ADVERTISEMENT

The worst humans--help if you can--Iowa City Animal Shelter

If I lived in IC I absolutely would. We just rescued a beautiful abused poodle two weeks ago whose owner is apparently in prison. He is a joy and the most loving dog I have ever met, but an absolute basket case. He was skin and bones when we got him and if you even wave a hand near him he cowers and shakes. I have to keep my voice low and calm at all times.

People who abuse animals are literally the worst type of people.

The public needs to start looking in the mirror for the root cause of why these things keep happening.
The high demand for these doodle dogs within a certain segment of the population. Make sure your dog comes from a reputable breeder. Go look at the breeders facilities, and even if the dogs a purebreed, unless you are showing it or hunting it, get it fixed. Mandatory spayed and neuter is the only answer to the problem.

It is just like the high demand for PItbull type dogs among the nations trailer trash.

We were at the vet the other day with our cat, who is pretty sick... all of a sudden a Dubuque park ranger comes flying up in his truck and pulls a dog wrapped up in a towel and rushes him into a back room. Yesterday Dubuque paper had story about dog that got tied up outside at a guy's place with no water, he left for at least 4 hours to go do laundry, and dog died at vet. We're doing everything we can to help our kitty, and scum like that did everything to kill his dog....I don't have the words to say what I'd like to do to that mf.

Thanks to @GOHOX69 for posting this. I almost did last night, but thought it might be a little too local. 130 dogs is a lot. I don’t know if it was a hoarder or a breeder. It does appear that law enforcement is looking into this situation.
However, as I have posted many times Iowa is neck and neck with Missouri for having the most s***hole puppy mills in the US. And, Kimmie has made it harder and harder along with the legislature for people to investigate, and charges to be brought forward in a move to protect big animal breeding operations.
Deplorable.

Reactions: GOHOX69 and mphawk
Does the Shelter allow people to take on fosters, to alleviate the #'s of animals they have?

I used to foster Weims out here with the Mile High Weim rescue, before I got my dog. He was fine with them as a puppy, but now is too alpha/reactive for dogs that come with their own sets of issues. So, have to wait until he heads on up to doggie Heaven to foster any more of them.

I had one beautiful blue Weim that came with a laundry list of "issues", none of which were actually legit. Poor dude was a "submission pee-er", so anytime any dog in the house got disciplined, he'd wet himself where he sat. Once that was recognized, it was super easy to manage, and he was just a wonderful critter. The folks who adopted him loved him.

Another one was a stray from Wyoming and was the runt - and he'd been chomped on a lot - ears had all kinds of chomp marks and he was a basket case. But he settled in nicely with good discipline and praise and was a very affectionate/cuddly Weim that always wanted to lie in a lap. Got adopted by folks who had a brother/sister pair and the brother had died of something, and the other Weim they had was very calm/nurturing and he fit right in with her. They sent a pic of him out walking with her and another group of dogs, which was so nice to see, because he had been very fearful of other dogs when I got him.

I plan to foster more once my dog is gone, in the interim until I adopt another one...

Reactions: GOHOX69
Those doodle dogs seem awful from my exposure to them. The owner can’t seem to control them. I walk by or ride my bike past them and they seem unhinged.

Maybe the owners didn’t raise them well but the 3-4 I interact with are not good dogs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT