ADVERTISEMENT

Think our dryer is toast. Recs on washers and dryers? Ones to avoid like the plague?

an-old-fashioned-washing-trougth-filled-with-water-a-vintage-and-picture-id1175782597

images1UKI3F22.jpg

Speed Queen top load washing machine. Bulletproof and made in the USA. Expensive but worth it. All the appliance salespeople have them. Ours is the T5 w agitator.

We have had Maytag in the past and they were good before being bought by Whirlpool. The Whirlpool front load we had looked really nice but was a maintenance nightmare.

Dryers are less sensitive to brand. Not much to go wrong, but who wants a mix and match washer/dryer set?

Last edited:
Speed Queen top load washing machine. Bulletproof and made in the USA. Expensive but worth it. All the appliance salespeople have them. Ours is the T5 w agitator.

We have had Maytag in the past and they were good before being bought by Whirlpool. The Whirlpool front load we had looked really nice but was a maintenance nightmare.

Dryers are less sensitive to brand. Not much to go wrong, but who wants a mix and match washer/dryer set?
Never heard of speed queen. Thanks will give it a look

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Bought a new W&d this spring...GE both...bought at costco because it's covered for 4 years. Anything breaks down on them in that 4 year window and I get a new replacement because that's how Costco rolls !! About $1600 total bill.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Bought a new W&d this spring...GE both...bought at costco because it's covered for 4 years. Anything breaks down on them in that 4 year window and I get a new replacement because that's how Costco rolls !! About $1600 total bill.
The GE brand was bought by a Chinese company, Haier. I think they are made here in the US but the management is Chinese. I try to buy American brands when possible. Speed queen is made in Wisconsin

Reactions: Moral
Except it isn’t. Talk to someone who knows their shit like a mechanical engineer, appliance repair or sales people, etc, you dumb ass, LOL.
Why would you need a commercial washing machine in your house? They’re built to run hours and hours more than you would ever use it in your lifetime. It’s just a dumb decision unless you’re running a boarding house.

The GE brand was bought by a Chinese company, Haier. I think they are made here in the US but the management is Chinese. I try to buy American brands when possible. Speed queen is made in Wisconsin
A podcast I listen to had the author of the Jack Welch story ( The Man who broke Capitalism) and he had mentioned that GE hasn't made an appliance in years.Good luck trying finding any product that doesn't have Chinese fingerprints on it these days !!

GE seems to be highly reviewed

What’s wrong with your dryer? A lot of problems are easy fixes.
I was away when the wife texted me it was making horrible noises and would then stop. It has performed poorly for years but rallied when she took some super wet stuff out. Looks like crisis has been averted but this is now on my short term radar…

This ^^^^^^

We have an LG top load and it sucks for larger loads. Errors out for “uneven load” all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT