ADVERTISEMENT

The Iowa City Senior Center hosts pickle ball event.

These are a bunch of 2.5 women players who are there for the socialization aspect. Most are not athletic, just whack it back and forth. We play at 7 am with a group of 4.0+ players, ex athletes, tennis players, coaches, etc. 2-2.5 hours of non stop playing. You've stated you can spend hours on a treadmill at a gym, watching MSNBC and I don't get the crazy behind that! Between games we may discuss baseball, football, wrestling, golf, women almost anything but politics. I couldn't tell you the political leanings of any of the 16 - 30 guys I play with. Time flies bye and there is zero boredom...

Pickleball is tennis for people who dont want to run to chase down a ball

Rec level tennis players do spend more time chasing balls than actually hitting them. Most area tennis courts are underused and neglected. Top level tennis players are in fact some of the most coordinated and well conditioned athletes on the planet, I admit that, it's not really necessary to compare the two. Pick up BB at the fieldhouse is also basketball, but it's not like these guys are NBA'ers...

. Pick up BB at the fieldhouse is also basketball, but it's not like these guys are NBA'ers...

If we had this these things popping up all over, i would say this would be basketball for people who dont want to run up and down the court

funnelball.jpeg

I'm not a senior but love pickleball. Like any game you can play it as casually or competitively as you want.

Actually learned the game 25ish years ago in high school. The tennis coach was a huge proponent of the sport and made it a part of gym class. Always on the cutting edge in Ottumwa!

These are a bunch of 2.5 women players who are there for the socialization aspect. Most are not athletic, just whack it back and forth. We play at 7 am with a group of 4.0+ players, ex athletes, tennis players, coaches, etc. 2-2.5 hours of non stop playing. You've stated you can spend hours on a treadmill at a gym, watching MSNBC and I don't get the crazy behind that! Between games we may discuss baseball, football, wrestling, golf, women almost anything but politics. I couldn't tell you the political leanings of any of the 16 - 30 guys I play with. Time flies bye and there is zero boredom...

Bunch of lonely women that like to whack it vs. a sweaty sausage party? I know which game I’m joining…

Didn’t every elementary school have the kids play pickleball? I know we did many years ago.
It worked because it fit on the gym floor and the wiffle balls didn’t go very far.

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
Rec level tennis players do spend more time chasing balls than actually hitting them. Most area tennis courts are underused and neglected. Top level tennis players are in fact some of the most coordinated and well conditioned athletes on the planet, I admit that, it's not really necessary to compare the two. Pick up BB at the fieldhouse is also basketball, but it's not like these guys are NBA'ers...
Preach brother. I'm almost inspired to buy a pickleball paddle/racket.

• Haha
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Reactions: GOHOX69
Have you played pickleball? It's a lot of fun.

What I like about it is everyone can basically play...age isn't a major factor. It's all about ball placement and positioning. (took me a while to learn that) Knowing where to be at any given time. Younger folks don't necessarily have an advantage.

Love it.

Reactions: torbee and GOHOX69

What I like about it is everyone can basically play...age isn't a major factor. It's all about ball placement and positioning. (took me a while to learn that) Knowing where to be at any given time. Younger folks don't necessarily have an advantage.

Love it.

Sounds like this generation’s racquetball.

That said, no I have never played. We didn’t have it in gym when I was young and I don’t see the appeal now. But maybe I’m missing out.

Love it.
So it's for olds like you and JVW. Got it.

The craze is that an old person can convince themselves they're getting exercise without the fitness required of tennis, while simultaneously actually increasing their risk of orthopedic injuries.
As well as the social aspect. My MIL plays and enjoys the people she plays with.

The craze is that an old person can convince themselves they're getting exercise without the fitness required of tennis, while simultaneously actually increasing their risk of orthopedic injuries.

I actually kind of wondered about this. It’s seems like it’s mostly the geriatric crew playing with the trend working its way into the 50’s - late 40’s crowd. All that twisting, planting, bending, etc. seems like an orthopedic’s wet dream to me. Not that I’m against seniors and exercising - far from it! It just seems like pickle ball has the potential to be an injury ridden nightmare for someone who hasn’t done much more than walk around the neighborhood for the last 15-20 years.

I actually kind of wondered about this. It’s seems like it’s mostly the geriatric crew playing with the trend working its way into the 50’s - late 40’s crowd. All that twisting, planting, bending, etc. seems like an orthopedic’s wet dream to me. Not that I’m against seniors and exercising - far from it! It just seems like pickle ball has the potential to be an injury ridden nightmare for someone who hasn’t done much more than walk around the neighborhood for the last 15-20 years.
yep, just as baseball injuries are almost always worse than hockey injuries because they typically entail explosive core movements, so too with pickleball.

fwiw, that's the anecdotal reports of our club tennis pros.

Pickleball is an amazing sport because you can have fun playing it regardless of skill level or fitness level.

Old chubby people can play and young fit people can play.

You can make it a relaxing social event or get up a great sweat and a good workout.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
This is a horseshit response by someone ignorant of the game.

You absolutely can get excellent aerobic exercise playing pickleball.

Pickleball is an amazing sport because you can have fun playing it regardless of skill level or fitness level.

Old chubby people can play and young fit people can play.

You can make it a relaxing social event or get up a great sweat and a good workout.
This. We have a 70 yr old in the neighborhood who taught me. Dude is competitive with folks in their 20's...wrecks me regularly.

Mixed doubles is very competitive.

I just tell folks "don't knock it till you try it" because I was a major league skeptic.

I've always liked competitive sports. Played pick up basketball till I was 50....Softball into my mid 40's. I just like the opportunity to compete in something other than golf. Compete against younger folks on what's essentally an even playing field.

If you know what you're doing in pickleball and the 20 yr doesn't...you can kick their ass.

Just love it...played in may first tournament a few months back and it was a blast.

Reactions: cfbfan23 and torbee
It's getting harder and harder to find someone to play tennis with in my area.

Pickleball? Never a problem.

Tennis does seem to be on the wane in many areas, but it is still huge in Atlanta. I'm in a league and usually don't have a problem finding someone to hit with. I can always make my 15 year old son hit with me. But he's really good and usually annihilates me.

My wife (no pics) and I play pickleball once or twice a month with my 28 year old nephew and his girlfriend (no pics). They play a lot. We don't. They've gotten a lot better, but we still do alright.....because of our tennis experience. It's actually quality family time.

I love watching the old dudes and ladies surgically destroy much younger opposition. Hand eye co-ordination trumps physical fitness when it comes to Pickleball. That being said, pickleball is still a pretty good workout. And you can fit two courts on to one tennis court.

Tennis does seem to be on the wane in many areas, but it is still huge in Atlanta. I'm in a league and usually don't have a problem finding someone to hit with. I can always make my 15 year old son hit with me. But he's really good and usually annihilates me.

My wife (no pics) and I play pickleball once or twice a month with my 28 year old nephew and his girlfriend (no pics). They play a lot. We don't. They've gotten a lot better, but we still do alright.....because of our tennis experience. It's actually quality family time.

I love watching the old dudes and ladies surgically destroy much younger opposition. Hand eye co-ordination trumps physical fitness when it comes to Pickleball. That being said, pickleball is still a pretty good workout. And you can fit two courts on to one tennis court.
The only guy I've played tennis with the last couple years played in college.

It's pretty humbling...wish I could find someone at my skill level but there's literally no one on our tennis courts when I check. Pickleball courts like I said are pretty busy.

Reactions: cfbfan23
The only guy I've played tennis with the last couple years played in college.

It's pretty humbling...wish I could find someone at my skill level but there's literally no one on our tennis courts when I check. Pickleball courts like I said are pretty busy.

I had a doubles match two weeks ago. One of the guys we played against played (full-ride) at East Carolina. I'd guess he was around 40-45....younger than me. He said he hadn't been playing in a while. His serve wasn't overpowering, but the strokes were still there and he had ridiculous hands at the net.

We lost in three sets. It was some of the best tennis I've played in a couple of years. A good loss, if you will.

The quality of tennis in the NCAA is pretty damn high, especially now that schools literally draw players from around the world.......similar to golf and women's soccer.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT