ADVERTISEMENT

The Price of Gasoline….

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
As I crossed America and filled my tank in Iowa, Mizzery, Kansas, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona….Iowa’s prices are lowest (because of the states ethanol subsidy, running about $2.55/ gallon…and the clear winner is Arizona…in rural areas it runs right at $3/gallin but in Phoenix some places offer it at $3.40/ fallon but most run $3.60…. Any reason why Az gas is so much more expensive than the other states? And why is Phoenix gas so expensive??

Reactions: kkhawk and Moral
As I crossed America and filled my tank in Iowa, Mizzery, Kansas, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona….Iowa’s prices are lowest (because of the states ethanol subsidy, running about $2.55/ gallon…and the clear winner is Arizona…in rural areas it runs right at $3/gallin but in Phoenix some places offer it at $3.40/ fallon but most run $3.60…. Any reason why Az gas is so much more expensive than the other states? And why is Phoenix gas so expensive??

A few quick guesses, you will always pay more in a major metro area for a variety of reasons such as Libs ruin everything, higher transportation costs... I also wonder if there are more stringent formulation standards due to air pollution concerns, like CA?

Reactions: Moral and Huey Grey
The state has unique fuel requirements: Arizona requires a particular oil blend of gasoline to meet air quality regulations, which results in more expensive gas.

• Love
Reactions: Sharky1203
State gas taxes are the biggest component, but distance from a pipe line is huge. Once delivery by a truck is baked in, costs escalate. Rural areas pay the most.
Dunno about why Phoenix is so high, likely low supply high demand.

• Love
Reactions: Sharky1203
424989222_10223683717628598_6621732639488155551_n.jpg

And Florida has higher gas taxes than most states.
It’s gotta be state taxes, I think. And both Az and Fla soak tourists for every cent they can….I have never heard anyone say they aren’t taking a vacation because the gasoline or hotel/motel tax is too high….I have a cousin who is a Az resident who admits much of that state’s “special funding” (football and baseball stadium funding for example) was financed by raising the H/M tax and rental car franchise taxes….No resident is going oppose money gifted them by tourists….

Reactions: billanole
It’s gotta be state taxes, I think. And both Az and Fla soak tourists for every cent they can….I have never heard anyone say they aren’t taking a vacation because the gasoline or hotel/motel tax is too high….I have a cousin who is a Az resident who admits much of that state’s “special funding” (football and baseball stadium funding for example) was financed by raising the H/M tax and rental car franchise taxes….No resident is going oppose money gifted them by tourists….

With hotels you really don't notice the taxes until you get your folio at the end of the stay.

Often times there's a whole slew of taxes... state tax, county tax, city tax, special taxing district tax....

Reactions: CaboKP and lucas80
With hotels you really don't notice the taxes until you get your folio at the end of the stay.

Often times there's a whole slew of taxes... state tax, county tax, city tax, special taxing district tax....

Easiest tax in the world to pass, because your constituents don’t pay it.

As a state with no income tax, I would expect Florida to have higher excise and other taxes to make up for it.

Arizona state gas tax is 18 cents. It’s due to a combination of a special formulated gas requirement and greed.

I was going to explain Arizona, but the internet does it better.

First, Arizona has no refineries of its own, so all gas has to be delivered from out-of-state refiners. Second, the Environmental Protection Agency and state regulations require a special blend of oxygenated gasoline called Clean Burning Gas, or CBG, in Maricopa County to help keep down air pollution in metro Phoenix.

Reactions: lucas80
Creeping back up in northwest Iowa. 2.99 yesterday.

Last edited:
I'm down south of Queens Creek and buying gas for 2.75. As an added bonus there's a guy selling ammo out of the back of his pickup right next door. Big gun show coming too...

Seems normal for 'Merica. Especially considering anyone with a no contact order is not allowed to posses ammunition

I'm not the one uptight about the price of gas in Arizona. Do you have a suite on the 16th hole of the WWM? Don't throw full cans if there is a hole in one. Pebble Beach moved to Monday because of rain and 60 mph gusts. Clark could have shot a 58 easy on Saturday. One turn of the ball on two holes...Looks like rain...

I'm not the one uptight about the price of gas in Arizona. Do you have a suite on the 16th hole of the WWM? Don't throw full cans if there is a hole in one. Pebble Beach moved to Monday because of rain and 60 mph gusts. Clark could have shot a 58 easy on Saturday. One turn of the ball on two holes...Looks like rain...
Me uptight? Nope…. Curious as to why gas in Phoenix would be $1 gallon more than in DSM… really hadn’t noticed that large a price difference here in previous trips but I haven’t been here in 5 years or so. Maybe Az needs to use ethanol! We could send you Kim for a while if you want?!

Me uptight? Nope…. Curious as to why gas in Phoenix would be $1 gallon more than in DSM… really hadn’t noticed that large a price difference here in previous trips but I haven’t been here in 5 years or so. Maybe Az needs to use ethanol! We could send you Kim for a while if you want?!

My Gas Buddy app has several locations in Phoenix with prices around $2.80ish. Maybe just some bad dumb luck on your part.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT