ADVERTISEMENT

The US cattle herd is at it's lowest size since 1951

Lots of culled cattle, high prices on pound cattle in the fall, with high feed and drought conditions a lot sold off. I’ll tell you this much, I’m not worried about my cattle farmers for next 3 years, I am about my high leveraged row croppers.
Man it could get ugly. We’re not going to see 80’s level interest rates but the guys who accrued all this debt thinking $7 corn would last forever are going to be in a world of hurt.

Calculate Zach Galifianakis GIF
According to a professor on Peter Attila’s podcast, without livestock converting plant energy into protein, we would all be super protein deficient. As this pertains to health, eating at a .7 to 1.2 grams per pound of ideal body weight, seems to be ideal. Think of muscle as your longevity organ, acting like a storage shed for glucose, making you more insulin sensitive.

Down 2 percent from last year, and 5 straight years of decline. The calf crop is at its lowest since 1948. Prices for beef will remain stable for now, but are expected to rise in the Fall. Feed usage is up for now, but expected to fall, affecting farmers who count on supplying cattle with feed.
Not linking, the Iowa Farm Bureau Spokesman doesn't make that easy. Their article does not give reasons as to why farmers are not holding herd size stable, or increasing herd size. I believe 6 months or so ago when the last US herd report was released prolonged drought was blamed as the principle reason for the declines.
Beef consumption is unhealthy for you any way. ;)

According to a professor on Peter Attila’s podcast, without livestock converting plant energy into protein, we would all be super protein deficient. As this pertains to health, eating at a .7 to 1.2 grams per pound of ideal body weight, seems to be ideal. Think of muscle as your longevity organ, acting like a storage shed for glucose, making you more insulin sensitive.
I’ve been eating a plant based diet for 6 years now and I don’t have a protein deficiency.

Man it could get ugly. We’re not going to see 80’s level interest rates but the guys who accrued all this debt thinking $7 corn would last forever are going to be in a world of hurt.
Not 80’s unless massive catastrophe. Too many farmers with money and no banks that will go under, they have been trying to de-risk since 2019. . Several farmers were living on borrowed time in 2020, then Covid money and high grain prices came in. A few righted their ship. Most did not.

Reactions: Mayland
Folks who thought $7 corn would last forever just were not very smart folks, Mayland. People take risks (financial) all the time and sometimes they get burned. It’s called Capitalism.

Reactions: Mayland
Part of the blame in the recent past can be traced to the ethanol industry.
When corn prices were higher recently because a significant percentage was going towards fuel production, many livestock enterprises simply went out of business because feed input prices were too high.

Unlike raising hogs, that has a shorter birth to processor timeline, getting back into raising cattle isn't the quick turnaround.
Once out of cattle production, you don't typically return.

How much quinoa do you need to get 200 grams of complete protein a day? I’ve used hemp, pea, whey, etc. Meat is just the easiest, and often
times, cheapest per gram of protein.
On a caloric basis, you’d have to consume about 3-4 times the amount of quinoa compared to beef to get the same amount of protein. That number will be higher for certain essential amino acids.
And most cattle is raised on land not suitable for crop production.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
So, are we importing lots more beef?

Argentina and Venezuela should have low prices since their currencies have collapsed. Are we buying anything from South America?

Last edited:
I’ve been eating a plant based diet for 6 years now and I don’t have a protein deficiency.
I think he’s talking about a global scale, i.e. if the entire human population went to a plant-based diet. There’s not enough arable land in the world to accomplish this.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I think he’s talking about a global scale, i.e. if the entire human population went to a plant-based diet. There’s not enough arable land in the world to accomplish this.
I don’t believe that’s true at all. Can you provide any links to back up your claim?

I don’t believe that’s true at all. Can you provide any links to back up your claim?
I’m just thinking it out logically. It would be an extremely complicated model, but I’ll see if anybody’s published anything on it. If not, I’ll try to back up my claim with some numbers. Stay tuned. Ha ha.

I’m just thinking it out logically. It would be an extremely complicated model, but I’ll see if anybody’s published anything on it. If not, I’ll try to back up my claim with some numbers. Stay tuned. Ha ha.
The highest percentage of land use in the world is for raising livestock and growing the food they eat. Most of the caloric and protein intake of food is plant based across the world, though. Imagine if you reduce the livestock land use and convert it to growing food that will feed more people for cheaper.

I, like InsaneHawkJJP, have been eating plant based for almost 7 years. I consume more than enough protein on a daily basis and don't miss eating animal products at all. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to commit to this lifestyle, just have to have willpower and a wife(no pics) that is handy in the kitchen.

Global-land-use-breakdown_12544.webp

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
The highest percentage of land use in the world is for raising livestock and growing the food they eat. Most of the caloric and protein intake of food is plant based across the world, though. Imagine if you reduce the livestock land use and convert it to growing food that will feed more people for cheaper.

I, like InsaneHawkJJP, have been eating plant based for almost 7 years. I consume more than enough protein on a daily basis and don't miss eating animal products at all. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to commit to this lifestyle, just have to have willpower and a wife(no pics) that is handy in the kitchen.

Global-land-use-breakdown_12544.webp
Thanks for sharing this. I was going to do some research on that this morning.

Today, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) runs more than 150 programs that provide direct subsidies and indirect support to farm businesses. Most direct subsidies are for large producers of corn, soybeans, wheat, cotton, and rice—not for livestock producers or fruit and vegetable growers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT