ADVERTISEMENT

Things progessive pop-culture pretends are really good, that aren't

z_ape

HR Heisman
Mar 8, 2010
There's this thing they do, where they sort of just decide they want to anoint something as "really good" and "celebrate" it without the sort of organic process of artistic accomplishment that usually generates real appreciation.

The sort of thing that is undergirded by cultural analysis pieces in the New York Times. It's that woke lesbian comic on Netflix that doesn't actually make you laugh... but does a comic really need to? "Re-thinking" comedy might be one of the two dozen headlines generated from the Netflix offering.

You see this all across identity topics -- the hero worship of some deliciously intersectional woman from 1932 that built some of the best model trains in the world when model trains were strictly a white man's world.

The problem is that it's manufactured appreciation. And it smells that way.

I'll start with a few.
- Beyonce
- Trevor Noah

Last edited:
I’m old and hate everything, except Beyoncé. She’d be a star in any era. Pretty much everything else sucks though.

Reactions: torbee
Beyoncé is good. Listen is clearly a good song sung by a great singer.

Who pretends Trevor Noah is good?

Reactions: torbee
I don't think Beyoncé is bad. Sure, maybe good. But the Beyoncé worship -- for what she is as a singer -- is bizarre.

Yeah, people treat everything she does as magic. That’s annoying, but Trevor Noah is a straight up middling comedian.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Didn’t they do this with Lena Dunham for like a week or so? That seems to have straightened itself out though.

The fact that Samantha Bee and Noah are still on TV sharing the same space with legit talent like Conan and Fallon is very awful. The first two have never made me crack a smile...ever. The last two make it happen pretty much every time I see them.

Reactions: bdoss
“This is America” by Childish Gambino was probably more sizzle than steak.

Yeah, I remember watching that. Sort of thought the same thing.

It's like we're too aware and wanting of significance. It doesn't work that way.

I think it is in part due to the information age we live in. We know too much. Everything is immediately analyzed, and that analysis is disseminated to everyone at once.

Reactions: Aleister_Crowley
This would be a more prolific thread if we reversed the politics.

I probably could've said "elite" pop-culture, white-collar, etc. They're culturally dominant. (and there's some fusion with aspects of progressive politics in there)

But maybe some of the same processes are at play in more conservative pop-culture? Because it's the processes I'm talking about. Of course I could point to shite people purport to love on the other side of the isle.

Of course you pick two black people.

I noticed that... but. Hey, this culture celebrates the shit out of minorities and women.

Besides, Noah isn't that black.

I get to make fun of it.

In fact, it's ripe for the picking comedically. Most people are afraid to touch it. Most of those that do are mouth breathers. The rest are too scared.

Didn’t they do this with Lena Dunham for like a week or so? That seems to have straightened itself out though.

The fact that Samantha Bee and Noah are still on TV sharing the same space with legit talent like Conan and Fallon is very awful. The first two have never made me crack a smile...ever. The last two make it happen pretty much every time I see them.

Jimmy Fallon is the most mediocre person in late night. Your taste is bad and you should feel bad.

Yeah, I remember watching that. Sort of thought the same thing.

It's like we're too aware and wanting of significance. It doesn't work that way.

I think it is in part due to the information age we live in. We know too much. Everything is immediately analyzed, and that analysis is disseminated to everyone at once.
At the height of the hype for that song/video, my then 10 year old son wanted to share a parody that was Minecraft themed that mocked the Childish Gambino music. His aunt, (my sister no pic) is a college professor and was outwardly offended, she chastised him and we all pretty much agreed with her because frankly myself and my entire family is really liberal. Several months later it came up again at a gathering and we were all a little humorously embarrassed at our indignant outrage.

Odd start. I think Trevor Noah is really smart and kind of funny. He’s an awesome podcast guest, but never got into his show.

There are plenty of TV shows and movies I just don’t understand. If your show makes me sad and stresses me out - that’s a bad thing. I’d rather get Covid than watch uncut gems again.

Yeah, ouch. Right after I posted my example, I realized that. I am not as good as I could be.

It's not them -- it's their white enablers.

They'd all be screaming for OJ's innocence today if the trial was unfolding in 2020. Make fun of them.

I probably could've said "elite" pop-culture, white-collar, etc. They're culturally dominant. (and there's some fusion with aspects of progressive politics in there)

But maybe some of the same processes are at play in more conservative pop-culture? Because it's the processes I'm talking about. Of course I could point to shite people purport to love on the other side of the isle.

How about Ted Nugent or Lee Greenwood? Would those be the flip side? Maybe they have been around too long. I would then offer up Candace Owens...

Trevor Noah > Jimmy Fallon. (And Noah is meh.)

Trevor Noah > Jimmy Fallon. (And Noah is meh.)

I gotta be honest...I'm not a Fallon fan, but used him because I dislike Noah and Bee so much. Low hanging fruit. He does have some talent though. Not really my taste. Still way better than Noah.

Joe Biden,.. progressives see him as a life raft filled with fecal matter...

So what? Is that his subconscious/ingrained racism manifesting itself?
Or was your reply more in the sarcastic vein? Maybe both. Dunno.
I don’t see op’s reply as problematic.
Imagine he picked two trans people as the only negative examples. It certainly would strike me as a theme worthy of comment.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Imagine he picked two trans people as the only negative examples. It certainly would strike me as a theme worthy of comment.
Ok. I’m imagining, but still see no real issue. Peoples’ tastes vary dramatically, and op didn’t infer anything malicious or racist in his post imo. Thanks for your reply.

If OP thinks there aren't millions of conservatives who love beyonce he's an idiot. Tastes are subjective, if you want to view the world through a political lens like this you are going to be miserable......the crybaby pissing and moaning pandemic in this country is seriously out of control

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
beyonce

Adjusting your jeans so that they ride just below your butt cheeks so that it looks as if what is holding them up is an oversized wiener. ... And then strolling down the street with a cowboy-like gait, while holding your trousers up with one hand.

I noticed that... but. Hey, this culture celebrates the shit out of minorities and women.

Besides, Noah isn't that black.

I get to make fun of it.

In fact, it's ripe for the picking comedically. Most people are afraid to touch it. Most of those that do are mouth breathers. The rest are too scared.

Yes, Noah has a white father, but he was raised by his black mother in a black township in South Africa. I think he qualifies as black

legit talent like Conan. Fallon is very awful.
I fixed that up for you.

John Oliver, Samantha Bee, and Stephen Colbert all used to make me laugh. What Colbert did on Strangers with Candy and The Colbert Report was some of the best subversion and satire I've ever seen. But then they all decided they'd rather moralize than use their comedic chops to entertain. I think there's value in bringing to light some of what they do and I agree with much of what they say. I also find it incredibly boring and often condescending. Colbert is basically turning DNC listserv emails into a nightly show. Or he was when I stopped watching him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT