ADVERTISEMENT

thoughts on who might be the next to commit?

The Iowa guys they offered showed them something at camp that impressed them. That is good enough for me. You don't just recruit guys because of who else has offered them. And it is not like they are offering them because they missed out on too many guys and need to fill roster space before signing day.

It has been awhile since I have posted to the football site because of the crap I have been reading, this thread is a good example. It is hard to believe that anyone would question Kirk and staff about OL recruiting. There have been two outland trophy winners while Kirk has been head coach. Both were 2-3 star recruits from Iowa, yet you experts question us offering Williams and Banwert after competing in camp. You Ferentz bashers should give it a rest. I think he at least should have get some credit for being an OL factory to the NFL.

Maybe some of you should tell Gallery and Sherff that they were MAC, UNI material.
you name a couple guys and thats the point. you are always going to find guys who play well above what they were rated but you cant build an entire team like that.

Those two examples just show how awful are staff is at recruiting, generally.

Not saying we have the best recruiting history but you are alluding to one guy who goes to Wisconsin and ends up transferring to UNI, which ended up being no loss there. And the other a 5* recruit who decided to stay in state and play for a team that has a shot at the national title every year and honestly only reason Iowa was in his top 5 was because of his brother.

Some people just bitch to bitch and you fit that bill Paul.

Anybody ever looked at Brandon Scherff's offer list? I don't understand why he is always mentioned when people mention all of the Iowa based OL they have been signing. Scherff was a wanted prospect, much like Blythe. Compare those offer lists with guys like-Paulsens,LeGrand,Waechter,Render,Barnwart,etc..Scherff would not have ended up at a MAC school. Dumb to even mention him in the same breath as the rest of these guys.

It has been awhile since I have posted to the football site because of the crap I have been reading, this thread is a good example. It is hard to believe that anyone would question Kirk and staff about OL recruiting. There have been two outland trophy winners while Kirk has been head coach. Both were 2-3 star recruits from Iowa, yet you experts question us offering Williams and Banwert after competing in camp. You Ferentz bashers should give it a rest. I think he at least should have get some credit for being an OL factory to the NFL.

Maybe some of you should tell Gallery and Sherff that they were MAC, UNI material.
Ross P says NO !

Some of those guys don't get offers from other schools because THEY ARE HAWKEYES. And they let the other teams know it.

Reactions: NomisHawk
Which scool in America would care if they are committed to Iowa? Kids get early offers all the time from large and small schools. Some of the recent signees didn't even earn early offers from the UNI's of the world. The qaulity kids earn offers. Kids like Heinrich,Campos, Scherff, Blythe, Piersbacher. You really think the relevant teams in cfb give a crap if a kid is verballed to Iowa? If they feel the prospect is a quality player, they will offer.

Reactions: The Outside Noise
Kids have to report offers as well and they can make it known to other schools that they aren't interested if they call. You honestly think the Paulsen's wouldn't have had more offers? Some kids try to get as many offers as they can by going to camps of schools, rivals camps, nike camps etc.

giphy.gif

Some of those guys don't get offers from other schools because THEY ARE HAWKEYES. And they let the other teams know it.

Kids have to report offers as well and they can make it known to other schools that they aren't interested if they call. You honestly think the Paulsen's wouldn't have had more offers? Some kids try to get as many offers as they can by going to camps of schools, rivals camps, nike camps etc.
Schools like Northern Colorado, all the dakota schools, etc...had offered some of the guys last year, early on. If kids are deemed good enough by the relevant schools, they will offer. Schools don't have to talk to a kid before they offer. You can't honestly think some of these kids Iowa have offered this year had/have any interest in Iowa. Iowa offere Riley Lees 2 days before he committed to Miami of Ohio. He was asked what other schools he considered, he stated-WMU. Iowa offered TE prospects, Luke Farrell and Nate U. Farrell stated he didn't know much about Iowa and had no interest. Nate U was offered by Iowa and shorly there after, he released his top 13 schools. Obviously,he had zero interest in Iowa. Again, the quality kids will gain offers, some early and some late. Hell, even one of the Clone instate OL last year gained a late offer from Louisville. Being verballed to a mid tier,at best,team like Iowa means nothing to programs out there. If a kid is good, he will be offered.

Schools like Northern Colorado, all the dakota schools, etc...had offered some of the guys last year, early on. If kids are deemed good enough by the relevant schools, they will offer. Schools don't have to talk to a kid before they offer. You can't honestly think some of these kids Iowa have offered this year had/have any interest in Iowa. Iowa offere Riley Lees 2 days before he committed to Miami of Ohio. He was asked what other schools he considered, he stated-WMU. Iowa offered TE prospects, Luke Farrell and Nate U. Farrell stated he didn't know much about Iowa and had no interest. Nate U was offered by Iowa and shorly there after, he released his top 13 schools. Obviously,he had zero interest in Iowa. Again, the quality kids will gain offers, some early and some late. Hell, even one of the Clone instate OL last year gained a late offer from Louisville. Being verballed to a mid tier,at best,team like Iowa means nothing to programs out there. If a kid is good, he will be offered.

The kids also have to report the offers. You think Lazard only had offers from a few schools listed on Rivals? yeah right. The fact is you have no idea who offered some of these kids and in fact some kids actually report offers when there is not an offer.

There are obviously kids who didn't have great offer lists and they are accurate but kids like the Paulsens, who were rated as high as 4 stars on some sites probably had a lot more offers than just Iowa. You really believe that Iowa State didn't want them? Or what about Cook? you really think not one other school offered him? or Boyle?

There are obviously kids who didn't have great offer lists and they are accurate but kids like the Paulsens, who were rated as high as 4 stars on some sites probably had a lot more offers than just Iowa. You really believe that Iowa State didn't want them? Or what about Cook? you really think not one other school offered him? or Boyle?[/QUOTE Paulsens- visited/camped at ISU before the staff members were gassed. Camped/visited Nebby before the staff was gassed, visited/camped at Minny. None of the prior staffs at these schools, nor the new ones took the time to offer. As far as Cook/Boyle go- Mangino personally recruits the QB's. He watches them throw during games and in person, multiple times, before he offers a prospect. If he wanted to offer them, he would have... They were after Burrows-the QB that went to Ohio State- and at one time, thought they had a good shot at him. Another thing to consider with the Clones is the fact they changed out alot of coaches after that season. They didn't have anyone left that had recruited in Iowa. They ended up with 2 OL from Iowa(Meeker and JGJ-both camped at Iowa and did not receive an offer), and as I already mentioned-JGJ-ended up with a late offer from Louisville. They also took a couple of Juco O-lineman, including 1 Tackle. They got off to a late start in trying to build/start any relationships with the Iowa high school coaches. IF those players were available this year? Absolutely I think ISU might have offered 3-5 of them. As you see now, they have been recruiting Hockenson and Heinrich, alot longer/more, than Iowa has.

About some service rating the Paulsen's higher.... Look at the offer list for the 4 star QB from Cali, that signed with Wake Forest last year.... Was he lying about his offer list? Did the services get it wrong when they interviewed him and he stated what his offer list was?

Just because you think a player is good, doesn't mean anything.. CFB coaches across the country are paid alot of money to find good players. Look at Heinrich-Bielema and his O-line coach have put 25-30 players into the leauge during their careers.. Think they know a little something about qaulity O-lineman?...Prolly a reason he has multiple power 5 conference offers. Just like Raridon,Campos,Blythe,Scherff,etc....

How many excuses can we all come up with to try and explain the reason nobody relevant wanted most of the Iowa O-lineman signed in the past 2-3 years? Are we at at the bottom of the barrell as far as these excuses go, yet? Blaming the recruiting services for not listing all the offers?

Last edited:
How many excuses can we all come up with to try and explain the reason nobody relevant wanted most of the Iowa O-lineman signed in the past 2-3 years? Are we at at the bottom of the barrell as far as these excuses go, yet? Blaming the recruiting services for not listing all the offers?

He isn't blaming the recruiting services for anything. Schools don't (can't) send a list to recruiting services of who they have offered. The only way anyone knows is if the recruit or someone close to him (coach/parent/etc) lets it be known. All he is saying is some kids, particularly early commits who know what they want to do, don't particularly care for the recruiting game and don't continue to tell others who might have offered them. Others dig the recruiting game and the limelight and probably do "enhance" their offer lists, and I'm sure many others in between.

Not saying looking at offer lists isn't valid in helping to measure recruits, just that there are exceptions.

He isn't blaming the recruiting services for anything. Schools don't (can't) send a list to recruiting services of who they have offered. The only way anyone knows is if the recruit or someone close to him (coach/parent/etc) lets it be known. All he is saying is some kids, particularly early commits who know what they want to do, don't particularly care for the recruiting game and don't continue to tell others who might have offered them. Others dig the recruiting game and the limelight and probably do "enhance" their offer lists, and I'm sure many others in between.

Not saying looking at offer lists isn't valid in helping to measure recruits, just that there are exceptions.
I unerstand that. My point is....this about the 100th different way people have tried to come up with in an attempt to defend the OL recruiting recently. Iowa obviously has alot of needs on the OL now and for the future. These kids could be good in a couple of years, but Iowa needed help for this upcoming year and these kids won't be capable of providing it. That is what happens when you lose out on guys like Piersbacher,Wallace,Campos,Okorafor,Kozan, etc,etc,etc... and are forced to rely on walk ons backing up walk ons,grayshirts, and lightly recruited Iowa kids.

Go away. Despite all the formidable contenders (this is a big world with a lot of losers like you, who try to salve their diminished egos by putting down more successful & more appreciated people,) you are among the most tiresome posters on the world-wide internet.

Not a small accomplishment for a small mind.

Not sure that OL is a position I would worry about until Iowa shows they can't produce good olineman. WR, RB, QB on the other hand...

Anyway, rumor is that Nick Niemann will be committing this coming weekend and another Illinois guy Romeo McKnight might be committing soon as well.
I wouldn't be surprised if at least two more people commit after this weekend's recruit cookout thing.

Reactions: SigMaintHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT