ADVERTISEMENT

The other passengers should be able to lawfully punch these people in the face....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002

20 Passengers Use Wheelchairs To Board Early On Southwest, Then Walk Off The Aircraft Fine On Arrival​

by Gary Leff on June 26, 2023

If you need assistance contact your airline in advance and they’ll arrange for a wheelchair. There’s officially no cost for the service although in most U.S. airports the people pushing make much of their money on tips. It’s never clear the right amount to tip. Some feel $5 is appropriate, others tip $20. There’s no medical verification needed to request this. And some people ask for the service who don’t, strictly speak, ‘need it’.

When a flight has numerous passengers with wheelchair assistance on boarding, and then most of those passengers get off themselves and walk out of the terminal – walking right past the waiting wheelchairs on the jet bridge – it’s known as a “miracle flight.” Here’s one recent Southwest Airlines flight where 20 passengers used wheelchairs to board, and only 3 used them to get off. 17 passengers experienced an inflight miracle.

Let’s be clear: there are certainly cases where someone might need assistance on boarding and not deplaning. But that’s also highly unlikely to be the case for 17 passengers (85% of those needing wheelchair assistance) here.

In addition to the medicinal benefits of flying that cures these passengers, explanations may include a desire for:

• Better seating which is unique to Southwest. You’re going to get a better deal tipping a wheelchair attendant than buying Early Bird Check-in in order to get a better seat.
  • Access to overhead bin space. If you’ve got a late boarding group there may not be overhead bin space. But board with a wheelchair and you go on early, bin space is yours.

• Free carry on with a basic economy fareon United. If you need priority boarding assistance you aren’t in the last boarding group, and the full-sized carry on ban on the cheapest tickets is enforced by boarding group.

• Priority check-in and security. But if you’re savvy enough to ask for a wheelchair you are savvy enough to get PreCheck and check-in online and do bag drop.
Since the biggest benefit – seat selection, in addition to airport priority – comes when flying Southwest, it’s little surprise this is noted most in social media with Southwest flights.

The reason this concerns me is that people asking for wheelchair assistance who do not need it prevents or delays people who do need assistance from getting it. If everyone at the gate showed up needing early boarding it would defeat the purpose of early boarding (‘if everyone gets early boarding then no one does’).

vincent price poe GIF

Start auditing flights. Identify those that needed a wheelchair to get on and none to get off.

If it’s you, and you don’t provide a doctor’s note, pay a fine off ? times the airfare in order to fly on the airline again.
I say if you use a wheel chair to get on the plane then you must use one to get off and wait till everyone has deplaned before you get off. This should stop this deplorable act.

Did they do this to board early, or not have to walk to the plane? I can't for the life of me figure out why people like to get on a plane right away. You'll find me in the bar until they call my name.

Overhead storage, seat selection (on Southwest anyway), and getting off the plane first.

Your thoughts are stupid.
This isn’t a law problem. It’s a people problem, and possibly a Southwest implementation issue.

Southwest (and any other airline or the airport authorities) is not allowed to require medical documentation before giving passengers the "wheelchair red carpet treatment"...

That is an easy problem for Congress to fix.

Reactions: seminoleed
I feel this is all exaggerated or made up. The special lady friend broke her ankle 3 days before we flew to Florida one year. There was NO extra assistance thrown her way at all. The airline had a gate agent go get us a house wheelchair from wherever the airport keeps them and said there you go and left. TSA even made her stand up and hop on one leg through the metal detector. Seriously. So I guess there was some assistance that she wasn't forced to stand flat footed on a surgically repaired ankle in the body scanner.... On a break that required surgery 3 days prior. We turned 40 this year but we she was probably 36 or 37 when it happened. WTF is the threshold by which common sense takes over and she stays in the goddamn wheelchair. 50? 60? 80?

Reactions: The Tradition
I feel this is all exaggerated or made up. The special lady friend broke her ankle 3 days before we flew to Florida one year. There was NO extra assistance thrown her way at all. The airline had a gate agent go get us a house wheelchair from wherever the airport keeps them and said there you go and left. TSA even made her stand up and hop on one leg through the metal detector. Seriously. So I guess there was some assistance that she wasn't forced to stand flat footed on a surgically repaired ankle in the body scanner.... On a break that required surgery 3 days prior. We turned 40 this year but we she was probably 36 or 37 when it happened. WTF is the threshold by which common sense takes over and she stays in the goddamn wheelchair. 50? 60? 80?

Did she walk out of the airport at her destination?

We can thank the Americans with Disabilities Act for this.

Actual disabled people should be allowed to punch these people in the face.

No, you can thank Southwest’s stupid boarding process of not assigning seats for this

The adults in the room assign seats and ensure its best customers get on early enough to get a spot for their carryon in the overhead, regardless of where they’re sitting

No, you can thank Southwest’s stupid boarding process of not assigning seats for this

The adults in the room assign seats and ensure its best customers get on early enough to get a spot for their carryon in the overhead, regardless of where they’re sitting

Free carry on with a basic economy fare on United. If you need priority boarding assistance you aren’t in the last boarding group, then the full-sized carry on ban on the cheapest tickets is enforced by boarding group.

You’re missing some punctuation or words there, Trad, that are necessary to understand your point

Either way, I don’t know what United’s boarding process is like for basic economy

Southwest (and any other airline or the airport authorities) is not allowed to require medical documentation before giving passengers the "wheelchair red carpet treatment"...

That is an easy problem for Congress to fix.

As an example, if you don't have an obvious impairment (like a cast, or you're ancient, or you're a amputee) then the airline should be able to require a doctor's note. This isn't hard.

Reactions: seminoleed
You’re missing some punctuation or words there, Trad, that are necessary to understand your point

Either way, I don’t know what United’s boarding process is like for basic economy

I just copied and pasted from the article in the OP. I will assume that "ViewFromTheWing.com" knows United's rules.

This scam also gives you a guaranteed seat at the gate while you're waiting for the flight to board (which isn't always something that's available).

Flew Allegiant on Sunday, pulled up to the gate and three or four people from the back of the plane sprinted up the aisle as soon as we got to the gate. My wife said she is seeing this more often when she travels.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
Flew Allegiant on Sunday, pulled up to the gate and three or four people from the back of the plane sprinted up the aisle as soon as we got to the gate. My wife said she is seeing this more often when she travels.

I’ve been seeing this more. I fully support making flying more expensive, tax it more and earmark it for more highway lanes or public transit for all I care

Yep, this is getting bad. I’ve seen it a ton lately too.

Now that I think about this more, what does the "deplaning" wheelchair crew do?

Do they take you down to the baggage check and wait for your bags to show up? Do they help you with your bags? I mean, you're in a wheelchair and can't drag your bags yourself.

And even if they do that, what's next? They dump you in the the Uber/Lyft/Taxi pool and leave you there with your bags?

Damn, being disabled must suck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT