ADVERTISEMENT

The Open Championship

Yep. If you miss the fairway and end up in a bunker, just take your one-stroke penalty and move on to the next hole, especially on day one or two.
I forget which British Open it was, but one of my favorite wins by Tiger was a year where he recognized quickly that staying in the fairway was paramount, even at the expense of distance. So he hit his more reliable 3 wood off the tee most of the time.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
I forget which British Open it was, but one of my favorite wins by Tiger was a year where he recognized quickly that staying in the fairway was paramount, even at the expense of distance. So he hit his more reliable 3 wood off the tee most of the time.
That was before I had kids and still played golf. I follow his lead and starting leaving my driver in the trunk. Probably averaged two strokes better per 9 holes. 250 on or near the fairway is better than being in the deep rough or adjacent fairway.

Yep, 2006 he only used the driver one time in 72 holes.
Wow, I didn’t realize it was only the one time.

Bizarre to me how too many pro golfers get hung up on distance over all else off the tee. Not the least of the reasons I was never as big a fan of Phil was that he rarely played smart.

Postage Stamp is very challenging today

Phil almost aced 5

Even the first 4 holes are playing tough

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT