are the same thing. So I helped by posting violent crime stats for states and then cities.

What’s the problem? You obviously do t have a problem with all of the inconsistencies with the OP and the point he’s trying to make.
if the murder rates reflect the violent crimes rates, is there really an issue?

I wonder how many people in this thread actually know how to access legitimate data on crime? And if so, have ever bothered to study it?

if the murder rates reflect the violent crimes rates, is there really an issue?
But it doesn't.
Top 5 murder states are
  1. Mississippi
  2. Louisiana
  3. Alabama
  4. New Mexico
  5. South Carolina
Top 5 Violent Crime rate states are
1. New Mexico
2. Arkansas
3. Louisiana
4. Colorado
5. California

Now...does this really matter to me? No. But I'm not the one here trying to prove that one side is worse than the other when it comes to this shit. Seems weird to compare murder rates between Jax and SF, then talk about violent crime rates as if they're the same while completely ignoring the comparison there between the states of Florida and Cali. You know...cherry picking.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
Can confirm Memphis has plenty of crime, but is historically democrat in a red state.

Memphis crime is driven by poverty and a horrible justice system that is lazy, corrupt, and is “catch and release”. How much of that is political or just baked into the system is up for debate

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
I've provided a link for Pittsburgh and there are multiple other examples.
that "pittsburgh link" is a complete misrepresentation

i guess that's your thing...present a random article with a misrepresented source and then, once shown to be a misrepresentation, just say other people should do your research for you

Also, maybe I don't politic enough, but when was there a Myth about Blue/Red State crime? Hasn't the conversation always revolved at the City level?

Reactions: Chuck C
that "pittsburgh link" is a complete misrepresentation

i guess that's your thing...present a random article with a misrepresented source and then, once shown to be a misrepresentation, just say other people should do your research for you
If I find you 3 places, in dem states, that have all made LEO changes that will reduce the number of interactions they do, which will lower the number of records created, will you admit your an idiot and do your own HW next time?

If I find you 3 places, in dem states, that have all made LEO changes that will reduce the number of interactions they do, which will lower the number of records created, will you admit your an idiot and do your own HW next time?
i don't have to do homework because i'm not the one making claims that i can't back up

i'm just able to read the actual sources of the "articles" (term used very loosely) you're linking to that are making claims not backed up by those same sources

i don't have to do homework because i'm not the one making claims that i can't back up

i'm just able to read the actual sources of the "articles" (term used very loosely) you're linking to that are making claims not backed up by those same sources
It's a yes or no question bud.

It's a yes or no question bud.
well then, no

because your inability to (so far, at least) provide links to show claims that you have made is no reflection on me

the only claim i've made is that your pittsburgh link does not show the pittsburgh police department say they "have stopped responding to crime, going so far as to cancel response hours"

that's not what that press release says. that's not a matter of opinion or conjecture. that is fact

Reactions: BGHAWK

well then, no

because your inability to (so far, at least) provide links to show claims that you have made is no reflection on me

the only claim i've made is that your pittsburgh link does not show the pittsburgh police department say they "have stopped responding to crime, going so far as to cancel response hours"

that's not what that press release says. that's not a matter of opinion or conjecture. that is fact
Read this, their goal is to reduce calls taken from 200k to 50k, you don't think thats going to.impact the number of reports?

Read this, their goal is to reduce calls taken from 200k to 50k, you don't think thats going to.impact the number of reports?

you started this with saying they weren't responding to or pursuing crime...you've also said they aren't pursuing assaults

all of these links show that to simply not be true

i dont' know why (well...i have an idea) you continue to link to random blogs instead of the actual reporting.

notice the first sentence in the blog you linked to:
In response to the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police’s “seriously understaffed force,” the department recently announced that police officers will no longer respond to certain calls labeled “in-progress emergencies,” such as harassment, theft, and burglary alarms.

and the difference in the actual reporting:
Beginning Monday, Pittsburgh police won’t respond to any calls that aren’t in progress emergencies.

you see the discrepancy in those two things, right? and how neither of them says crime (or specifically assault) is not being pursued or responded to (your initial claims)?

yes, pittsburgh is dealing with staffing shortages and is prioritizing certain types of calls (ones that are not in-progress emergencies). that seems reasonable to me. if that makes you think i'm an idiot...i'm completely fine with that

It didn't say they stopped responding to assaults. You made that claim. In the end you have nothing but your misguided opinion.

Reactions: funksouljon
It's you're dummy. If you call someone an idiot you might want to get the words right.

False but you know that. Property crime is bad in all cities. Not just blue or red ones.

I figured there would be some excuse to spin the facts. You can't fake murder numbers nor can you omit them,
Well, if property crime is bad in all cities (which is probably correct), what are the reason(s) behind it and how do we fix it?

You mean inflation down, gas prices down, the stock market the highest in history and the economy according to the WSJ is doing very well.
Have you looked at the stock market so far in April? Yikes. I don’t think the stock market is specifically related to politics, but consumer confidence in the economy is a big part of it. Numerous polls indicate that voters have more confidence in Trump policies vs Biden policies regarding the economy.

• Haha
Reactions: Flie and Tom Paris
NBC, CBS and ABC are held to higher federal standards.
However, they are still “left leaning” in their reporting. It may not always be that the “facts” are slanted by NBC, CBS, and ABC but that they just don’t even report on some issues. For instance, how long did it take b4 those news agencies even discussed the Hunter Biden situation, or the border concerns?

However, they are still “left leaning” in their reporting. It may not always be that the “facts” are slanted by NBC, CBS, and ABC but that they just don’t even report on some issues. For instance, how long did it take b4 those news agencies even discussed the Hunter Biden situation, or the border concerns?
The border concerns are legit but what about Hunter Biden? That has been a joke.

Reactions: Tom Paris
You don't watch them obviously so how in the hell would you know?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT