ADVERTISEMENT

Things - Minnesota

J_Heater

HB Legend
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2005
Offense still a work in progress although the big plays were huge today. I thought the line was better at pass protection for the most part but run blocking was still dreadful.

Both lines were dominated in this game by Minnesota. It wasn’t really even close. Was kind of surprised we ran as much Cash as we did with Minnesota barely passing the ball coming in. The defensive line was being abused all night and the LB’s couldn’t get off blocks.

I’d expect Illinois to do a lot of toss sweeping next week after watching Minnesota do it with so much success.

We got outplayed today but a win is a win to win to me. So many missed tackles tonight. Ugly.

I think Padilla is the starter going forward but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Petras back in there. He is quicker getting the ball out, he is more calm in the pocket, he is far more mobile but he does one thing that Petras don’t and it’s a biggie with KF. He puts the ball in harm’s way. Minny dropped 2 easy picks tonight.

Only stat that matters was our 8th win. KF now 15-0 against Fleck, Frost and Campbell. Yet how many of our fans continue to go on about how great those coaches are.

Lots of analyst talking about the play calls down at the 3-yard line. Clearly you don’t want to throw it there because an incompletion would be horrible. So what’s your best bet in short yardage situations. Sneak behind Linderbaum. It’s not like Goodson was tearing it up all night long.

1st quarter
15:00 Van Valkenberg being held on the first play. Looked like maybe Minny was going to run but Hankins had a 10-yard cushion and they challenged him and he closed fast enough to knock it away.

Next play – Shannon being held. Looked like it was going to be a long day of holding and no calls but to me it appeared Minny cleaned it up for the most part going forward.

14:15 Van Valkenberg lined up at NG, stunts all the way around. Seemed odd to have your best pass rusher have to go about 8 yards east and west to get to the QB. Koerner with a great read. He was on the other side of the field and saw it coming and made a great play.

13:36 Plumb starts at LT, Colby starting at RG. Not sure about Colby but maybe he started other games. Goodson right up the gut for 12 yards, great blocks by Linderbaum and Colby

Next play – Looks like maybe Johnson was being held as we go deep but no video showed it. Dejong gets beat badly on the pass protection. Padilla had Jones in the middle of the field open.

12:20 Dejon holds up on pass protection, Goodson with a nice blitz pickup and a great effort from LaPorta to get the 1st down.

Next play/12:00 Linderbaum takes out the NG and then almost gets to the LB but can’t get there and you could see he was pissed about it. Goodson goes down with minimal contact. Schott had the LB sealed, if Goodson breaks that tackle it’s a big gainer.

Next play/11:25 Everyone goes with Johnson and Bruce is all alone in the flat. After the catch Johnson comes back with a nice block.

9:54 2 Minnesota guys come clean right up the middle. No clue what happened there. Another guy leaps our center but Shudak is just money.

9:49 Van Valkenberg and Moss both miss tackles, the LB’s can’t get off blocks and it’s a nice gain for the bad guys.

7:34 Wagggoner gets too far inside and then over pursues and then misses the tackle on the cut back. Not his finest play. Koerner comes in with horrible technique on the tackle and the guy bounces off of him. Hankins missed part of that tackle as well.

Next play/7:00 Waggoner replaced by Joe Evans. He does same thing as Waggoner on play before. He gets too far inside then over pursues then missed the tackle.

415 Not even Wisky blocked us this good. Every DL got whipped, Campbell can’t get off the block, Van Valkenberg despite being man handled misses a shoe string tackle here.

3:40/Next play – Great reaction from Hankins as he reads it quickly and makes a great stop with Belton.

2:53 Lee being held, Koerner falls down on a very small shove but I think he saw that giant RT and said I’m out. Benson with a great read, Van Valkenberg does a nice spin move and Moss gets his nose in there and all 3 meet at the ball carrier.

2:02 Nice play action rollout. This is a good play for Padilla. He gets the ball out quick and hits Laporta. KJ was doubled just beyond the completion.

Next play/1:30 Padilla throws into double coverage as KJ was doubled and guarded well. He had Pollisard in the flat all by himself.

:45 Good protection from the line, Padilla scrambles and not sure it was necessary but he find Laporta for positive yards.

2nd quarter
15:00 Loves this play design to Tracy on the reverse but it was just well defended

14:25 Best catch of the year by far by our WR’s. Jones with a diving grab. Minnesota had the box loaded on 3rd and 2.

13:35 Padilla scores and the whole OL is looking for him in the pile but he’s already heading to the sidelines.

8:57 Dejong with horrible footwork on the pass pro, Padilla shows great patience and throws a great pass and KJ drops it.

5:40 Before the ball is snap you can see Belton talking to Jacobs and then to Hankins and pointing at the TE. I assume they were saying who has him. Hankins let him run right by him. Made an outstanding effort play to knock that ball lose but was still at fault for the TD. I think a better angle and that ball may have been coming out before it crossed the EZ but I couldn’t see it on any angle they showed us.

5:22 Good blocks by Dejong, Colby and Pollisard creating a nice hole for Goodson

4:25 Good protection, good throw by Padilla and then Ragaini drops it. The guy that stripped it didn’t even give it that great of an effort either to get that ball out of there.

4:17 Lee and Van Valkenberg both get destroyed at the LOS.

3:40/Next play – Belton gets trucked by the RB, the whole left side of our DL gets wiped out. Minny has a nice future with Thomas and Irving.

:56 Belton moves to safety and what a quick read and great tackle. Jacobs also gets off his block and gets in on the stop.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.