ADVERTISEMENT

The State of Missouri just murdered someone

Link to the victim’s family saying he was innocent? My understanding is they believe he was guilty but wanted him to serve life in prison.

The guy was already going to spend most of his life in prison for unrelated burglary convictions. The state should have just left him in jail.
I posted that before reading the actual article.

Reactions: TJ8869
I look at "12 Angry Men" for stuff like this.

Never once, in the end, they say the young boy was guilty of the murder or not guilty. They simply looked at the facts and collectively agreed they all had reasonable doubt with what was presented to them. They very well let a guilty boy free, but they did due process and found that the evidence provided wasn't conclusive enough for a guilty verdict. No guilty verdict "unless absolutely sure".

It's very possible Williams committed the murder. Or had a hand in it. Or didn't do it at all. We don't know. It looked conclusive, until it wasn't. There was evidence to the contrary, so in due law, Williams should've had a stay of execution. Point blank, Missouri wanted to kill a black man. And they did. And they'll get away with it. For how disappointing this is for Williams who was never given his rights for this, this disregard of the law will continue in Missouri. Perhaps Iowa next.

I understand; you're mad that a black man was defended here.
"They all look alike" and it just doesn't matter if we "got the right guy", because all of them are committing crimes, anyway...
Why are you quoting me and posting this garbage?

Alabama is probably going to execute a man with a long, well documented history of mental illness today. I don't see the value in this. Did he kill people, yes. Does society get safer or better, no. Alabama will be taking a second run at using nitrogen gas as their method of education. The first use resulted in the condemned writhing on the gurney for 2 minutes, and the autopsy indicated he slowly suffocated.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ne-miller-nitrogen-gas-execution/75108899007/

Reactions: sober_teacher
I’m as big a proponent of the death penalty as you’ll find on this board, and I just don’t understand any of this.

Why wouldn’t the Governor commute his sentence to life in prison? There were serious questions in this case. Just about everyone involved asked that he not be executed.

This is the perfect example of a state that clearly isn’t trustworthy of having and administering the death penalty.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn

You shouldn’t compare the two cases. This couple should never have been charged with anything, that was beyond absurd. So the pardon makes tot sense.

I definitely favor the death penalty but only when it is obvious and no doubt. For example, OJ was guilty as hell but I would not have sentenced him to death. As positive as I am of his guilt there is still a chance he didn’t do it, no matter how small. That is enough for me to go with life in prison.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT