ADVERTISEMENT

The significance of a Natty @ Iowa

BonzoFury

HR All-American
Feb 4, 2022
University of Iowa athletics has captured 26 official NCAA National Championships in team sports. 11 others not officially recognized by the NCAA.

Wrestling - 24
Women's Field Hockey - 1
Men's gymnastics - 1

Non "official" NCAA titles:
Football - 5
Men's Rifle - 5
Women's track and field - 1

If Bluder's team can close the deal tomorrow...it will be a huge moment in Hawkeye sports. Huge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Hawkeyes

University of Iowa athletics has captured 26 official NCAA National Championships in team sports. 11 others not officially recognized by the NCAA.

Wrestling - 24
Women's Field Hockey - 1
Men's gymnastics - 1

Football - 5
Men's Rifle - 5

If Bluder's team can close the deal tomorrow...it will be a huge moment in Hawkeye sports. Huge.

I would hope that it would show Barta/Ferentz that it is possible at Iowa to achieve more than mediocrity. And show McCaffery that Iowa fans will show up for a team that earns it.

Wrestling - 24
Women's Field Hockey - 1
Men's gymnastics - 1

Football - 5
Men's Rifle - 5

BTW, this places IOWA 23rd among NCAA programs with the most team Championships. Thank you, Dan Gable.

Last edited:
I would hope that it would show Barta/Ferentz that it is possible at Iowa to achieve more than mediocrity. And show McCaffery that Iowa fans will show up for a team that earns it.
I get your point, BUT I just can't go along with the"mediocrity" rap at Kirk. I get being upset about the offense and its lack of production, BUT the goal is still to win period and thats something that Iowa has been a top 5 B1G team in wins and top 20 nationlly over the last decade plus, period. Thats NOT mediocre. If your claim is that if we don't win a Natty then we're mediocre then so are 95% of all college teams the last 20 years. Its kind of hard to say everyone is mediocre. By definition thats not possible.
Also some context. We are where we are today because of Clark, period, end of story. Yes Bluder has grown a team concept and plan around her, and she should be commended for that, BUT there's a world of difference between ONE singular generational talent, and the effect they can have in a 5 on 5 sport and what football requires to win at that level. Apples to watermelons comparison. Now if you want to get on Frans ass for HAVING a Luka, and a Keegan and doing nothing in the tourney with them, I get that argument totally.

I get your point, BUT I just can't go along with the"mediocrity" rap at Kirk. I get being upset about the offense and its lack of production, BUT the goal is still to win period and thats something that Iowa has been a top 5 B1G team in wins and top 20 nationlly over the last decade plus, period. Thats NOT mediocre. If your claim is that if we don't win a Natty then we're mediocre then so are 95% of all college teams the last 20 years. Its kind of hard to say everyone is mediocre. By definition thats not possible.
Also some context. We are where we are today because of Clark, period, end of story. Yes Bluder has grown a team concept and plan around her, and she should be commended for that, BUT there's a world of difference between ONE singular generational talent, and the effect they can have in a 5 on 5 sport and what football requires to win at that level. Apples to watermelons comparison. Now if you want to get on Frans ass for HAVING a Luka, and a Keegan and doing nothing in the tourney with them, I get that argument totally.
Thanks for the extremely rational comment re FB and BB teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT