ADVERTISEMENT

Title IX: Athletes can play amid sexual misconduct inquiries

Colonoscopy

HR Legend
Feb 20, 2022
Saint Louis, Mo
I just took a ton of heat for stating that we shouldn't necessarily have a problem with an accused player participating in a sport.

When asked about the due process provision, the senior administration official said Thursday that to remove a student from an athletic team, or any activity, before a finding of responsibility is an unfair burden.

@McLovin32, @torbee

The law endeavors to be reasonable... just like me.

Honestly I don't think colleges should be conducting these hearings for the most part. Maybe sexual harassment, but things like sexual assault and rape should be left up to the real courts.

Too many stories of these hearings essentially being rigged one way or the other. When it comes to felonies, college administrators are just not qualified to adjudicate.

Honestly I don't think colleges should be conducting these hearings for the most part. Maybe sexual harassment, but things like sexual assault and rape should be left up to the real courts.

Too many stories of these hearings essentially being rigged one way or the other. When it comes to felonies, college administrators are just not qualified to adjudicate.
Correct.

That's been my thought. Especially state universities -- public money, so they should be more tightly bound to public law.

I appreciate the concern about the individual posing immediate danger to the community -- but wouldn't the legal system have already addressed this? I suppose if there some major inadequacy in extant law you could argue for action here. (again, have a hard time believing this is the case)

Perhaps there are some University level considerations... say, being housed in dorms or whatnot, that they'd have to do address. But I don't understand why there needs to be separate trials.

(Especially as they were previously configured during the Obama era)

That's been my thought. Especially state universities -- public money, so they should be more tightly bound to public law.

I appreciate the concern about the individual posing immediate danger to the community -- but wouldn't the legal system have already addressed this? I suppose if there some major inadequacy in extant law you could argue for action here. (again, have a hard time believing this is the case)

Perhaps there are some University level considerations... say, being housed in dorms or whatnot, that they'd have to do address. But I don't understand why there needs to be separate trials.

(Especially as they were previously configured during the Obama era)

Eh there are some contigencies which I think might warrant it. Like if you have an athlete who is sexually harassing female trainers and multiple trainers have issued complaints, they probably should be off the team because being on the team gives them more access to said trainers.

Eh there are some contigencies which I think might warrant it. Like if you have an athlete who is sexually harassing female trainers and multiple trainers have issued complaints, they probably should be off the team because being on the team gives them more access to said trainers.
And if there is obvious rather indisputable proof of the action happening. Suspend temporarily or whatever you have to do while the legal system does its thing. (basically some lever you can pull in obvious/extreme cases... albeit, used judiciously)

And if there is obvious rather indisputable proof of the action happening. Suspend temporarily or whatever you have to do while the legal system does its thing.

True, and I would also say sexual harassment might be one place where the colleges can adjudicate.

For example in a workplace environment the company might adjudicate on harassment. For rape or sexual assault they would probably let the courts handle that.

I like your 0n3/Hawkeye Report handle better. It’s amusing.

IMG-0878.png

While the regulations released on Friday contained considerably stronger protections for L.G.B.T.Q. students, the administration steered clear (probably until mid-November, huh?) of the lightning-rod issue of whether transgender students should be able to play on school sports teams corresponding to their gender identity.

The administration stressed that while, writ large, exclusion based on gender identity violated Title IX, the new regulations did not extend to single-sex living facilities or sports teams. The Education Department is pursuing a second rule dealing with sex-related eligibility for male and female sports teams. :)rolleyes:) The rule-making process has drawn more than 150,000 comments.

Under the revisions announced on Friday, instances where transgender students are subjected to a “hostile environment” through bullying or harassment, or face unequal treatment and exclusion in programs or facilities based on their gender identity, could trigger an investigation by the department’s Office for Civil Rights.

Instances where students are repeatedly referred to by a name or pronoun other than one they have chosen could also be considered harassment on a case-by-case basis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT