ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts after replay watch of both lines against wisky

uihawk82

HB All-American
Gold Member
Nov 17, 2021
I like to watch the replay just focusing on the line plays.

- Wisky Oline held a lot

- Iowa pass protection was really good. Remember how wisky's 3-4 would get about 6 sacks and a ton of pressure. Not this time with a different defense. Richman was very good against his man as were the others in pass pro. Maybe wisky DLine not that great in pass rush but at times they blitzed and got to Hill

- The run blocking is featuring so much more pulling and trapping and a lot of crisscross pulling and trapping. Jones, Feth and the other guard were getting a lot of push and seal blocks. Five lineman and 1 or 2 TEnds against 8 rushers is not always going to work but it did enough carving out of holes. Some inside zone worked well just pushing badger players one direction and giving a little hole for backs to shoot thru

- The first wisky drive of the 1st half and their first 2 drives of the 2nd half the hawk DLine were getting their pads turned a lot. I am not sure if it was just not used to the blocking to start the game and 2nd half or if wisky using a little different technique, but on a lot of occasions at the snap Iowa DLinemen were moving sideways and getting turned and pushed a lot.

But those were the only three drives where Wisky really ran the ball decently, yet no big runs given up by Iowa, as otherwise the front 7 of Iowa was squared up, penetrating, keeping blockers off of them, and not allowing much running room.

- Wisky Oline held a lot

- Iowa pass protection was really good. Remember how wisky's 3-4 would get about 6 sacks and a ton of pressure. Not this time with a different defense. Richman was very good against his man as were the others in pass pro. Maybe wisky DLine not that great in pass rush but at times they blitzed and got to Hill

- The run blocking is featuring so much more pulling and trapping and a lot of crisscross pulling and trapping. Jones, Feth and the other guard were getting a lot of push and seal blocks. Five lineman and 1 or 2 TEnds against 8 rushers is not always going to work but it did enough carving out of holes. Some inside zone worked well just pushing badger players one direction and giving a little hole for backs to shoot thru

- The first wisky drive of the 1st half and their first 2 drives of the 2nd half the hawk DLine were getting their pads turned a lot. I am not sure if it was just not used to the blocking to start the game and 2nd half or if wisky using a little different technique, but on a lot of occasions at the snap Iowa DLinemen were moving sideways and getting turned and pushed a lot.

But those were the only three drives where Wisky really ran the ball decently, yet no big runs given up by Iowa, as otherwise the front 7 of Iowa was squared up, penetrating, keeping blockers off of them, and not allowing much running room.
I do recall one play in particular where they blitzed and # 4 was in to block in the backfield and he just got lit up quickly.

I’ve noticed a lot more pulling and seal blocks as well - and on normal downs I think the results have been positive and seems like the line is gaining confidence.

Where I HATE that concept is on 3rd and 1 plays where we seem to always pack everyone in the box (1 WR set) and expect positive results when the defense is fully crashing the middle of the LOS. That’s a personal pet peeve of mine and one area that I’m pretty critical of the play call.

I’ve noticed a lot more pulling and seal blocks as well - and on normal downs I think the results have been positive and seems like the line is gaining confidence.

Where I HATE that concept is on 3rd and 1 plays where we seem to always pack everyone in the box (1 WR set) and expect positive results when the defense is fully crashing the middle of the LOS. That’s a personal pet peeve of mine and one area that I’m pretty critical of the play call.
3rd and 1 need to be rugby plays. Get the mass moving. Imagine the drive 10 must have in those legs.

Yes, I think the hawks should sneak on 3rd and short instead of handing off 4 yards deep, or give a quick handoff to Hayden Large. If they are going to use a running back I would rather the play go at either tackle spot with Large and a pulling lineman leading into that tackle hole. Run away from the big DTackles

- Wisky Oline held a lot

There was a boatload of holding by Wisky

Yes, I think the hawks should sneak on 3rd and short instead of handing off 4 yards deep, or give a quick handoff to Hayden Large. If they are going to use a running back I would rather the play go at either tackle spot with Large and a pulling lineman leading into that tackle hole. Run away from the big DTackles
I think the touchdown run was a 3rd and 1 play. They found an opening off right tackle.

- Wisky Oline held a lot

Wisconsin seems to have the line on officiating holding calls against them.
They hold on every down and hardly ever get called.

It seems they have abandoned outsize zone completely. It's either inside zone or a gap scheme.

The change up has been a breath of fresh air! Hopefully it remains effective.

Some were very obvious and out in the open where it was apparent either the ref was just gonna let them go, or look like a f***ing fool trying to lie to Iowa's coaches, the B10 office for officials and everyone watching that he wasn't in position to see it..............multiple times.

Yahya Black was literally ripped down by his shoulder pads at least twice to avoid sacking their QB and it went uncalled.

I really hope for the sake of the B10 front office for officiating that Black wasn't injured as a result of one of those plays where he was being held..............

- Wisky Oline held a lot

Was texting with my Wisconsin buddy about the holds and even he agreed. Said the ball didn't lie on the fumble after the 4th down conversion that was fumble and recovered by Wisconsin.

I thought there were 3 or 4 obvious holds right in front of the officials that were not called. Like, pad/body turning holds.

Oh well, we won anyway.

I watched the game with my friend who was a fan of neither team. He just laughed and shook his head after every hold and said, I guess they can't call them all.

Hurkett-spelling? #49 was getting his shoulder pads ripped off him on one play on the outside as they replayed the down multiple times on TV. We both just watched and shook our heads.

It was crazy really. Guys getting tackled left and right and nothing. Should have had a half dozen sacks in that game. Seemed like the few times they did blow the whistle, it was on an unsuccessful 3rd down play where they knew Iowa would decline the penalty anyway. I think one of those was where Black got injured while being tackled by 2 guys on a pass rush.

Reactions: pmtdc
I agree with the sentiment that Wisky got away with A LOT of holding by their O line. Few, if any, calls. Apparently the refs could not see it?!?!

Yet, holding was called multiple times on kick returns. Maybe it only counts on special teams? /sarc.

Reactions: pmtdc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT