ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from watching Iowa basketball practice...

Tx_Hawk

HB MVP
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
iowaswarm.com
So I was in town and given the opportunity to watch the Iowa men's basketball team practice each of the last two Saturday's. Below are my thoughts/opinions for whatever they are worth to you. For reference, I'm not a basketball coach...just an avid fan who knows a lot less than the coaches. Most of what I have to say won't be earth-shattering and may be a repeat of what you already heard/know....

Most Pleasant Surprise-- Payton Sandfort, and it's not even close. I think this kid is going to play a lot this year, and was not expecting that coming in. He has a nice high/quick release on his shot. I'm told he's 6'5" barefoot, not sure what we will list him as. Outside of Bohannon, I think he's our best outside shooter.

Other positives --

1) Jordan Bohannon absolutely dominated the scrimmages of the two practices I saw. He barely missed and was the leading scorer each time. He's really adjusting well to the 2 spot, and I think his point production is going to show it. I wouldn't be surprised if he is our leading scorer this year.

2) Keegan Murray has added 4 inches to his vertical (according to a coach) in the offseason, and maybe about 10-15 pounds. He looks the part in a big way, as does his brother, Kris. In the practices I saw, Keegan just plays within the offense and doesn't try to force the issue at all.

3) Kris is a better outside shooter than Keegan, but lacks some assertiveness in the post that his brother has. Kris will play a bunch this year.

4) Josh Ogundele will play this year. I expect him to foul a bunch and frustrate us all, but I saw some flashes of things that will help us. He's our biggest body, and he's shockingly great with his feet. He is not slow at all. He makes lots of mistakes with the basketball, but he's also got a great lefty jump hook and can score in the post. I was told he weighed 305 when he was quarantining overseas...and he's down to 269 right now. The strength/conditioning staff have/are in the process of transforming his body. Apparently he has really changed his attitude/nutrition.

5) Joe T has improved his shooting and is the clear #1 at PG. He still tends to force things a bit much for my blood, but I also realize that his speed is his biggest asset, so I guess we will take the good with the bad here. I expect him to hit quite a few more 3's this year if these two practices are any indication. He will be left open and I expect him to knock down some shots this year.

6) We worked pretty hard on defense this Saturday. That was nice to see. I remain really worried about our defense, though.

7) There is not much separation between our first 5 and second 5. I think that is good in that we have depth....but outside of Bohannon, Joe T, and Keegan, I have no idea who starts. Guessing Rebraca will get the nod...but the other spot could go to several guys.

Other comments--

1) Carter Kingsbury can shoot, but let's not get carried away. He doesn't have his dad's stroke.
2) Connor looked to be moving well.
3) Patrick was limited after his second ankle sprain in the last month. The latest one looked nasty, as his whole calf was purple.
4) Perkins was sick Saturday and didn't practice. Played well in the practice last week....likes to slash and get to the rim.
5) I was hoping Ash had put on some weight in the last year, but he has not. His shot is funky, but it goes in pretty consistently. No idea how much he will play this year.
6) Riley Mulvey is a big kid with a really nice shot (only saw him shoot FTs). He got owned defensively but I guess that is to be expected for a freshman. He was definitely winded at practice. Definitely an adjustment to the speed of the college game
7) Ulis is reliable and can spell Joe T at PG, but it appeared to me that Joe has a stranglehold on the starting job at this point. In the two practices I saw, Joe shot the ball better than Ulis.
8) Rebraca....I guess I had super high expectations and that wasn't fair. I was hoping he would be one of our best players this year. I think he will start, and he can do a little of everything (shoot the 3, score in the post, etc.), but I don't think he does any of those things as well as I had hoped. Could just be that I haven't seen him play enough yet. I think he's like 23 or 24, btw, or so I was told. If he gives us 10 ppg I will be happy.

Anyway, that is more than you wanted to read, I'm sure. If you have any questions or want me to expand on anything, just let me know.

Go Hawks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.