ADVERTISEMENT

This Inquiring Mind Wants To Know ...

watching iowa fb live after the age of 60 is a risky proposition even during very successful seasons. right now we are looking at climbing from #131 on O. at your age i will likely wait until the game is over and watch recordings if called for.
That said, we are gonna have a good season per my gut. Go Hawks.

watching iowa fb live after the age of 60 is a risky proposition even during very successful seasons. right now we are looking at climbing from #131 on O. at your age i will likely wait until the game is over and watch recordings if called for.
I often dvr games and watch after. It's much better for my heart rate and blood pressure.

I'm 82 and have been an avid Hawkeye all my life. My first recollection of Iowa football was 1952, Evy's first year as head coach at Iowa. The greatest Iowa FB coach in my lifetime. Next is Hayden and third is Kirk. Evy and Hayden put Iowa on the FB map. Evy for the all the years since Football was played at Iowa and Hayden, led Iowa out of the 20 years of not having a winning season. Many of the biggest critics of Kirk were not alive when Evy and Hayden made the Iowa football a name to be respected. Kirk has kept the program right up there with what Evy and Hayden established.
Interesting point, you made that those may age should wait until the game is over and only watch recordings. I have always listened on the radio replay from WHO at night in my first years in Michigan after graduated from Iowa. Since the games are always on TV if watch them live and love it. I have a good friend and neighbor who is 5 years older than me. He is a Michigan graduate and avid Michigan fan. Since I have known him, which is 40 years, he has not watched their games until after they are over on replays.

I too have fell to sleep listening to the WHO re-broadcast many times over the decades.
Do you guys actually wait until you know the final score before deciding whether to watch the game?
Not me. A big part of the entertainment value of sports is the unscripted nature of the content.
Thankfully, I have enjoyed the thrill of victory far more than the despair of defeat since Hayden arrived 45 years ago.
I did experience the 19 year drought but limited tv coverage had me glued to my transistor radio.
It is crazy how your brain and memory banks work.
I still remember the spot out in the field I was listening when Eddie podalak and the Hawks demolished NW 68-34 back in the 60's. It was thrilling.

I too have fell to sleep listening to the WHO re-broadcast many times over the decades.
Do you guys actually wait until you know the final score before deciding whether to watch the game?
Not me. A big part of the entertainment value of sports is the unscripted nature of the content.
Thankfully, I have enjoyed the thrill of victory far more than the despair of defeat since Hayden arrived 45 years ago.
I did experience the 19 year drought but limited tv coverage had me glued to my transistor radio.
I still remember the spot out in the field I was listening when Eddie podalak and the Hawks demolished NW 68-34 back in the 60's. It was thrilling.
I did listen to evening re-broadcasts on AM radio in the early 80s.

Reactions: cmhawks99
That's what I do! It helps take the sting out of losses.

I do watch bowl games live, though. And home games, since I'm there.
I do too. Otherwise it's going on the dvr plus i can watch it multiple times.

OMG. I had no idea how many of us here were doing the transistor radio WHO midnight game replay thing!
Because I live out of state and game replay reception was often weather-dependent, I learned that my best chance for decent reception was sitting on the toilet in my bathroom. Not the most comfortable place to spend 4 hours, but the real problem was the late season games when I had to haul blankets and hot beverages in just to keep warm. :) Thankfully, we're blessed to have national TV coverage now for most of the Iowa games. But there was something special about those transistor radio days.

One of the best things about those WHO midnight radio replays in the early days was that they included both pre game and post game shows. You were able to get the entire experience, A to Z.
It seems like WMT AM did replays also for a stretch as I recall listening to Gonder and Reilly doing the play by play at night.

If they are playing one of thoe 9 am west coast start times I dvr i. If I know they lai an egg I erase it without watching.

I hate just listening to Iowa games on the radio live. Half the time the guy is running down field, at the 50 the 40 and it's a touchdown. What the hell happen to those other 40 yards. And he runs through the line of scrimmage wide open and tackled for a 3 yard gain. Or the receiver is wide open for an easy catch and oh, the qb is tackled for a loss. But in some close games where I have money on it I'll turn away with about 5 min. to go so I don't see the bad calls that cost me money!!!! :eek:

it's a MUCH better experience provided you can stay away from updates. games take 2 hours, fast forward past commercials, halftime, reviews, etc.
Sometimes I'll start games at halftime so I can skip all the commercials.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT