ADVERTISEMENT

Things

J_Heater

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2005
Only watched the replay once, but some things I saw on the replay.

All 5 Iowa scores in the same endzone. No biggie just the kind of ridiculous stuff I notice.

Opening kickoff, lower left hand corner Brandon Snyder plants a guy and then right as the play comes to a stop, Hockaday puts a guy on his ass. Setting the tone early.

14:11 Announcers says you can see why Wadley gets quick yards as he is so quick through the hole. True, but it helps when Jordan Walsh took the DT 3 yards out of the whole.

Announcer said “KF said Wadley has some things that mommy and daddy gave him, stuff we don’t’ instill at Iowa.

Thought it was Lomax’s big hit causing the fumble that Taylor picked up but it was Mabin stripping it.

7:30 1st quarter, George Kittle turned a 3 yard gain into an 8 yard gain. Great block.

The very next play, Wadley went for 14 yards, Hilyer with a punishing block. You could hear the pads popping and then on that same Play Meyers moved to the next level and put a safety on his ass.

Daniels big run for 15 yards or so to the 4, Welsh drove his guy 5 yards downfield.

On Daniels TD run, that was the only play I saw Jake Duzey in on and he made a good block. Im wondering if Duzey’s knee has reshaped his game into what Ryan Ward was last year. A goalline blocker. Hope not but it just seems he has a very limited role right now.

Miles Taylor time and time again came up huge in run support. Him and Lomax were monsters.

On Taylor’s interception and fumble, Lomax almost had the rebound but the Tackle just took a swipe at it and knocked it away.

Desmond King, take away the pick 6 and he still played a great game. All over the place.

CJ got sacked 4 times but other than that only twice was he hit after a throw. I’m not sure what is expected but that’s what I found on the replay.

On the 1st sack, it was ridiculous. We had 8 guys in blocking, 2 in the pattern and they rushed 6. Austin Blythe appeared to lose his balance and Welsh was helping Meyers double team.

On the 2nd sack, Croston’s guy got the sack. He had his guy blocked but a delayed blitz coming from way outside got CJ running and he ran right into the tackler. Not sure that one was on Cole.

14:00 2nd quarter, Maryland brought in a WR and King knew immediately it was going deep. He takes off the minute the ball is snapped. Film study I’m guessing.

10:35 2nd quarter, Maryland LB falls down and gets out of the way to avoid Adam Cox. Replay showed it was worse than it looked live. He took a dive.

Iowa’s 4th and 5 pass interference call. I always say I try to stay objective. I hate that penalty even when it helps my team. Just not enough there to justify that flag in my opinion.

The next play after the 4th and 5 Pass interference, Plewa gets a taste of his own medicine. He goes full blast into the LB and gets knocked backwards and on his butt.

The very next play after Plewa got destroyed, he goes right back full blast and opened up the whole for Wadley’s TD. Hilyer with a good block also to make sure the CB didn’t get there.

After Wadley’s TD, that is exactly what every kick off should be in my opinion. It was so high and still landed 5 yards in the end zone We had 3 guys already at the 20 by the time Likely caught it. Fleming had Likely at the 11 yard line and Snyder dove for him and wiped Fleming out.

2nd quarter, Maryland had a punt and Parker Hesse could have blocked it. I don’t think he realized he was going to get there but he was standing right next to the punter when it was punted. It was the punt where King was waving everyone off. I didn’t’ see him call for a fair catch so maybe folks at the game can say whether or not he did. Anyway, ball hit the ground, and Desmond picked it up and acted as if either he thought he was out of bounds or thought he called fair catch. Either way he was just standing there and got popped.

Jereminic Smith came in for 1 play that I remember and I’m not sure if it was the Wisconsin film but they played so soft on him. It was an easy out route for 12 yards.

On Vandeberg’s quick screen he got 21 yards and most of it was all on his own. Lots of guys down field but nobody really got a hat on anybody. Boone had the first block but after that it was all Matt.

On Mends blocked punt, nobody laid a hand on him. I think Blair or Tom said that the coaches told his ex teammate who was up from Kansas City to look for Mends to block a punt. They obviously saw something. After the ball landed, looks like Josh Jackson was toying with going after it maybe and Desmond pushes him to the sideline and then I think tells him why he should just leave it alone. Great leadership. One other thing about that punt, it was pointed out somewhere after the game that if he didn’t get it, it would have been a penalty. I don’t think so, the side view showed the punter just flopped and wasn’t touched.

Jake Hilyer had a WR screen after the blocked punt and you could hear a pad popping really loud. It was Welsh who was downfield and put a smack on the LB. The LB made the tackle but 6 yards later.

This was brought up in a separate thread but on the pass to HKC to the 3 yard line, DMX was blasted by the LB while the ball was still in the air. Should have been a penalty?

On the kick after DMX’s TD, Brandon Snyder got blocked in the back. That was the last play of the first half. The first play of the 2nd half, Brandon Snyder got blocked in the back again. He got blocked in the back on 3 kickoffs and it wasn’t called once. The next one was after Iowa’s FG, they completely missed a block in the back on Snyder at the 10 but they got the hold down field. That hold was more of a tackle.

On Maryland’s 1st possession of 2nd half, they faked a fly sweep that Hesse would have blown up and Hills had a really good run but he got blasted by Lomax.

12:50,3rd quarter King comes up in run support and tackles Hills. Then it looks like he gets right in Hills ear hole and has some words for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News