ADVERTISEMENT

Things to do in Phoenix for a day?

The Tradition

HB King
Apr 23, 2002
Layover in Phoenix on the way home from Hawaii on September 12th. Thinking about staying an extra night there and continuing home on Saturday the 14th.

I assume it's still insanely hot in Phoenix in mid-September? What are some cool things to do there for a day?

Reactions: BrianNole777
Looks like the world famous Mariachi De Vargas Tecalitlan band is option 1 - 69....

AF1QipNPaHtdWJNC-zEaaSo9VcA35EXTUwpbC3hkS8VQ=s1360-w1360-h1020

I think you were the poster who's wife had some health issues that delayed this trip? If so glad to hear she's doing better. Weren't you flying through Las Vegas?

I'd probably find a cool hotel with a nice pool and go play TopGolf in Phoenix/Scottsdale.

Layover in Phoenix on the way home from Hawaii on September 12th. Thinking about staying an extra night there and continuing home on Saturday the 14th.

I assume it's still insanely hot in Phoenix in mid-September? What are some cool things to do there for a day?
Frank lyoyd wright museum is neat for some types of people.
I really enjoyed it.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Lots of great DDD spots to hit. Its going to be hot, but in the early AM the botanical garden might be tolerable, and you’d learn something about the ecology of the desert.

Reactions: TheRealHerky
I think you were the poster who's wife had some health issues that delayed this trip? If so glad to hear she's doing better. Weren't you flying through Las Vegas?

I'd probably find a cool hotel with a nice pool and go play TopGolf in Phoenix/Scottsdale.

Vegas is Labor Day weekened.

Phoenix is on the way back.

Spend $3,000 on golf clubs then about $300 more for a nice round of 18. Take your new clubs either directly back to where you got them or to the Scottsdale 2nd swing when done. Can also bake cookies on the sidewalk.

Anyone do the Mormon Trail to Hidden Valley? The interwebs says that's a fairly easy hike.

Phoenix is one of the worst big cities in America to be stuck in for a day imo. Pizzeria Bianco is one of the only redeeming things about it

Honestly, I was very unimpressed with Pizzeria Bianca. I’ve only been twice so it could be I just got bum pizzas both times, but I was very underwhelmed. There are a fair amount of real Neopolitan style pizzerias scattered around Florida and all of them were on par or better than Bianca. The local one in Tallahassee called Isabella’s and run by a couple who spent two years studying in Naples and brought back an official Neapolitan certified oven (yes that’s really a thing) is MUCH better in my opinion.

Neapolitan style IS a good style imo and it’s miles better than any fast food pizza and certainly better than several other styles imo. But there are some I like even better. It’s tough to rank one style against another but in general I’d say I definitely prefer New Jersey tomato pies, Connecticut Apizza, Roman pizza al taglio and Detroit style deep dish better in roughly that order. And I like Neapolitan roughly on par with New York thin “pizza pies”, French style Pissaladiere, and Boston/“Greek” style pizza. And I like it slightly better but roughly on par with DC Jumbo Slice, Chicago/Milwaukee Thin, California Style, and Grandma style.

Reactions: bhawk24bob

Definitely hit up The Fry Bread House while in Phoenix. It’s the only place I’ve been to on vacation where I purposefully ate twice while on the same trip. It’s not precolonial Native American like the unfortunately closed Sacred Hogan, but it’s authentic post-reservation Native American food with great Rez food like fry bread “tacos” and burros (similar to burritos made with local chumuth) and their tamales when they have them are amazing.

Reactions: The Tradition
Definitely hit up The Fry Bread House while in Phoenix. It’s the only place I’ve been to on vacation where I purposefully ate twice while on the same trip. It’s not precolonial Native American like the unfortunately closed Sacred Hogan, but it’s authentic post-reservation Native American food with great Rez food like fry bread “tacos” and burros (similar to burritos made with local chumuth) and their tamales when they have them are amazing.

I was hoping you'd show up.

Any thoughts about the Frank Lloyd Wright stuff in PHX?

Reactions: goldmom
Honestly, I was very unimpressed with Pizzeria Bianca. I’ve only been twice so it could be I just got bum pizzas both times, but I was very underwhelmed. There are a fair amount of real Neopolitan style pizzerias scattered around Florida and all of them were on par or better than Bianca. The local one in Tallahassee called Isabella’s and run by a couple who spent two years studying in Naples and brought back an official Neapolitan certified oven (yes that’s really a thing) is MUCH better in my opinion.

Neapolitan style IS a good style imo and it’s miles better than any fast food pizza and certainly better than several other styles imo. But there are some I like even better. It’s tough to rank one style against another but in general I’d say I definitely prefer New Jersey tomato pies, Connecticut Apizza, Roman pizza al taglio and Detroit style deep dish better in roughly that order. And I like Neapolitan roughly on par with New York thin “pizza pies”, French style Pissaladiere, and Boston/“Greek” style pizza. And I like it slightly better but roughly on par with DC Jumbo Slice, Chicago/Milwaukee Thin, California Style, and Grandma style.

I think it just tastes better to me than it actually is because I usually wait until later in the week to go when I'm down there for work. You're right though that it's nothing special

Reactions: FSUTribe76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT