ADVERTISEMENT

The new King of nepotism

BonzoFury

HR All-American
Feb 4, 2022
Could be on the basketball thread (surprised no one has commented) but it ties back to BFz. Bronny James' contract..what a joke.

Last edited:
Could be on the basketball thread (surprised no one has commented) but it ties back to BFz. Bronny James' contract..what a joke.
For comparison sake Luka was drafted 3 spots earlier than Bronny. Came in with a tons of college accolades. Works his butt off reshaping his body, improve 3 pt shot and grinds away in the league on multiple 2 way deals first 3 years. Dominates the G league while down there and rewarded with a 2 yr deal this off season. Nepo baby bronny who accomplished nothing and came off the bench with pedestrian numbers for a sub .500 team gets a 4 year deal right off the bat.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Not nepotism. Neither one is on the coaching staff. I speculate that Lebron took a pay cut to increase his son's pay. No biggie.

Bronny's contract is actually on par with other 2nd round picks.

He has the talent to make the league. 40 inch vertical.

You have to remember he was coming off a heart attack before the season and was playing with a couple other ball-dominant scorers at USC. Scoring won't be his role in the league

Reactions: bojihawk44

You have to remember he was coming off a heart attack before the season and was playing with a couple other ball-dominant scorers at USC. Scoring won't be his role in the league
Oh, of course, let me jump on the 4 year deal with that

Oh, of course, let me jump on the 4 year deal with that
Granted, Bronny probably wouldn't have been drafted this season if not for LeBron. But eventually he would have.

I'm not bothered by it. Nor was I bothered by Brian's promotion to OC, although I wasn't much of a fan of him as an OC

Reactions: icwesthawk
The Lakers are nuts and stupid.

They re-upped LeBron for 2 years at the max, to ensure him the chance to play with his kid.

LBJ is not worth $52M/year, or $104M for 2 seasons, at this point in his life/career. He just ain't. Sorry kiddos.

Not nepotism. Neither one is on the coaching staff. I speculate that Lebron took a pay cut to increase his son's pay. No biggie.

Technically no, he's not the hiring manager on paper. He didn't "give" him a job...but he certainly "got" him a job. You have to be naive to think he didn't use his power and influence to make it happen. "You wanna keep me, here's what you're gonna do."

He also didn't take a pay cut, they just signed him for the MAX.

Last edited:
Reactions: sober_teacher
Technically no, he's not the "hiring manager" on paper. He didn't "give" him a job...but he certainly "got" him a job. You have to be naive to think he didn't use his power and influence to make it happen. "You wanna keep me, here's what you're gonna do."

He also didn't take a pay cut, they just signed him for the MAX.
Looks like you are correct about max pay. I had recalled he was willing to take a pay cut. That didn't happen.

No it is not. Guys taken in the late 2nd in the 50s don’t get 4 years guaranteed. Look at JoeW take early 2nd. Gone after a year in SA. And a lot of guards have good verticals these days. But he’s 6’1 not a PG and an inconsistent shooter. That’s not a recipe for success in the league. You don’t hand out 4 year deals to late 2nd rd picks like this or in general.

Let’s not kid ourselves he’s not getting a 4,3 or 2 year deal if his name was Bronny Smith let alone drafted.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Granted, Bronny probably wouldn't have been drafted this season if not for LeBron. But eventually he would have.

I'm not bothered by it. Nor was I bothered by Brian's promotion to OC, although I wasn't much of a fan of him as an OC
I do t agree with this at all. His lateral quickness is average. He is under 6'2 and has has no elite skill.

He will never be a solid NBA player, IMO. We will see soon enough.

No it is not. Guys taken in the late 2nd in the 50s don’t get 4 years guaranteed. Look at JoeW take early 2nd. Gone after a year in SA. And a lot of guards have good verticals these days. But he’s 6’1 not a PG and an inconsistent shooter. That’s not a recipe for success in the league. You don’t hand out 4 year deals to late 2nd rd picks like this or in general.

Let’s not kid ourselves he’s not getting a 4,3 or 2 year deal if his name was Bronny Smith let alone drafted.
I do t agree with this at all. His lateral quickness is average. He is under 6'2 and has has no elite skill.

He will never be a solid NBA player, IMO. We will see soon enough.
Ok, I see now that it is guaranteed, so you are correct. It was not originally disclosed to be guaranteed money.

Still not a big deal to me. It makes sense from a marketing perspective. And most second round picks don't make the league anyway, so it's not like there are really any victims in this.

Bronny's game is still developing. Again, pretty good athleticism and defender, high basketball IQ, good work ethic, and a nice shooting touch, although he is not yet a knockdown shooter.

He is a fringe NBA player, in my opinion. For these type of guys fit is very important. Being that he's with a team that's invested in his development, my guess is that Bronny will stick in the NBA as a legitimate player

Reactions: Fan In Black
Ok, I see now that it is guaranteed, so you are correct. It was not originally disclosed to be guaranteed money.

Still not a big deal to me. It makes sense from a marketing perspective. And most second round picks don't make the league anyway, so it's not like there are really any victims in this.

Bronny's game is still developing. Again, pretty good athleticism and defender, high basketball IQ, good work ethic, and a nice shooting touch, although he is not yet a knockdown shooter.

He is a fringe NBA player, in my opinion. For these type of guys fit is very important. Being that he's with a team that's invested in his development, my guess is that Bronny will stick in the NBA as a legitimate player
Bottom line: He would not have been drafted if Dad didn't make it happen.

How do these players pass their physicals? Reminds me of Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT