ADVERTISEMENT

Theo Epstein slaps Scott Boras around

lucas80

HB King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Super douche Scott Boras publicly chided the Cubs for not locking Kris Bryant into the MLB roster for opening day. Theo Epstein strongly responded. Good for him. Boras has no business telling the Cubs how to run their organization. He's an agent. The Cubs need to do what is best for themselves. If that means exploiting the contract that the MLBPA signed, and keeping Bryant off the MLB roster for a few weeks to save millions of dollars then good for them. He is crushing pitching in Spring Training, but may not be 100 percent ready defensively, and has a sore shoulder. It's a no brainer for the Cubs to hold off on promoting him.

Link

Scott Boras looks like an alcoholic. He always has that look about him that he is drunk. That's a very punchable looking face he has resting on that neck.

That's a pretty bold statement, accusing the Cubs of not wanting to win when they for the first time in a century are building the franchise to win for an entire decade.

Boras is doing what he's supposed to do for his client...but he isn't going to receive any Xmas cards from Theo any time soon. GM's tend to have long memories.

Originally posted by bagdropper:

That's a pretty bold statement, accusing the Cubs of not wanting to win when they for the first time in a century are building the franchise to win for an entire decade.

Boras is doing what he's supposed to do for his client...but he isn't going to receive any Xmas cards from Theo any time soon. GM's tend to have long memories.
I have no idea what he thinks he's accomplishing with this kind of public attack on Tom Ricketts and the Cubs. I don't see how that helps Kris Bryant.

Originally posted by lucas80:

I have no idea what he thinks he's accomplishing with this kind of public attack on Tom Ricketts and the Cubs. I don't see how that helps Kris Bryant.
Boras wants him to be on the opening day roster because it takes a year off his clock, bringing him to arbitration eligibility and free agency quicker. Which means more money for Bryant. Which means more money for Boras.

Fairly certain Boras is also making comments like this to drum up support with the MLBPA to file a grievance...pretty sure I read that a week or two ago that he was investigating it or something like that.

Boras is baseball's anti-Christ. He is the sole reason that Greg Maddux left the Cubs the first time. He is only out for himself and to maximize his client's contracts in the short term. You can argue that is what he is supposed to do, however, the impact, negatively, that he has had on teams, cities and then entire salary structure of the MLB is immense. He may single handedly by more responsible for the demise of small market and mid-sized market teams and their contracts than the Players Union themselves.

He is guy that could go away and I wouldn't shed a tear.

Originally posted by lucas80:

Boras wants him to be on the opening day roster because it takes a year off his clock, bringing him to arbitration eligibility and free agency quicker. Which means more money for Bryant. Which means more money for Boras.

Fairly certain Boras is also making comments like this to drum up support with the MLBPA to file a grievance...pretty sure I read that a week or two ago that he was investigating it or something like that.
I know what Boras wants. But, it's stupid to insult a team and their owner. What is his realistic expectation that the Cubs will change their minds?
And, I saw the stuff about the player's union looking at filing a grievance. They have no standing. They signed the contract. And, being MLB ready is very nebulous. The Cubs can legitimately say he needs to work on his 3B skills. Or, they can say he needs to work out in the OF a little bit since they may need to place him there this season. Or, they can say the shoulder is a little stiff and out of an abundance of caution they are going to have him DH in Des Moines for a week or so. Then try the field to get into game shape.

Originally posted by hawkisak:
Boras is baseball's anti-Christ. He is the sole reason that Greg Maddux left the Cubs the first time. He is only out for himself and to maximize his client's contracts in the short term. You can argue that is what he is supposed to do, however, the impact, negatively, that he has had on teams, cities and then entire salary structure of the MLB is immense. He may single handedly by more responsible for the demise of small market and mid-sized market teams and their contracts than the Players Union themselves.

He is guy that could go away and I wouldn't shed a tear.

I put at least as much blame on Larry Himes as I do Boras for Maddux leaving after the '92 season.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Pretty sure he acted on Arod's behalf and opted out of the Yankee's contract. Wish the yankees would have left Arod out to dry instead of resigning.

And the cubs are doing what they need to do.....

I'm curious if that shoulder is actually worse than what's being bandied about.

Let's say Boras does know something is truly wrong with it - his view must be to get Bryant on the roster asap before it explodes and kills the kid's earning potential (as well as Boras').

If that shoulder needs surgery, shoulders have a habit of never being the same again. I know that everybody involved says it's nothing to worry about, but if they don't say that (and something is truly wrong with it) it's a circus for the kid and the club and the second guessers will pounce.

Theo Epstein is responsible for the entire Cubs
roster for 2015. He has a budget for the team
and will work accordingly.

Scott Boras is responsible for his own bank
account and tries to pad it as often as possible

Bottom Line: Scott Boras cares about himself
more than anyone else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT